Remove this Banner Ad

Hornet

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2003
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
James Packer comments re. AFL

There's a similar thread going on the AFL page but I wanted to guage the feelings of League fans regarding comments James Packer has made about AFL, seeing he's a huge powerbroker in Rugby League.

"... the AFL is the premier sport of Australia and we would love to have it on our network, and we will try hard to end up with it on our network."

It reminds me of a parent that favors one child over another and even if true, I don't believe they were necessary...how would the NRL feel hearing these statements? Thoughts???

Of course he's correct.... to go hard at securing the AFL broadcast rights for another 5 or 6 years!!!!!!

At the end of the day, 9 has the RL rights all sown up and now has the opportunity to go hard at securing AFL rights to fill in the gaps... why wouldnt you?

littleduck said:
At the end of the day, 9 has the RL rights all sown up
I guess thats my point...Ch9 and League have gone hand in hand for as long as I can remember, so how do you feel about him describing the AFL as "the premier sport of Australia" seeing as he intends on broadcating both codes? Was there a need to say it?

Hornet said:
I guess thats my point...Ch9 and League have gone hand in hand for as long as I can remember, so how do you feel about him describing the AFL as "the premier sport of Australia" seeing as he intends on broadcating both codes? Was there a need to say it?
yes there is the need to fight hard on extending 9s right to broadcast AFL bcoz the reality is that the bidding war is fierce and could go either way at this stage. as far as RL goes, he can say what he wants bcoz RL has already got everything it wanted.

He is correct. I don't think RL would be worried about the bleeding obvious.

What they will be worried about is coverage in southern states of the game if Ch 9 get the AFL rights. When AFL was on Ch 7 RL was given better (yet still crap) treatment by Ch 9. In the past few years, RL coverage has been even worse and it is reflected in Melbourne's NRL crowds (whose big drop only came when Ch 9 started telecasting AFL).

Im not suprised by what James Packer says.

AFL has the massive advantage of having a respectable existence in NSW, QLD, NT and the ACT. With both rugby codes, SA, WA, TAS and to a lesser extent VIC, its a non-event.

I would say AFL is the premier code for the that reason only.

In saying that, if rugby league can get a respectable foot-hold in the minor states then I really think it would be the premier code in Australia.

As for now, I think AFL can lay claim to that although it is not anywhere near the dominance in which some of the AFL fans would have you think.

If we are to venture into the minor states again, the laws that be need to ensure the following:

* The same TV rights available to all states, including live State-of-Origin, Test matches and Semi/Grand Finals.

* Increased promotion at grass roots level in minor states, forget the NRL for now. Its like offering a kid a lolly in which they can only have one taste.

* 5-10 years time, an expansion into WA or SA, ensuring all the groundwork is done before a team is accepted. The Western Force will help rugby league in that area as 'rugby' will be recognised.

* In the meantime, NRL competition games should be played in SA, WA and NT,

he is a business man looking for a deal .... he is not going to say anything else is he?? They've just asked for a deal that doubles the amount of RL they show on friday nights so he can't think RL is too bad.

he'd also like to see the opposition go bankrupt by paying over for the AFL rights...

At Packer's level ... at this point in time ..... it's all just a business game.

You say what brings in the money and sends the opposition to the wall..... remember NRL is the highest rating program on Pay TV in Australia occupying nearly everyone of the top 20 slots.

I'm sure he likes money first and sport is somewhere down the list...

of the rich folk in Oz involved in TV... I've only seen pictures of Lachlan Murdoch wearing RL merchandise in his own private time.

It's not a matter of whether he's right or wrong. It's simply a business decision. After all, he already has the rights to the NRL, whereas he's in danger of losing the rights to the AFL. What do you expect him to say? If things were the other way round, he'd probably be saying exactly the same thing about League. He simply wants to see League, Cricket AND Aussie Rules all on his Network.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL is not as big as they think they are. In NSW there is two designated AFL grounds north of the harbour brigde to Newcastle.

In a recent survey in Brisbane the number o registered AFL players in Brisbane north of the river including Caboolture, Pine Rivers & Redcliffe local government areas revealled they had about 1200 registered juniors. This is the smallest of all codes in a population are of nearly 1.5 million.

The AFL have 2 (mainly) transported teams in a states that have nearly 12 million people.

Rus13 said:
AFL is not as big as they think they are. In NSW there is two designated AFL grounds north of the harbour brigde to Newcastle.

In a recent survey in Brisbane the number o registered AFL players in Brisbane north of the river including Caboolture, Pine Rivers & Redcliffe local government areas revealled they had about 1200 registered juniors. This is the smallest of all codes in a population are of nearly 1.5 million.

The AFL have 2 (mainly) transported teams in a states that have nearly 12 million people.
Fishbowl Syndrome. They sit in their ivory towers in Melbourne pretending they have a truly national sport and the nations most beloved national treasure.

I live in Brisbane. 1500km south of me.. to 1500km north of me.. the biggest show in town is Rugby League for 6 months of the year. RL is the peoples game where I come from.

littleduck said:
Fishbowl Syndrome. They sit in their ivory towers in Melbourne pretending they have a truly national sport and the nations most beloved national treasure.
Who? the supporters on BigFooty? the AFL?

I think you'll find that the AFL commission well and truly understand the challenges they continue to face north of the border but they also know the huge ground that has been gained. Millions have been spent and many more will be spent in their Endeavour to keep from losing this ground...a move that RL officials are only now starting to employ in Melbourne. The AFL has worked very hard for a long time to make it the biggest game nationally. A League big fish describing the rival code as the premier sport in this country is testament to that fact.

I find your comment baseless and nonsensical :confused:

I live in Brisbane. 1500km south of me.. to 1500km north of me.. the biggest show in town is Rugby League for 6 months of the year. RL is the peoples game where I come from.
Who appart from a couple of posters on this site has claimed otherwise?

Hornet said:
Who? the supporters on BigFooty? the AFL?

I think you'll find that the AFL commission well and truly understand the challenges they continue to face north of the border but they also know the huge ground that has been gained. Millions have been spent and many more will be spent in their Endeavour to keep from losing this ground...a move that RL officials are only now starting to employ in Melbourne. The AFL has worked very hard for a long time to make it the biggest game nationally. A League big fish describing the rival code as the premier sport in this country is testament to that fact.

I find your comment baseless and nonsensical :confused:
You started with 2 questions. You went down the path of the wrong one. I agree with you down that path. I was referring to the other path... BF members and the average Melbourne-based supporter.

Who appart from a couple of posters on this site has claimed otherwise?
Just making an observation...

Remove this Banner Ad

James Packer - Is he correct?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back