James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

Fetnarr

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nice little article regarding Sis, might explain some of the mental battles he's been having as a player over the last few weeks. While the 3 goals were handy, I was more impressed with the 6 tackles laid. I know the guy can be a bit polarizing but a fit and firing Sis makes us a much more dangerous side.

Bittersweet for Sis
hawthornfc.com.au

21 May 2017 12:52 AM

A late inclusion into Hawks’ Round 9 line up, James Sicily loomed as a potential Hawthorn ‘X-factor’ as the side ran away from the Magpies to gain an early lead.

Sicily was pivotal, kicking three impressive goals before half time.

However, the win wasn’t too be, with Collingwood kicking five unanswered goals in the third term before running away 18-point victors.

“I really don’t know what happened,” said Sicily post-match.

“In the first half we really did the basics well, took the easier options and were predictable for our teammates, but I think we just strayed from that in the second half.”

Hawthorn has won just two of its nine third-quarters in 2017, a statistic that Sicily believes competitors would be aware of.

Read: Match report Round 9

It’s no secret that our third quarters have been lacking this season, other teams would know that, but we’ve just got to keep being persistent, addressing the issues, and trying to find a solution,” said the 22-year-old.

“When we are playing the game on our terms, we’re pretty hard to stop as shown by our performance in the first quarter.

“But when the momentum shifts, we need to keep grinding it out and find a way to get the game back on our terms.”

After being omitted from the AFL side following a quiet performance against Melbourne a fortnight ago, Sicily decided to place a focus on the defensive aspects of his game. The forward finished the match against Collingwood with six tackles – equalling his career best.

“I really put a focus on trying to be good defensively this week, and in the first half I got rewarded with goals as a result.

“I think in the last few weeks I’ve been really results driven, and because the goals haven’t been coming it’s kind of played on my mind and I’ve probably got a bit frustrated.

“Today, I just wanted to do the basics well and perform my role for the team, and I was lucky enough to get rewarded with a few goals in the first half.

“But ultimately, it is team success we are after, and unfortunately we just couldn’t get over the line today.”

Nice little article regarding Sis, might explain some of the mental battles he's been having as a player over the last few weeks. While the 3 goals were handy, I was more impressed with the 6 tackles laid. I know the guy can be a bit polarizing but a fit and firing Sis makes us a much more dangerous side.

Bittersweet for Sis
hawthornfc.com.au

21 May 2017 12:52 AM

A late inclusion into Hawks’ Round 9 line up, James Sicily loomed as a potential Hawthorn ‘X-factor’ as the side ran away from the Magpies to gain an early lead.

Sicily was pivotal, kicking three impressive goals before half time.

However, the win wasn’t too be, with Collingwood kicking five unanswered goals in the third term before running away 18-point victors.

“I really don’t know what happened,” said Sicily post-match.

“In the first half we really did the basics well, took the easier options and were predictable for our teammates, but I think we just strayed from that in the second half.”

Hawthorn has won just two of its nine third-quarters in 2017, a statistic that Sicily believes competitors would be aware of.

Read: Match report Round 9

It’s no secret that our third quarters have been lacking this season, other teams would know that, but we’ve just got to keep being persistent, addressing the issues, and trying to find a solution,” said the 22-year-old.

“When we are playing the game on our terms, we’re pretty hard to stop as shown by our performance in the first quarter.

“But when the momentum shifts, we need to keep grinding it out and find a way to get the game back on our terms.”

After being omitted from the AFL side following a quiet performance against Melbourne a fortnight ago, Sicily decided to place a focus on the defensive aspects of his game. The forward finished the match against Collingwood with six tackles – equalling his career best.

“I really put a focus on trying to be good defensively this week, and in the first half I got rewarded with goals as a result.

“I think in the last few weeks I’ve been really results driven, and because the goals haven’t been coming it’s kind of played on my mind and I’ve probably got a bit frustrated.

“Today, I just wanted to do the basics well and perform my role for the team, and I was lucky enough to get rewarded with a few goals in the first half.

“But ultimately, it is team success we are after, and unfortunately we just couldn’t get over the line today.”

You're not going to find too much support for the kid on here.
Some weren't fans from the beginning and were begrudging in giving him any props, plenty have since come to think they know everything about him because of his 'pomp' and 'attitude'.
Me, I love his attitude.
Just needs to train on improving aspects of his game that require help, and then be fortunate enough to have some mids and players up field who can actually hit him up on the lead.....where he is actually very bloody good.

Still, wait for it, most will simply want to trade him or tie him up gimp like.

He's an 'in-between' player for mine - somewhere between a marking tall forward and a running half-back. Too many if these plodders in the side when we're craving hard-at-it mids built like tanks. One of the rare players we have left that have some trade value and should be offloaded at season's end.

His first half was great. Could visibly see that he was trying to impact the contest when he didn't have the ball, perhaps best exemplified by a 50 metre rundown chase on Greenwood that lead to a goal for us. He backed himself in and managed to kick three goals for his efforts. His tackles sticked and he looked like he was back in form.

Second half was a different story altogether. Whether it was his endurance running out, or simply an example of being a downhill skier, his efforts dried up completely. He fumbled, didn't back himself in and his defensive efforts were pretty lacklustre. Missed nearly every tackle he attempted. What springs to mind is a particular contest where the ball got out the back. He was in prime position to take it, but his effort to collect the ball was lazy and he was beaten by a more desperate opposition player. Instead of chasing, he seemed to hang his head and give up. Collingwood went coast to coast to score a goal.

Sicily has talent, and is arguably our most talented younger player behind Burton. But until he can bridge the gap between his best and his worst he's not going to be selected ahead of O'Brien whose marking, second efforts, and flexibility (forward, ruck and back) all eclipse that of Sicily.

Hey guys, sorry for intruding. But I just have a question in regards to Sicily. He's listed at 186cms. But I swear he's taller than that, he even looks taller.
Any chance anyone has a better idea!?

Thanks.

He's an 'in-between' player for mine - somewhere between a marking tall forward and a running half-back. Too many if these plodders in the side when we're craving hard-at-it mids built like tanks. One of the rare players we have left that have some trade value and should be offloaded at season's end.

While he might be an "in betweener" with regards to his height he can play more like a key forward and can certainly mark like one. I just find it pointless playing a guy like Vickery there when we have a guy who is already a better mark and kick for goal, is more aggressive at the contest and who actually wants the ball in his hands in those clutch moments. Guys like that don't come along often. He thrives on confidence.....Lets get him confident and watch him become a 50 goal a year forward for us. His defensive side needs work as do his second and third efforts if he works on those deficiencies which he has already identified he will become a really solid contributer for us.

His first half was great. Could visibly see that he was trying to impact the contest when he didn't have the ball, perhaps best exemplified by a 50 metre rundown chase on Greenwood that lead to a goal for us. He backed himself in and managed to kick three goals for his efforts. His tackles sticked and he looked like he was back in form.

Second half was a different story altogether. Whether it was his endurance running out, or simply an example of being a downhill skier, his efforts dried up completely. He fumbled, didn't back himself in and his defensive efforts were pretty lacklustre. Missed nearly every tackle he attempted. What springs to mind is a particular contest where the ball got out the back. He was in prime position to take it, but his effort to collect the ball was lazy and he was beaten by a more desperate opposition player. Instead of chasing, he seemed to hang his head and give up. Collingwood went coast to coast to score a goal.

Sicily has talent, and is arguably our most talented younger player behind Burton. But until he can bridge the gap between his best and his worst he's not going to be selected ahead of O'Brien whose marking, second efforts, and flexibility (forward, ruck and back) all eclipse that of Sicily.

All fair points. He definitely needs to bridge that gap. i just love the fact he wants the ball particularly when the games on the line.....you can't teach that.

He has fantastic offensive instincts and skills. From that interview you can see that this is how he judges his performance. In his mind he isn't having a good game when he isn't kicking goals. It's kinda the opposite mindset of someone like Puopolo.

A couple of weeks ago he made some seriously eggregious defensive efforts and was seemingly asked to go back and work on that and his mindset. It also adds context to Clarkson giving him games at half back, to try and instill an attitude that values defensive input and not just offensive stat outcomes.

Hopefully he works out his place because he obviously has talent.

Yep, why would you want an extra marking foward seeing as we have such a surplus.....

You're not going to find too much support for the kid on here.
Some weren't fans from the beginning and were begrudging in giving him any props, plenty have since come to think they know everything about him because of his 'pomp' and 'attitude'.
Me, I love his attitude.
Just needs to train on improving aspects of his game that require help, and then be fortunate enough to have some mids and players up field who can actually hit him up on the lead.....where he is actually very bloody good.

Still, wait for it, most will simply want to trade him or tie him up gimp like.

I love him. Just wish we'd play him permanently as a forward, where he is so dangerous, than across half back.

Gap between his good and bad is too big and seems to be attitude related more than anything

not sure he's going to make it at the Hawks, strikes me as one of those guys who'd rather kick a bag in a losing side than not kick one in a win

His efforts if the ball is within 5 feet and a goal is in the offering are usually good, if he thinks he can't get a goal or the ball is 6 feet away most of the time his efforts are poor

He still isn't committing to attack the ball, he's picking and choosing when he tries is what it looks like from the stands, it's frustrating as all hell because when he is on he is really dangerous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gap between his good and bad is too big and seems to be attitude related more than anything

not sure he's going to make it at the Hawks, strikes me as one of those guys who'd rather kick a bag in a losing side than not kick one in a win

His efforts if the ball is within 5 feet and a goal is in the offering are usually good, if he thinks he can't get a goal or the ball is 6 feet away most of the time his efforts are poor

He still isn't committing to attack the ball, he's picking and choosing when he tries is what it looks like from the stands, it's frustrating as all hell because when he is on he is really dangerous

What's the gap between Roughy's good and bad?
How about Breust's?
Rioli's?
Chips.....that's easier, right, everyone likes to pot Frawley these days....?

Interesting the standard the kid with 20 games is held to.

Let me introduce you to:

Jarryd Roughead (give him time)
Jack Gunston (play him forward - nowhere else) and
Tim O'Brien

How many marks in the forward line have you been able to count on in the last 5 years from that group?
Gunston's been our best, but I would suggest most Hawk supporters know we've been woefully short of key/contested marking ability for quite some time now.
Roughy is hopeless by the way overhead, relative to his size.

What's the gap between Roughy's good and bad?
How about Breust's?
Rioli's?
Chips.....that's easier, right, everyone likes to pot Frawley these days....?

Interesting the standard the kid with 20 games is held to.
This is a thread about Sicily though
And like I said his effort or apparent lack there of is a real sticking point for me at the moment. Right or wrong he comes across as a selfish player who doesn't seem to want to do the team things

If he brought the effort he does going for goal to the rest of his game he'd be a really good player for the club, maybe he can't physically do that yet but I think it's more that he doesn't think he has to do that

This is a thread about Sicily though
And like I said his effort or apparent lack there of is a real sticking point for me at the moment. Right or wrong he comes across as a selfish player who doesn't seem to want to do the team things

If he brought the effort he does going for goal to the rest of his game he'd be a really good player for the club, maybe he can't physically do that yet but I think it's more that he doesn't think he has to do that

Fair enough. What about his 6 tackles. Why would he do that if he's only going to give something when going for goal?

We had a pretty mercurial player called Ken Judge, went alright in his role and wasn't exactly known for his defensive efforts or covering the ground going the other way......didn't mind him with the ball in hand personally.

Ah well, pushing stuff uphill I can see.

Hope the kid finds greener pastures and a more appreciative audience.

Hey guys, sorry for intruding. But I just have a question in regards to Sicily. He's listed at 186cms. But I swear he's taller than that, he even looks taller.
Any chance anyone has a better idea!?

Thanks.
He's 189 , 6.2" in the old .

Fair enough. What about his 6 tackles. Why would he do that if he's only going to give something when going for goal?
it was about time he did that, he had one for the year up until this point

my point is when he wants to he chases and tackles, and quite often sticks the tackle, had a few frees from catching people

but he went weeks this year without even trying, and last night wasn't just a game of two halves for the teams, his efforts in the second half were not there

now he wasn't alone in that but there is a pattern with him that was there all of last year as well

like I said, I reckon it's all about attitude with him

We had a pretty mercurial player called Ken Judge, went alright in his role and wasn't exactly known for his defensive efforts or covering the ground going the other way......didn't mind him with the ball in hand personally.

Ah well, pushing stuff uphill I can see.

Hope the kid finds greener pastures and a more appreciative audience.

No disrespect mate but I think you have a bit of perceptive bias in your affection for Sis. Moreover, I don't think many have suggested that he be traded or tied up gimp-like (TBH I've never heard that phrasing before but I like it) yet. I acknowledge his offensive efforts can be very good but his defensive efforts/intent are found lacking. Its one thing to not stick a tackle but to not even attempt to chase ... that would drive any coach nuts. My recommendation is put him in the backline and see if he can hone his defensive craft.

Finally by way of comparison, take a look at what Tim O'Brien, Ryan Burton or Blake Hardwick offer offensively and defensive. This is the standard by which I'm measuring Sis ... and they are all sub-20 gamers.

I'm in the camp that he will mature and soon enough be returning a huge dividend for the club...

I'm optimistic he will mature as well, but there are non negotiables from a coaches point of view, and picking and choosing your efforts is one, even if subconsciously done.

He may have laid 6 tackles, but it's the ones he doesn't bother to make that costs him and frustrates Clarko.
A strong coach will never compromise on that, even if it means playing a "lesser skilled " player but whose output can be relied upon.
Whether it's mental or physical (in that he is too physically spent after 1 effort) he needs to improve but he does show a lot of upside and natural forward instincts in that he wants the ball in pressure situations which is getting rarer these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

Back