Traded Jamie Cripps

Remove this Banner Ad

DT=$92,500 SC=$103,600
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/101748/default.aspx

Height: 183cm
Weight: 75kg
DOB: 23/04/92
Club: East Fremantle (WA)

Cripps played with East Fremantle in the WAFL as well as representing Western Australia at the 2008 NAB AFL Under 16 Championship and the 2009 and 2010 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships. Cripps impressed at the 2010 NAB AFL Draft Combine where he ranked fourth in the 3km time trial and equal eighth in the clean hands test.

Cripps was taken with the 24th selection in the 2010 National AFL Draft (St Kilda's first draft choice).

Just a week after he was recruited, it was revealed that No.24 draft pick Jamie Cripps had been admitted to a Perth hospital following a diabetes-related attack. But Cripps has put that behind him to impress at Moorabbin. Lyon saved special praise for the defender when asked who had impressed in the brief pre-season to date. "I think they're all going quite well. Cripps is running really strongly for a first-year player," he said.

Kevin Sheehan says: Medium defender with excellent speed who takes the game on. Uses the ball well by foot and is sound defensively. Was an under-18 representative for WA, averaging 14 disposals at 69 per cent efficiency.

What type of player are you?
I am a half-back player, I use my speed to get the ball out of the backline. I also can play as a midfielder or in the forward line.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?

Heath Shaw. He is a running half-back who also can play anywhere on the field.

What are your strengths as a footballer?

My ability to run and carry the ball, my kicking, defending, marking, and taking the game on.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?

Midfield work and goalkicking.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/109990/default.aspx

25 Mar 2011

Hi guys,

A few of the boys and I are looking forward to doing a weekly blog to give you an update on how we are going each week with training, working and basically settling into becoming AFL footballers.

Monday

Monday morning I arrived at the Club to begin the week of preparation and training ahead of Round 1. It felt different from other weeks and all the boys were up and about with the first game of the season finally here after a long pre-season.

In the morning, all the guys who had played for Sandringham over the weekend had a meeting with Development Manager Paul Hudson. Huddo discussed the match and outlined the positive aspects from the game as well as the areas that we needed to improve in.

At 2pm we had main training. I definitely noticed a difference in this training session compared to the training sessions throughout the NAB Cup. There was a real energy throughout the session as everyone knew that our match against Geelong on Friday night was not too far away!

Tuesday

As part of the new ‘Earn or Learn’ program at the Club, I have recently begun an electrical apprenticeship so on Tuesday I worked from 7:30pm until 3:30pm. After work a number of first to third year players had a late training session at the Club, to ensure we could still get our training done along with our work or study. After training we had a weights and a bike fitness session to keep up our conditioning. I left the Club at 7:30pm after a long and busy day!

Wednesday

At 10am I was in at the Club for massage and physio appointments. We then had meetings ahead of training, looking particularly at the areas and game plan that we would be working on during training with a strong focus on our opposition on Friday night - Geelong.

After training, the Round 1 team was announced and all players in the side had a meeting to analyse the Geelong side. I was really excited to be picked as an emergency so it was great to be part of this process for the first time!

Wednesday night was then my turn to cook for housemates Al Smith and Waz Andreoli. Just between you and me, I am clearly the best cook, but Smithy likes to think he’s somewhat of a masterchef!

Thursday

It was another solid eight hour day working on my apprenticeship on Thursday. After work it was straight to Moorabbin where the group met to do weights and a light ‘touch’ ball skills session. As I am listed as an emergency for Friday night I then went to Sandy with a few of the boys for training and to take part in the team meeting for the practice game on the weekend. Assuming I don’t play against Geelong I should still get a run with Sandy on Saturday.

Friday

Today I will be preparing as if I am playing in tonight’s match against Geelong, to make sure I am ready to go should I be needed. I will go to the game and warm up with the team in case someone within the 22 is not right to play. It is really exciting to be part of this process and to get my first look at the way the side goes about match day during the proper AFL Premiership Season.

Thanks for reading my blog.

Hope he can retain his spot and whatever injury it looked like he had was just a knock.

Dave Misson said he's fine. Got a knock behind the knee.

They just couldn't take the risk of someone hobbling around with soreness for the rest of the game (I guess particularly a player who relies on his pace).

Re: 2011 Player Reviews

JAMIE CRIPPS

[FONT=&quot]Cripps made his AFL debut for St Kilda in the Round loss to Adelaide. Cripps kicked 7 goals in his 4 games and has been dubbed the Saints “supersub” as in those 4 games he started or was subbed in all them.

471107-jamie-cripps.jpg

[/FONT] Cripps picked up a calf injury in StKilda’s Round 9 win against Melbourne, which was later diagnosed as compartment syndrome, which required surgery and meant he was expected to miss the rest of the season. However Cripps was able to get back out onto the park to play a handful of games in the VFL late in the year. This wasn’t his only injury concern, shortly after being drafted in 2010

After losing 10 kilograms in November 2010 & being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes shortly after being drafted it has been a great effort for Crippsy to manage his diabetes superbly and simultaneously adjust very well to being an AFL footballer, enabling him to make his AFL debut early in his first season. You can really tell why he St Kilda Football Club rate Cripps so highly and given him the honor of becoming the first player to wear the Saints number 35 guernsey since two-time Brownlow Medalist & club legend, Robert Harvey.

Jamie Cripps #35

I’d left this review open for a while, as I haven’t been Jamie’s greatest supporter. But I’m tipping that people haven’t been lying awake at night in anticipation of getting the opportunity to complete it!

Full credit to the guy in managing diabetes whilst playing elite sport, followed by compartment syndrome (which sounds horrid).

My view just stems from a perception that he ducks “out the back” too much, shows apparent soreness if he’s beaten in a contest (yet doesn’t if he wins a contest), kicks more floaters than Grammy, and is very one-sided.

But he’s only 20, and could still develop significantly (given a clean run with injury).

He played the first 5 games in the AFL - averaging 7 possessions. He then played in the VFL, averaging 15 possessions in the two games he played.

Returning to the AFL in round 8 against West Coast, he was on early (despite being the sub) and kicked 2 goals from his 12 possessions.

He had modest impact the following week with 10 possessions, a goal, and 6 tackles, but was very ordinary in round 10 against the Tigers and was subbed off with 3 possessions.

Cripps returned to the VFL, and did not feature in the best until his fifth game (after averaging 12 possessions in the first four matches) - getting 23 possessions and 1.3 against Frankston.

He was promoted back to the AFL for the final 4 rounds, and showed reasonable form (albeit still relatively low average of 14 possessions and 1 goal per game).

Whilst some were disappointed to gain only pick 41 and a packet of cheezels for him at the end of the year, for mine this wasn’t that far off the mark.

2012 yielded an average of 9.7 possessions in the AFL (3.3 contested), 2.7 tackles, 3 inside 50s, and 0.5 goal assists. A season tally of 9.7 probably wasn’t a remarkable return in 12 games (given an average TOG% of 65%), with half of his games against teams who finished in the bottom 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back