Retired Jarryd Lyons (2018-2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Taken from a poster on the Suns board - can't vouch for accuracy but holy heck!
579553_79c3c9844ec7cd198c16c4b4e82f5cb5.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyons the Lion says he's back in the running
Michael Whiting
Nov 19, 2018 12:31PM

639140-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Jarryd Lyons (l) with his brother Corey at Brisbane training
I've had the surgery now and come back bigger and stronger in the legs and more powerfulJarryd Lyons

JARRYD Lyons says off-season ankle surgery has him ready to dispel question marks over his running and make an impact for Brisbane in 2019.

In a move that surprised many, Gold Coast delisted Lyons last month with one year remaining on his contract.

The 26-year-old was then snapped up by the Lions on a three-year deal.

After his first official session at his new club on Monday morning – he joined on a modified program last week – Lyons spoke to the media for the first time since his move north.

He said there was "no bad blood" with the Suns and he understood why coach Stuart Dew dropped him twice in 2018 despite being in the top-10 in the AFL for average clearances and contested possessions.

"It wasn't a terrible year that everyone keeps making it out to be, I played 18 or 19 games," Lyons said.

"I got dropped a couple of times, but I understand why and I could see why.

"I was battling with my body and had surgery in the off-season.

"My running power wasn't quite there, and I can understand why I got dropped and have no hard feelings in that regard.

"It was more to do with the opportunity I got up here. They were happy to let me go and I was happy to move."

Lyons conceded some of the criticism around his running was fair, but said he was a new man following the surgery.

"If you looked at the year before I did my ankle I was moving around the ground fine.

"I've had the surgery now and come back bigger and stronger in the legs and more powerful, which is something I've focused on over the last eight weeks since I've had surgery.

"It's something I've been working on and will work on for the rest of the pre-season.

"I'm only 26 and still have a lot of footy ahead of me. I'm going to back myself in to play some good footy like I did in 2016."

Lyons said the chance to play with younger brother Corey, who has been on the Lions' list for two seasons without playing a senior game, was also a key factor in his willingness to switch clubs.

"In no way was there any bad blood or bad feelings between myself and the Gold Coast. I wish them all the best as well."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-19/lyons-the-lion-says-hes-back-in-the-running

Last edited:
Jarryd Lyons' elite numbers
Numbers on a statistics sheet are not everything. But sometimes they are an undeniable guide to a good player, especially a player who spends most of his time in and around the contest.

If a player of this type – let’s call him Mr X - averages 24.6 possessions, 13.1 contested possessions and 6.5 clearances per game, and maybe 5.0 tackles per game, it’s not unreasonable to figure he’s a pretty valuable asset. For those not in the masters graduate class of AFL statistics, exactly what do these numbers mean?

To put them into perspective, Dayne Zorko has averaged 22.9 possessions, 10.1 contested possessions, 4.9 clearances and 7.1 tackles over the past two years. So if you signed Mr X you’d be pretty happy.

That’s why when Lions coach Chris Fagan returned to full training on Monday he had a big smile on his face. He’s got Mr X and Mr Y on board for 2019. But it takes a more statistically aware AFL fan to identify Mr X, who averaged 1.7 possessions, 3.1 contested possessions and 1.6 clearances per game more than Zorko over the past two and was only 2.1 tackles per game behind the Lions' tackling dynamo.

Having slipped almost anonymously into the Gabba camp after the AFL Trade Period, when his name was not even mentioned in the frantic 10 days when there was more player movement and outrageous speculation than ever before, Mr X is Jarryd Lyons.

It was a deal cleverly master-minded by Lions List Manager Dom Ambrogio, who had previously been a key part of the Gold Coast Suns' list management team that lured Lyons from the Adelaide Crows to the Suns. Like most outside the Suns' inner sanctum, Ambrogio was a little curious as to why Lyons was twice dropped by the Suns last season.

So, after the exit of Dayne Beams in the last hour of the trade period, Ambrogio did some homework, and after finding nothing but good things spoke to Lyons about driving up the highway to the Gabba. He offered him a three-year deal, and with younger brother Cory already on the Lions list, it turned out to be more than Lyons could resist.

Although he was contracted to the Suns for 2019, the 26-year-old cautiously suggested to the Suns they might like to delist him. And on 30 October, on the second last day of the trade period, they did just that. So, Lyons became a delisted free agent. And on 1 November, on the first day of the delisted player free agency period, he was snapped up by the Lions.

Lyons, who will wear the number 17 jumper next year, will bring with him the experience of 92 AFL games with Adelaide (2012-16) and Gold Coast (2017-18) and some truly outstanding numbers over the past two years.

As the aforementioned Mr X, he headed the Suns in total possessions, contested possessions and clearances during his time at the club, and was second in tackles to Touk Miller. He ranked 68th in total possessions in the League over 2017-18 with 910, and among this group, he ranked 38th in average possessions. So, loosely speaking, his numbers were better than everyone except about two players at each opposition club.

He had five 30-possession games, including a career-best 39 against North Melbourne in 2017. He finished 6th in the Suns' best and fairest in 2017 and 11th in 2018.

Lyons, whose father Marty played 27 games with Melbourne in 1975-77, is a graduate of De La Salle College and the Sandringham Dragons in Melbourne and was originally drafted by Adelaide with Pick No. 61 in the 2010 AFL Draft. Lyons made his AFL debut in a showdown against Port Adelaide in Round 5, 2012, and on a year-by-year basis from 2012-16, he played 3-9-10-13-20 games for the Crows.

After showing good form in the back end of 2014, including a career-best four goals in a Friday night MCG clash with Collingwood, he was hotly pursued by Melbourne. But he ignored the family link to the Demons to stick with the Crows and went on to play one final in 2015 and two in 2016.

After a career-best 2016, he was traded to the Gold Coast in exchange for two picks in the draft and was a fixture in the Suns' side except for four games missed with an ankle problem in 2017 and two surprise trips back to the NEAFL in 2018.

Insiders will tell you he carried a bad ankle throughout 2018, but he has started with a clean bill of health with the Lions and promises to be a value-plus pick-up.

History of brothers at the Lions
The Brisbane Lions will carry two sets of brothers on their playing list next year, with the Berry brothers and the Lyons brothers in competition for one special honour and united in their quest for another.

At stake, first, is the distinction of becoming the fifth pair of brothers to play together for the Club at AFL level. Will 20-year-old Corey Lyons, heading into his third season, for his AFL debut alongside 26-year-old brother Jarryd, who looms as a likely first-team pick after a trade from the Gold Coast Suns?

Or will 18-year-old Tom Berry, drafted by the Club last week, progress so quickly that he joins his 20-year-old brother and first team regular Jarrod in the AFL side? And, in a scenario that would suit both families, can the Lyons brothers and the Berry brothers become the first pairs of brothers to represent the Club together in more than 20 years?

It has happened only once. And it was not a day the Club remembers fondly. It was Round 11, 1998, when Michael and Brett Voss played alongside Chris and Brad Scott against the Fremantle Dockers at Subiaco. Not only did the Lions lose by 71 points but Captain Michael Voss suffered a horrific broken leg.
lyonsbrosweb12313.jpg

The Blowtorch: The player from every AFL club that must deliver in 2019
BRISBANE LIONS — Jarryd Lyons

How does a genuine ball magnet with elite clearance and contested ball numbers find himself at a third AFL club — on good cash, by the way — at the age of 26? From an external perspective, Lyons might’ve been hard done by at the Suns, delisted by the club despite being recognised as its best player, according to the Official AFL Player Ratings. Luckily, the Lions gave him a lifeline via delisted free agency. Now he must repay the faith Brisbane showed in him — a three-year deal — by becoming a reliable, consistent member of its on-ball brigade.
Aside from the Lions games against GC, I haven't seen a lot of Lyons in recent years, but on numbers alone, he is an excellent addition to our midfield, particularly as a mature ager and a free get. Seems a great get by the club, even at this early stage.

Midfield synergy impressing coaches (Anthony Wingard)
The Brisbane Lions are set to boast a dynamic midfield in 2019 with the new group looking synergised following their latest practice game last Friday, February 8.

The group, noticeably with the offseason additions of Lachie Neale and Jarryd Lyons, boasted a commanding presence in the hit-out.

“We've been very happy with how the midfield group has been going so far. That'll be pretty important for us this year,” Brisbane Lions Strategy Coach Danny Daly told lions.com.au. “It's about them getting synergy with our other midfielders and our ruckmen. They're coming together pretty well as a group.

The additions of Neale and Lyons to the group, along with the departure of Dayne Beams to Collingwood, have given the collective a new feel and getting all players thinking and acting as one has been high on the coaches’ priority list.

“The midfield has been the one area of the team that we have kept solid throughout the five practice games because obviously Lachie and Jarryd are new to the club,” Dally said. “They're both good contested ball winners and they've already shown in the practice matches their ability to win the ball and then get it out to our runners.”

Liked the look: Who impressed for your club in JLT2?
Jarryd Lyons

The Lions were delighted to acquire Lyons at the end of last season when Gold Coast let him go with a year to go on his contract. The 26-year-old had forged a solid track record as a hard-nosed clearance winner over seven seasons with Adelaide and the Suns, but showed he has more strings to his bow in the Lions' win over Melbourne on Saturday, kicking four goals as he spent extended time in attack. Brisbane coach Chris Fagan said after the match Lyons was a more capable goalkicker than most people realised, which suggests he could be regularly deployed inside the Lions' forward 50m arc this season. As Fagan noted: "It's good if you've got midfielders who can go forward and be dangerous."

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired Jarryd Lyons (2018-2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back