Rumour Jeremy Finlayson under investigation - 3 game suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to me that that the easiest way to avoid any sort of sanction is simply to swear at another player if you want to say something to vent at them. An Effing C or Effing idiot or something like that isn't racist nor homophobic. I am probably showing my age but at school in the 80's you'd be called all sorts of 'homophobic' names, and it would be water off a duck's back.

Anyway this is the world we're in and people have to be very careful, hence a simple cursing might be the only way to vent and make a point.

Seems to me that that the easiest way to avoid any sort of sanction is simply to swear at another player if you want to say something to vent at them. An Effing C or Effing idiot or something like that isn't racist nor homophobic. I am probably showing my age but at school in the 80's you'd be called all sorts of 'homophobic' names, and it would be water off a duck's back.

Anyway this is the world we're in and people have to be very careful, hence a simple cursing might be the only way to vent and make a point.
It wasn't water off a ducks back if you were a gay kid though, it was exhausting to hear that sort of shit day in day out back then. I left the country in the 90s and moved to the UK because hearing that kind of language constantly growing up I didn't think I'd be safe to come out here and I know I'm not the only one. Words have consequences.

Finlayson owned it and apologised. People make mistakes, he pulled himself up on it as he realised it wasn’t okay. I think the football world should acknowledge it’s not on publicly but also realise that throwing him under the bus won’t help anyone. He already knows he’s in the wrong.
He owned it because he was caught.

Pity the Afl didn’t get there knickers in a knot over the snorting of coke.Have a listen to this lot on here attacking anyone who has any common sense.Attack attack anyone who doesn’t agree with there left leaning garbage.How will you cope if anything remotely serious happens in your life.The Media goth at the mouth over this garbage fine the guy educate and move on.This site has become laughable.

Pity the Afl didn’t get there knickers in a knot over the snorting of coke.Have a listen to this lot on here attacking anyone who has any common sense.Attack attack anyone who doesn’t agree with there left leaning garbage.How will you cope if anything remotely serious happens in your life.The Media goth at the mouth over this garbage fine the guy educate and move on.This site has become laughable.
froth

The thing is, the AFL is a workplace, and employers have a positive duty to eliminate discrimination and sexual.
Go check out the human rights commissions guidelines on harassment and discrimination that came into effect earlier this year/late last year. If they don’t make a big deal out of CLEAR cases then what chance do they have of convincing the commission and others they’re proactively working on it to prevent? They don’t want more run ins with AHRC after the clarko/fagan hawks fiasco

The thing is, the AFL is a workplace, and employers have a positive duty to eliminate discrimination and sexual.
Go check out the human rights commissions guidelines on harassment and discrimination that came into effect earlier this year/late last year. If they don’t make a big deal out of CLEAR cases then what chance do they have of convincing the commission and others they’re proactively working on it to prevent? They don’t want more run ins with AHRC after the clarko/fagan hawks fiasco
Clarko Fagan fiasco has not been been proven yet.Maybe the fiasco is players lying for $$$.More damage is being done by making such a big deal out of this incident.

I will listen to the Afl when drugs are reported properly and betting adds don’t flash around the ground at each game ,gambling does more damage in society than one bloke making a stupid comment.Seriously the world has gone mad.Stop being brainwashed by deflecting industries like the Afl.

Good on him for admitting and apologising immediately. Said someone thing stupid in the heat of the moment and immediately regretted it. Will cop his punishment but hope he isn’t killed too hard online and in the media for it.
Even if it was in the heat of the moment, what sort of mind resorts to spewing out a homophobic slur? I mean, there are plenty of non-homophobic insults in the arsenal to use.

I'm confident to the point of certainty that in the same situation I wouldn't be saying something similar, even in anger my mind wouldn't go there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if it was in the heat of the moment, what sort of mind resorts to spewing out a homophobic slur? I mean, there are plenty of non-homophobic insults in the arsenal to use.

I'm confident to the point of certainty that in the same situation I wouldn't be saying something similar, even in anger my mind wouldn't go there.
So you’ve never said anything like it?

So you’ve never said anything like it?

I have, 25 years ago when I was a teenager in school. It was very common back then, particularly when you go to a bogan school. Not that that makes it ok, but edgy teens are dickheads.

As a 28 year old man in 2024 it's pretty weird that Finny's mind has it stored up as a word that can still be used. Suggests that maybe he throws it around in private.

You honestly think calling a straight guy saying to another straight guy 'you're gay' is as bad as a white guy saying to a black guy 'you black *'? That's hilarious, you've clearly been brainwashed if you think it's as bad.
Its not really about whether the guy is gay or not, its using the word as an insult, being picked up on a mic means impressionable people think that being gay is something to be embarrassed about or vilified because of your preferences. Weve moved past this

I have, 25 years ago when I was a teenager in school. It was very common back then, particularly when you go to a bogan school. Not that that makes it ok, but edgy teens are dickheads.

As a 28 year old man in 2024 it's pretty weird that Finny's mind has it stored up as a word that can still be used. Suggests that maybe he throws it around in private.
Where I went to school it was basically a synonym for ‘living being’. Granted I am older than him** and the area may have also contributed to that.

Mate, you need to get into the current timeline, its not ok. As far as reporting it, i believe it was picked up on the umpires mic
The current timeline is stupid and should be called out as such, we have gone way too far and precious about everything. There are so many thing wrong with the world but as a society we seem to make way too much of nothing issues like this instead.

You honestly think calling a straight guy saying to another straight guy 'you're gay' is as bad as a white guy saying to a black guy 'you black *'? That's hilarious, you've clearly been brainwashed if you think it's as bad.

Without excusing Walker, if he got more games I wouldn't have complained, but he never said shit to Tarrant - he said it to a teammate referring to him

Club trainer overheard and reported it

He never abused anyone, he used ****ed up language between his mates

Power should play in the rainbow guernsey for the next couple rounds. To demonstrate that they are are not homophobic .

Finlayson should also undergo some kind of therapy to help him understand his crime. Perhaps live as a gay man for a few weeks to walk a mile in the other guys shoes, so to speak.

Power should play in the rainbow guernsey for the next couple rounds. To demonstrate that they are are not homophobic .

Finlayson should also undergo some kind of therapy to help him understand his crime. Perhaps live as a gay man for a few weeks to walk a mile in the other guys shoes, so to speak.
What would this involve

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Jeremy Finlayson under investigation - 3 game suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back