"Jobe Watson never cheated" - Hird

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2015
kambera
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
"(Former Essendon sports scientist) Stephen Dank has never been found guilty of giving the players a performance enhancing drug and it’s wrong Jobe has to hand back the medal.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-12/jobe-never-cheated-says-exbombers-coach-hird

Oh dear, sounds like poor James may have lost the plot.

In its Arbitral Award, the Panel found to its comfortable satisfaction that Clause 11.2 of the 2010 AFL Doping Code (use of a prohibited substance) has been violated and found by a majority that all players were significantly at fault.

Sounds like they were found guilty to me, Jimmy.

Speaking of delusional flogs

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/job...g/news-story/c4b59cf27bc296d6fa022d9caec887fd

“In my eyes for, he will still be the winner, much like we still think the Melbourne Storm all those years ago were premiers. I don’t think it will change the perception of what we think of Jobe and, in actual fact, I think it builds the legend that he is becoming.”

How can ex players have so little respect for the game.

"(Former Essendon sports scientist) Stephen Dank has never been found guilty of giving the players a performance enhancing drug and it’s wrong Jobe has to hand back the medal.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-12/jobe-never-cheated-says-exbombers-coach-hird

Oh dear, sounds like poor James may have lost the plot.

In its Arbitral Award, the Panel found to its comfortable satisfaction that Clause 11.2 of the 2010 AFL Doping Code (use of a prohibited substance) has been violated and found by a majority that all players were significantly at fault.

Sounds like they were found guilty to me, Jimmy.
JH has become a caricature. His occasional comments defending the saga are embarrassing for himself, and for the players I imagine a highly annoying reminder of their willing sublimation of autonomy* to such a derelict and negligent motley crew.

*Hat tip to BC for this coinage.

Speaking of delusional flogs

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/job...g/news-story/c4b59cf27bc296d6fa022d9caec887fd

“In my eyes for, he will still be the winner, much like we still think the Melbourne Storm all those years ago were premiers. I don’t think it will change the perception of what we think of Jobe and, in actual fact, I think it builds the legend that he is becoming.”

How can ex players have so little respect for the game.

It's bewildering, I know. More to the point is the failure of grown men (adults) to accept their responsibilities for being at fault. It's still continuing with Allan and Lambert. Graeme Cornes came out with the pearler on 5AA this morning that "no one had done anything wrong and that everything had been signed of by the Doctor." Ummmm...I think Dr. Reid may want to take you to task over that Graeme. He signed nothing off. In fact, he was sidelined throughout the whole sordid saga. It's disgraceful how commentators try to manipulate history to suit their arguments and agendas.

Last edited:
He's right though, Dank was never found guilty.

As is the Hird and Essendon way though, although the wording is technically correct, the point has been missed.

The AFL Tribunal heard his case, and obviously weren't comfortably satisfied. I mean, how could they find him guilty yet let the players off?

Of course had the CAS heard Dank's case, he'd have also been found guilty.

As is the Hird and Essendon way though, although the wording is technically correct, the point has been missed.

The AFL Tribunal heard his case, and obviously weren't comfortably satisfied. I mean, how could they find him guilty yet let the players off?

Dank was found guilty by the AFL tribunal though? was given a lifetime ban has James forgotten this?
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-06-26/stephen-dank-banned-for-life-from-working-in-afl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going with Caroline Wilson for once
It may have been a clever line but Watson was right to say the fairest and best move was to hand back the Brownlow. He was right to say the Essendon saga does not define him but will affect him and his teammates for many years. But, even allowing for a small group of anonymous social media Neanderthals, my view is that no one of value has questioned Watson's integrity. Handing back the Brownlow should not change that.

Call me a social media Neanderthal, but that's ridiculous.

The supplements they were taking were clearly aiming to enhance performance - otherwise, why do it? Their justification was that the drugs weren't, at the time, banned. The players were fully aware of this. That thinking was always highly unethical. In all the PR nonsense from both sides since, this part of the program has been forgotten. Even before the WADA case, the drugs program at Essendon was completely unethical.

Watson, as a player, performed at a higher level that season than at any point before, or after, in his career. He was the captain of the team and knew what he was doing.

For some reason, people in the media seem to think it has to be black or white - Watson is either a thoughtful, man of integrity, etc or he's a filthy drug cheat and evil. in truth, his story is much more complex than that. He's a fierce competitor, who got the most out of himself as a footballer. He stepped over the limits (as many sportspeople have) trying to get an edge, and paid the price. He's been reflective and mature since. He should be remembered for his complexity - he's a drug cheat, AND a mature, intelligent footballer who had a great career marred by one off season where he and his team mates made some very poor choices

he's a drug cheat, AND a mature, intelligent footballer who had a great career marred by one off season where he and his team mates made some very poor choices

Who hasn't accepted any responsibility for his actions?

OK THEN

Who hasn't accepted any responsibility for his actions?

OK THEN

I think he has accepted responsibility, strangely enough. Handing back th medal shows that. His language and speech show that. What more could he do at this point?

As I said, it's not black or white. He's a drug cheat. He also has a heap of other, really positive attributes. His legacy will reflect both

I think he has accepted responsibility, strangely enough. Handing back th medal shows that. His language and speech show that. What more could he do at this point?

As I said, it's not black or white. He's a drug cheat. He also has a heap of other, really positive attributes. His legacy will reflect both

he should have handed it back the moment they were found guilty, not waited until gil took him aside and said "hey look jobe, we really don't like making decisions, but it's gonna hurt our PR more now if we don't do something. how about you hand the medal over and look like the good guy so we don't have to take it off you?"

he should have handed it back the moment they were found guilty, not waited until gil took him aside and said "hey look jobe, we really don't like making decisions, but it's gonna hurt our PR more now if we don't do something. how about you hand the medal over and look like the good guy so we don't have to take it off you?"

The CAS appeal was only resolved in October and Essendon met with him some time around October 25. Not sure we can expect too much more from him timeline wise.

WADA appeal re Dank not guilty verdicts at CAS is pending a awaiting the outcome of his AFL appeals tribunal finding.

So can still be found guilty at CAS...

I'm going with Caroline Wilson for once
Surprised and disappointed with Caro's comments there, she's fallen back to the herd and apparently fails to see the true neanderthals on this issue in her midst?

All 34 players lied to drug testers and their own club doctor about what they were taking. There are several possible reasons why they would all do that, none of which ooze integrity.

The narrative pushed by Hird, King, Caro etc. just further damages EFC in the long run. I honestly think they'll go nowhere as a club until they can say the words to themselves and publicly 'We tried to gain unfair advantage' .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back