Preview Jolly/L.Brown vs Ottens/Hawkins - Could determine the outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Football God

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man utd, miami dolphins
And that battle looks in our favour.

Both Ottens and Hawkins have had an injury riddled season, with Ottens only played 9 games and Hawkins 11 so far in 2010.

While our star recruit, Jolly, has played every game this season and has a great utility back-up in BIG Leeroy both going down forward and actually scoring.

Those 2 have only played together 6 times, winning 5 and losing the 1 against carlton. (ottens + Hawkins)

2010 Stats for total hitouts

Jolly 384 from 18 games
L.Brown 44 from 12 games :)thumbsu:)

Ottens 181 from 9 games
Hawkins 39 from 11 games

Jolly vs Ottens will be a good battle. With the form Jolly is in you could think he will have the upper hand in the duel with Ottens on Saturday night.

And that battle looks in our favour.
Jolly vs Ottens will be a good battle.

With the form Jolly is in you could think he will have the upper hand in the duel with Ottens on Saturday night.

Yeah, good point FG.

Maybe our boys can run them both around a bit, exploit edge in match fitness, wear then down.

Jolly, esp of all the four, is in top form now, holding his own or more in the ruck, and becoming more and more damaging around the ground.

Can't wait for the game.

Just hope the boys attack them and don't play some timid "you're better than us" type football...like ( it looks like) they have in the past, in games like this one.

Go Pies>

I would agree this is the one area where you've got the edge, and you'll need to make full use of it to win the game. I still think we'll win our fair share of ruck taps, and also clearances with what we have in there, but given the lack of fitness in our rucks, if you're smart your rucks will run hard forward and try and hurt us that way.

So many matchups you could say the similar thing, but I agree that this is a big one because it's one of the few that actually swings to our favour. Think it's going to be exciting to see the midfield matchups, but this definitely could be a big determiner of the outcome.

Probably won't have much of an impact in the middle unless Jolly is really putting it down the midfielders throats as their guys are good enough to shark a few taps. If Jolly can push forward hard enough and often enough it will really help out though as the way it looks at the moment Scarlett might have the run of the place back there. We'll need Jolly or Brown to kick a few and shake things up up forward.

I still think this game will be decided at either end.

Not in the middle. I dont remember ANY Geelong Coll games that were decided in the middle barring the 08 86 point smashing.

In each game, one forward line has fired while the other has fizzled. Seriously, go back and watch them. The midfield duels are usually 'relatively' even. Neither side dominates the other too much.

It's generally our forward line that goes missing against them.

Round 9 this year, couldn't put them away when we had the chance. They didn't put US away in the first quarter.

Last years H&A game, we could have SMASHED them in the first half with straight kicking, and even Josh, had he kicked the goal on the 3 qtr time siren it could have been a different game.

ALWAYS decided in front of goal these games. Always.

I think one of the main indicators of this match up will be which duo can hurt the other on the scoreboard. Each of the players love drifting forward and scoring a goal so whichever duo can get the best of that will be very beneficial to their side.

This is where I see it at. I think people have placed abit too much emphasis on the '07 Prelim and are over-rating the ruck position for this match. Sure, they're quite relevant, but the winning ruck combination won't necessarily mean the winning team. As SW stated, the main indicator will be who does the most scoreboard damage. Ottens and Hawkins are no weak opposition in this department, so here is hoping that Jolly and Brown can keep them in check, defensively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Jolly/L.Brown vs Ottens/Hawkins - Could determine the outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back