News JOM offered a week

Remove this Banner Ad

If he isn’t cleared it will interesting if Erasmus is first in or Brodie. Wiz might be further down the pecking order than we thought.🤷‍♂️

I think we need to appeal on the basis that Spargo flings himself into the ground - I get he has the arm but O'Meara is almost holding him up.

I don't think he'll get off, but if it gets the media calling out players doing this and shows it up for the self endangering bullshit that it is, we'll be doing the game a favour.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

*, the purple blinkers are on in here!

I thought it was clear that Spargo threw himself to win the kick.. which is, as it has been previously, the next reaction from players when a new interpretaion is in place.

Getting tackled... throw yourself with the momentum and get a kick on goal. Risk vs reward.

I’m genuinely at a loss.

I wasn’t even sure it was a free kick. Even on replay.

I mean, sure his head makes contact with the ground but Spargo weighs what? Unsure what JOM can do other than lay the tackle he has laid. His head contact was minimal.

Spargo has an arm free, so not as if the player can’t brace. He chose to hold the ball and not release it.

Other than that. Medium?? Yeah nah on that. It’s not even bloody careless. It’s a great tackle and Spargo contributes to the decision as opposed to JOM forcing it.

Like I said massively at a loss to how that one was adjudicated.
This is going the way of the high tackle rule - it was meant to reduce head contact but players are exploiting the rule and putting their head in more danger to win a free kick.

Spargo could have used his free hand to brace and his legs went floppy so he contributed to it. Sure he gets a free kick, but also an extra knock to the head (debatable whether his head hit the ground).

It's like players leading with their head knowing they'll get a high free kick but also an extra hit to the head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. If the charge was “potentially medium impact” I could at least understand.
Yep. Now if they said every tackle where some blokes head hits teh ground is minimum medium, then no argument from me. But.....De Goey, low. Then the Cerra one )which on the eye test Hickey's head hits the ground with a lot more force) then JOM is low and not medium....

*, the purple blinkers are on in here!

Excuse Me What GIF by Adopt Me!

he was neither slung, nor was it hgh impact, his head didn’t hit the ground, he flung himself forward and he had one arm free

iMO it was holding the ball, and the umpire made a huge error

Bell - show some balls and appeal

All of the vic clubs would and they'd get there player off.

Joke it was regarded as suspension when he didn't hit his head - got up and took a free kick and played out the game without issue

You sure? The alternate replay angle showed that O'meara had Spagos left arm pinned behind his back, almost chicken wing style.

There was an angle (aimed more directly at Spargo from front on) they were showing today when Ralphy was doing his news snippets during breaks, and he had both arms free, but chose to hold the ball, then JOM pins the left arm and Spargo flops with his right arm still free. That angle is not shown in the video in that link in the OP.

I suspect if the players were reversed we'd be squealing like stuck pigs and calling for retribution at the tribunal...

Nah... That would of been stupid. JOM would of got a similar punishment of Andrew Gaff if he did

I meant like the Daicos punch on Acres and the eleventy squillion other 'jumper punches' and 'rib ticklers' that are let through to the keeper.

I suspect if the players were reversed we'd be squealing like stuck pigs and calling for retribution at the tribunal...

I meant like the Daicos punch on Acres and the eleventy squillion other 'jumper punches' and 'rib ticklers' that are let through to the keeper.

why would we…the player wasn’t injured, there was no slinging action. O’Meara was actually pulling him downwards not slinging him

I agree with you Lach. I hope he gets off too. Head barely touched the ground, if at all. I'm just saying it looked bad, and the optics is what worries the AFL these days. And if one of ours was thrown/slung/rammed into the ground, regardless of injury, we'd be baying for blood too IMHO.

Remove this Banner Ad

News JOM offered a week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back