News JOM offered a week

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching JOM I’d even go as far to say there is no actual slinging action, he just tries to pulls him to the ground but Spargo basically jumps to make it a slinging action.

Watch JOM for how he tackles him and ignore Spargo

I agree with you Lach. I hope he gets off too. Head barely touched the ground, if at all. I'm just saying it looked bad, and the optics is what worries the AFL these days. And if one of ours was thrown/slung/rammed into the ground, regardless of injury, we'd be baying for blood too IMHO.
Rubbish there is no rule regarding looking bad. The guy flopped no head hitting ground. only have to show similar incidences this year where players heads did hit ground and they (afl’s darlings) have got off. We are piss weak if we don’t challenge and yeah how about we look to a different rep at these appeals as our current mob are woefull

Watching JOM I’d even go as far to say there is no actual slinging action, he just tries to pulls him to the ground but Spargo basically jumps to make it a slinging action.

Watch JOM for how he tackles him and ignore Spargo

Player wasn't hurt ,could have braced with his free arm and choose not to, why is it even a free kick let alone a suspension?

Last edited:
There's no way we win this on appeal.

His head definitely hits the ground and his arm was pinned.

Do I think Spargo was hugely responsible for this as well? Absolutely.

Do I think the AFL will all of a sudden recognise players are doing that? Absolutely not.

It isn't a suspension by any definition of the word, but it's a waste of time to get upset about it. We have Erasmus and Brodie in the wings ready to come in, we'll be fine without a week of O'Meara.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isn't a suspension by any definition of the word, but it's a waste of time to get upset about it. We have Erasmus and Brodie in the wings ready to come in, we'll be fine without a week of O'Meara.
I’m secretly pretty keen to finally see all of Ras, Johnson and Amiss named in the starting 22…

I’m secretly pretty keen to finally see all of Ras, Johnson and Amiss named in the starting 22…
I think it'll be great to see, all 3 of our pillars from the 2021 draft in one team is exciting stuff, three guys who are going to be pillars of our entire team for years to come, O'Meara being suspended sucks, but there are positives to come out of it, like this.

Absolute joke. The slinging action is actually instigated by Spargo flinging himself to the ground for a free kick. He had his arms free and had a chance to dispose and then chose not to. Should have been holding the ball.
Yep thought this as soon I seen it .spargo the little grub was the one responsible for the “fling” looking for free kick nothing more

There's no way we win this on appeal.

His head definitely hits the ground and his arm was pinned.

Do I think the AFL will all of a sudden recognise players are doing that? Absolutely not.

Don't care. The club should come out on the offensive and make a point of Spargo flopping. This behaviour needs more attention in the media. It's just as bad as the ducking and diving for high contact and push in the backs.

There's a very clear case to be made. All 3 of the following on their own should be enough to get off. In combination it should be even clearer.

(1) JOM might have had the arm pinned, but you can see he is actually trying to hold Spargo up to stop him hitting the deck.
(2) Spargo flopped.
(3) Contact was minimal.

Not saying it will work because this is the VFL we are dealing with, but it would be piss weak to roll over.

They recognise that players are 'shrugging' to make a tackle slip high.

They really should recognise this, too, but this is a really weird time for the AFL. They know they are going to face massive future litigation for not protecting players from CRT. Whether anyone likes it or not, it is coming like a tsunami on the horizon.

So here we are, with the AFL shitting itself and overreacting to every minor head impact. Sad days for our sport, but maybe the 'good old days' weren't so good either.

Hopefully some common sense middle ground can be attained, but it is a tricky situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

News JOM offered a week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back