deeman12

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2006
home
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
demons
The oldies on this board probably know this band well, and after watching the review of the movie Control i decided to get a few of their songs. I was wondering why Ian Curtis' voice was the way it was. On most of the songs, i could hardly hear his voice because the drums went over it alot and the quality was pretty poor, i do however like Love will tear us apart. Is there any reason his voice was like that, was he better live and why didnt the recording studio bring the best out in his voice not the worst.

Another band out of Manchester

Bout time you soft students started talking about decent bands.

Thats the way the songs were, son.

IF you don't like it, go and listen to some of Carlos' music.

And we wouldn't wish that on anyone

Firsly i defended you a bit in that really bad thread you started about Radiohead fans. And Oasis are a decent band mate;). Who is carlos?

PM him, and introduce yourself.

Ask him what he thinks of Good Charlotte and Oasis?

:D :D :D
:eek::eek::eek::eek:. Look i was brainwashed by a evil force working for those GC twins. I have renounced my old ways and i am of the belief that those twins are nothing but...F**k it, i reckon they are gay and the band as a whole are a bunch of twats. However i say nothing bad about Oasis and everything good to say about them.

The oldies on this board probably know this band well, and after watching the review of the movie Control i decided to get a few of their songs. I was wondering why Ian Curtis' voice was the way it was. On most of the songs, i could hardly hear his voice because the drums went over it alot and the quality was pretty poor, i do however like Love will tear us apart. Is there any reason his voice was like that, was he better live and why didnt the recording studio bring the best out in his voice not the worst.

I've never noticed a huge problem with the mix. What CD did you get?

I've never noticed a huge problem with the mix. What CD did you get?
I just got a couple of songs. In love will tear us apart his voice sounds like a mile behind if that makes sense. With any Cd you buy the artists voices can be heard well but with most of the songs i got his voice sounds like a million miles away compared to how loud the drums and guitar are. Anyway i read that the recording manager did that and at first the band didnt approve but when he made it they liked it alot. If none of the above makes sense, just compare the sound quality to any artist today and you can tell.

You fool.

deeman12 is the ONLY person who ever sticks up for you here....

'Thats the way songs were, son?' ummmmm..... not really the way for a 16 year old to talk is it?

Joy Division had some good songs. Curtis always sung in a very disturbed and solemn tone. As for the mix, drums and guitars were meant to be louder than the vocals. I think it just helps to make the mood more depressing.

Joy Division had some good songs. Curtis always sung in a very disturbed and solemn tone. As for the mix, drums and guitars were meant to be louder than the vocals. I think it just helps to make the mood more depressing.

That's probably close to the truth.
For any new JD fans I'd recommend "Atmosphere",a truly sublime piece of music.

You fool.

deeman12 is the ONLY person who ever sticks up for you here....

'Thats the way songs were, son?' ummmmm..... not really the way for a 16 year old to talk is it?

Yeah, like i really need people to stick up for me on a ****ing internet forum.

Mate, stop your obsession with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Qualtiy? The songs are almost 30 years old. How many did you get? If you got more than one you may notice a pattern. He was a depressive person which shone through in his music. Try wikipedia or something like that to get a background on the band.

The quality isnt poor, it's a raw, bleak style of music as was alot of post punk.

The set up was simple, tinny sounding guitar, heavy bass, electornic drums.

Transmission is a ****ing kick arse song and a great example of this style.

Transmission and Love Will Tear Us Apart are great songs.

Atmosphere is one of their gloomiest songs, if not the gloomiest. It's good but not great, IMO.

Shadowplay is an underrated song. Probably my second fave Joy Division song, with Love Will Tear Us Apart being my fave.

I can see what you mean, it just takes some adjusting to.

Oh, and Love Will Tear Us Apart is a top song;)
I heard the Jose Gonzales cover first so thats probably why i reacted when i heard the original. Not all the songs are like that though, Isolation and disorder are much clearer then Love will tear us apart. Ill probably download their album now. I'll see if i pick up on the lyrics that express his suicidal feelings.

Yeah, like i really need people to stick up for me on a ****ing internet forum.

Mate, stop your obsession with me.

Trust me, I'm as disappointed to see you in my chosen topics as you are to see me.

If you had something uselful or slightly intelligent to say it'd be fine, Id even make a point of agreeing with you.

Sadly, you talk nothing but uneducated rubbish...not to mention your terrible habit of ignorning people when they prove your rubbish statements are wrong...with facts.

Plus you're a dick, and I feel its my duty to remind you... okay son?

Trust me, I'm as disappointed to see you in my chosen topics as you are to see me.

If you had something uselful or slightly intelligent to say it'd be fine, Id even make a point of agreeing with you.

Sadly, you talk nothing but uneducated rubbish...not to mention your terrible habit of ignorning people when they prove your rubbish statements are wrong...with facts.

Plus you're a dick, and I feel its my duty to remind you... okay son?

go away idiot

Whats wrong son, shown as an absolute dick again.

****ing student:thumbsu:

Probably a ****ing arts student.

BTW deeman - good to see you into JD :) I wouldn't have thought of Curtis's voice as American, I think it is just really drawn out. Helps get the emotion into the songs. Just his style of singing, not so much his voice.

I mean you compare the singers from a few major Manchester bands: Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Joy Division, Oasis - their styles of singing do sound fairly different.

deeman good to see you branching out a bit... hang around the big footy music board enough and you'll get into a few new and great bands.

I wont lie to you, i thought you were a Lions then Daylight alter ego for a while there, but you seem to have moved on from thinking Oasis are the only good band on earth (2 good albums.... )

Props to you old mate

Probably a ****ing arts student.

BTW deeman - good to see you into JD :) I wouldn't have thought of Curtis's voice as American, I think it is just really drawn out. Helps get the emotion into the songs. Just his style of singing, not so much his voice.

I mean you compare the singers from a few major Manchester bands: Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Joy Division, Oasis - their styles of singing do sound fairly different.
My sister is an arts student and she is pretty normal, actually all her friends are normal, not the typical loony arts types. Anyway Jose Gonzales did a pretty good cover of love will tear us apart, for anybody thats intrested its pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Joy Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Back