oaks

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
So going into the 2012 season, which two midfield combinations would you prefer in your side? or if not these two...who else?

I have a feeling Murphy will explode this year. Could become the best player in the comp by a noticeable margin. A lot of people reckon Pendles was the best player in the comp last year. Hmmm, tough one but I prefer Murphy.

Judd and Swan are both champions, but they aren't getting any younger - for 2012 I reckon they'll draw for output and influence.

Carlton pair for me.

Pendlebury>Judd>Swan>Murphy

The difference is narrow even between first place Pendles and fourth Murphy but I am satisfied with my order and hence give my vote to the Collingwood pair for 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok maybe not a fair way off but his final series was clearly worse than the other three (swan did have a shit granny tho)

Judd's first ever average finals series has had an amazing impact on some of the more feeble's perceptions of his season last year. IMO Judd and Pendles push for one and two out of those players last season, then Murphy with Swan coming in last.

Swan over Judd.
Pendles and Murphy is a tie.

Not sure how Pendlebury does it, but he's easily the most efficient player per contested possession in the league. Murphy is a gun, runs all day, wins the contested ball now, hits the scoreboard.

Swan is a mature Marc Murphy, but with more hurt factor now, kicking plenty of goals in the forward line. Judd was good last year, but mostly against the bottom 8 sides. Struggled against the Top 4, struggled in finals.

Swan over Judd.
Pendles and Murphy is a tie.

Not sure how Pendlebury does it, but he's easily the most efficient player per contested possession in the league. Murphy is a gun, runs all day, wins the contested ball now, hits the scoreboard.

Swan is a mature Marc Murphy, but with more hurt factor now, kicking plenty of goals in the forward line. Judd was good last year, but mostly against the bottom 8 sides. Struggled against the Top 4, struggled in finals.

I guess Judds Norm Smith Medal doesn't count!! Stupid comment:thumbsdown:

Not sure how Pendlebury does it, but he's easily the most efficient player per contested possession in the league.

Flat out one of the most efficient in the league. Streets ahead when you consider how much of the ball he gets out of stoppages and in contested situations.

Murphy is nearly as good in that regard.

Everyone keeps talking up swans superior goals average, but wasnt he played in the fwd line more? it would be more relevant to see some sort of average of goals from his time in the midfield....of course if you put gun players in the fwd line like these 4 they will score goals.

Its a toughie and either combination is great but I think if I had to pick I'd take Swan/Pendlebury just because of their superior ball use overall (ie the gap between Pendlebury/Judd). Also I'm not sure what's up with Judd but he hasn't put in a dominant performance for quite a while, you would have to go back several rounds before last years finals which is a bit disappointing for a player of his calibre. I love the way Murphy goes about it though, the guy is just great at everything.

I'm actually tipping the youngsters to be the best 2 of the 4 this year. Carlton fans will probably rip into me for this but I'm thinking for 2012 it will be: Pendlebury/Murphy/Swan/Judd in that order.

Everyone keeps talking up swans superior goals average, but wasnt he played in the fwd line more? it would be more relevant to see some sort of average of goals from his time in the midfield....of course if you put gun players in the fwd line like these 4 they will score goals.

If he's in the forward line more then he's in the midfield less. He's ahead of Judd in both disposals and goals.

I don't reckon Judd would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Judd/Murphy vs Swan/Pendlebury 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back