Justin Clarke Announces Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldnt have thought he'd retire. I hope he does whatever he thinks is the best for himself and his health but wowee that would be unprecedented a move industry-wise if he did call it quits. Will have serious ramifications throughout the league.

Concussions are very serious and can have long-term side effects. He's still only 22 years old and Brisbane will take the cautious approach in making sure he's 100% right again when he does return to footy. Get well Justin Clarke.

I am happy to acknowledge I am jumping about 10 steps forward here, but I wonder with the Clarke situation and big Rog coming to the end of his career, whether we just became much more interested in Free Agent Cale Hooker?

I wouldnt have thought he'd retire. I hope he does whatever he thinks is the best for himself and his health but wowee that would be unprecedented a move industry-wise if he did call it quits. Will have serious ramifications throughout the league.

To be fair, I think Clarke is unusual in the scope of his options beyond football. He's probably in a better position to make a call based only on the health factors. I'm glad that he (hopefully) doesn't feel trapped by the fear of missing out on future earnings, because I expect that fear might've encouraged at least a few players in the past to push on further than they should've.

I don't know that his decision making process will be comparable to many other players, and I think that's a shame for them and something all of the football codes will have to grapple with.

To be fair, I think Clarke is unusual in the scope of his options beyond football. He's probably in a better position to make a call based only on the health factors. I'm glad that he (hopefully) doesn't feel trapped by the fear of missing out on future earnings, because I expect that fear might've encouraged at least a few players in the past to push on further than they should've.

I don't know that his decision making process will be comparable to many other players, and I think that's a shame for them and something all of the football codes will have to grapple with.
Very good point. Easy to imagine many players continuing on with the game for lack of planning for life after football. Clarke very much a different beast it would appear and good on him.

Greg Swann on SEN.

Don't think we will see Clarky for a while by the sounds of this. bad luck for him.

“He’s having trouble breathing – he’s a smart guy Clarkey a 100 per cent man in his VCE – but he can’t read a book or a paper, he’s tired a fair bit of the time.

“To take the pressure off we just said go away and take as long as you like to try and get back.

“The treatment itself I think is just rest and getting everything back to normal, obviously there’s some swelling in there but I’m not sure about the drugs they give to assists, but at this stage it’s mainly rest.”

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/02-16/justin-clarke-stood-down-after-bad-concussion#pGmAeAvcQAV0SXVG.99

Greg Swann on SEN.

Don't think we will see Clarky for a while by the sounds of this. bad luck for him.

“He’s having trouble breathing – he’s a smart guy Clarkey a 100 per cent man in his VCE – but he can’t read a book or a paper, he’s tired a fair bit of the time.

“To take the pressure off we just said go away and take as long as you like to try and get back.

“The treatment itself I think is just rest and getting everything back to normal, obviously there’s some swelling in there but I’m not sure about the drugs they give to assists, but at this stage it’s mainly rest.”

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/02-16/justin-clarke-stood-down-after-bad-concussion#pGmAeAvcQAV0SXVG.99

Oh boy that does sound serious. All the best Clarkey.

Would have to be big concerns now about the unknown of what the next head-knock or concussion may bring given the severity of this one. Wouldn't be surprised or disheartened if he chose to focus on the next 40 years of his life rather than the next 8-10 in footy.

Is one player on our list who's progression and work ethic has been plain for all to see. Regardless of whether he comes back or not it has been a pretty forgettable 12-14 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a huge fan - IMHO a 200 game Potential premiership player. But if you have any doubts Justin, give it away. There is more to life - especially one with the potential of yours - than stopping someone from kicking a goal.

This hits close to home. This is the exact reason I gave up my scholarship and headed back to Australia, and I'm still struggling with the affects of the head knocks. Hope he gets well soon, and the club looks after him.

Severe symptoms four weeks out are not good. The science says that multiple concussions are dealt with by the body creating holes in the brain so that the next concussion doesn't kill. It starts by not touching the sections that deal with basic functions that keep the body alive (such as breathing) but can take everything else, and with enough repeat concussions even that goes. I hope Justin gets well soon, and that every player that has the misfortune to have a major concussion has the support needed to decide on what is in their best long term interest. And that they have other options open to them.

If i was in Clarke's position, i would retire. There is no point in further harming yourself for a sport/job that will only last until you're 30. Clarke's greatest asset also seem to be his intelligence, rather than his football skills. There is no doubt that he will make a fantastic career for himself once/if he chooses to retire, however no game of football is worth self harming yourself.

Terrible news. I hope he does whatever is best for his long term health. If that means continuing his career great but if not, I think it is safe to say he will have the full support of the club and fans if he is forced into early retirement.

What terrible news. Would be awful to lose him, I think he has a promising future in footy but he has also has a promising future in many fields with his mind. It would be senseless to risk that and everything else to come after 30 if there's any doubt on his well being. I hope with time he can fully recover and has the confidence to play again but life is bigger than footy.

Terrible. Sadly I think this happens more than we know in AFL football and some players just push through unwisely. Fortunately Justin is a sharp chap and is probably more aware of how serious it is.

Would be sad if this ended in a very early retirement as he is such a key player for the future, but I'd completely understand as he has a lot of potential outside footy.

I am happy to acknowledge I am jumping about 10 steps forward here, but I wonder with the Clarke situation and big Rog coming to the end of his career, whether we just became much more interested in Free Agent Cale Hooker?

I would like to think the club was already looking at Hooker regardless. Quality defender who would make a massive difference to any side. Guess the major stumbling blocks are whether he wants to leave Essendon and if he does i'm sure the two Perth clubs will be into him big. Would like to think we could offer more money but thats all for later.. As for now i really hope Clarkey can get well and whatever decision he makes we will all support him. Health comes first and being such an intelligent man he has a career post football to consider.

Doesn't look like our luck with injuries has improved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Justin Clarke Announces Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back