Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I like you Ronnie.

you know as well As I do its hard to win a flag as a non vic side.
Have you seen our team
we have high end elite talent all over the park.
this team sticks together it won’t matter about the interstate grand final
The bullshit fixture and bias umpires we will be that ****ing good.
You need to change your tune.
Things are different now
I can understand others ignorance but if you can’t get excited for our march to a premiership you might aswell give it up.

how has he not got sacked yet, he is clueless when it comes to closing out close games, he just sits and sulks in the box when its a close finish
closing out games is the team on the field not the coach.

You can catch them how to win. but the team can still lose it

JL has done great this season and our playstyle has improved tremendously but to say you cant put our inability to close out games on the coach is being too kind.

We are unorganized and dont have a plan. You see Curnow behind the ball at late stages of quarters. Why didnt we do a 6-6-6 warning to get the ball throw up (which undoubtedly suits Darcy) for the last centre bounce instead of a bounce. A bounce favours more athletic ruckmen which Darcy is not. Why was there no sweeper in place, if theres no sweeper in place then surely Sharp starts at the back edge of the square. He's in no mans land there. From the behind the goals shot bombers setup makes more sense they have more numbers for us to get through meaning if we win it we will be dumping it forward. On the other hand clark is basically our only sweeper and he ultimately gets forced to come to merrett who gives it to Clarks man who scores.

Where is Sean going to hit this to give us a chance to win? Down to Andy who has to get through half the bombers team? In tight to Caleb?
1722763765574.png 1722764149682.png 1722764450668.png

JL has done great this season and our playstyle has improved tremendously but to say you cant put our inability to close out games on the coach is being too kind.

We are unorganized and dont have a plan. You see Curnow behind the ball at late stages of quarters. Why didnt we do a 6-6-6 warning to get the ball throw up (which undoubtedly suits Darcy) for the last centre bounce instead of a bounce. A bounce favours more athletic ruckmen which Darcy is not. Why was there no sweeper in place, if theres no sweeper in place then surely Sharp starts at the back edge of the square. He's in no mans land there. From the behind the goals shot bombers setup makes more sense they have more numbers for us to get through meaning if we win it we will be dumping it forward. On the other hand clark is basically our only sweeper and he ultimately gets forced to come to merrett who gives it to Clarks man who scores.

Where is Sean going to hit this to give us a chance to win? Down to Andy who has to get through half the bombers team? In tight to Caleb?
View attachment 2069048View attachment 2069053View attachment 2069060
Young should’ve gone to the other side. Obviously very attacking by the looks.

just because you dont see a plan in use . doesnt mean there isnt one

Experience players need to make those last few minute calls.

Sadly our three most experience were not there

FYFe . Walters and Pearce

Have you seen our team
we have high end elite talent all over the park.
this team sticks together it won’t matter about the interstate grand final
The bullshit fixture and bias umpires we will be that ****ing good.
You need to change your tune.
Things are different now
I can understand others ignorance but if you can’t get excited for our march to a premiership you might aswell give it up.
Lol I’ve seen the same chokes this mentally weak club dishes up year after year.

just because you dont see a plan in use . doesnt mean there isnt one

Experience players need to make those last few minute calls.

Sadly our three most experience were not there

FYFe . Walters and Pearce
Fyfe is massive. So so massive.
Pendlebury has played 400 games. He sticks around, and is so vital for their organisation in the middle.
Really hope we give Fyfe another year, really need his coaching and input.

Thought we pushed Mundy out too early as well.

JLo has shown a propensity to learn from his mistakes. I've no doubt we'll get something out of this and respond next week.

He's grown before our eyes this year; significantly more confident, and plays a pretty straight bat. He's even arced up at the AFL when appropriate. We were nowhere this year, and now we're pissed because we've made it difficult to finish 1st and could miss finals still. We're tracking well and still in the fight, a lot of that is down to JL.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the guys were fatigued. Coudl see it in Serong in the last quarter, we wer fumbling the ball and I'm not buying that it was due to pressure They were fatigued. It's a long season and teams are up and down. Essendon came out to play given last weeks performance.

Disappointing to lose by a point on that last play. We're better than that.

Young should’ve gone to the other side. Obviously very attacking by the looks.

Yes very true. It’s the only lane for Merret to get a clear run but Darcy has left a massive space right out the back by rucking like that. He needs to coming front on and cannoning into Draper, pushing him away from the ball, using his body to block

Andy could’ve rotated to the defensive side too. There’s no way Draper is hitting that anywhere but straight out the front.

Poor midfield work all round

Yes very true. It’s the only lane for Merret to get a clear run but Darcy has left a massive space right out the back by rucking like that. He needs to coming front on and cannoning into Draper, pushing him away from the ball, using his body to block

Andy could’ve rotated to the defensive side too. There’s no way Draper is hitting that anywhere but straight out the front.

Poor midfield work all round
They were set up to try to win it but in the wrong positions.

Lol I’ve seen the same chokes this mentally weak club dishes up year after year.
It’s something this young group needs to learn from
This was a carbon copy of hawks and blues.
The group can’t handle some bullshit umpiring which they need to playing for freo.
All three times umpiring was enforced by the colour of the guernsey in the last quarter and like me they’re thinking how the **** are we going to win playing against 22.
But they need to be better.
Our starting 18 was drafted from 2016 onwards, that’s ten years after pendles debuted.
We will get better.
Remember the tiges they’re core was drafted 06-10
13-16 they were littered with chokes in home and away chokes in finals
They were laughed at they’d been shit for longer than Freo’s existence but they stuck with it and gained experience from it.
They weren’t suddenly getting reach arounds from umps they didn’t change coach they didn’t gut the list.
Adapt and overcome

Last edited:
Ruck at that late stage is 50/50 at best. Young totally blew it by where he stood on Merrett.
PLayers are still Young and learning. jl surely will accept as an opportunity to grow

Ruck at that late stage is 50/50 at best. Young totally blew it by where he stood on Merrett.

Could have done plenty of things differently, 6-6-6 warning to get a ball up, defensive positioning to make an easy clearance impossible, giving away a free kick to slow it down and give defense time to clog it up, Darcy to grab it out of the ruck.

Instead they setup to win it when Darcy had a near zero chance to win it. Ultimately it wasn't the percentage play.

Last edited:

Imagine if we were leading by 1 point at this exact moment.

How much does the mindset change i have no doubt we go into a more defensive mode.

Anyway MCG games have shown you only need 15 seconds to get out of the middle and kick a goal after the siren ala David Mundy back in 2017 against Tigers.

Btw thinking of that goal now i reckon Neale ran as a far without a bounce as what Raz did yesterday.

I am a (somewhat, begrudingly) fan of J-Lo the coach, not necessarily the person. By that I mean, I don't hate on him...I just feel conflicted about his presence, his overall 'aura'. And ultimately, whether there's enough there in the character to take this team to the next level. I'd argue it's a smaller percentage of feeling, as I do think J-Lo as a coach has grown a bit and has a clear messaging manner and a way that has the players invested. But I'm not in the 4 walls, so I honestly don't know. These are just feelings, or intuitions.

I know there's not a lot he could do about certain moments in games....Raz and whoever the other one was running too far without bouncing (Sharp did this too I think against the Dees recently?). Obviously, there's a lot a coach can't control during the game, but there's a lot they can. Horses for courses.

What I didn't like seeing was a coach biting his nails, looking nervy and panicky. I don't like this. He needs to think about this, and how he handles these moments. He looked flustered. And that's not a good look for your senior coach. Of course, he wouldn't be the first and it's hardly crime of the century. But I just didn't like seeing it, I thought it looked weak and it typified the day. We weren't psychologically strong enough to cope with the boiling point outside the comfy confines of our Optus Ivory Tower. These are issues for mine.

Don't want to become flat track bullies either. We should have scouted what Essendon were going to try and do psychology wise. Their season was on the line, our season and a chance to push for top 2 was also there. We struggled with it. Yes we came back and got in front, that was good.

But we capitulated when it mattered most.

And I'm not comfortable with J-Lo pressers...still!! Too many awkward pauses and stumbles, stutters. Want to see a coach that can articulate himself enough to give me confidence even if it's more bravado than anything. I accept it's not the most important of things, but as an example I still watch Lyon pressers just for the amusement! Although he is versed in his own well-worn tropes and cliches, there's something about him that feels worth ingesting in. J-Lo's are horribly bland for mine, I hate saying it; just spitballing my honesty. I hope he wins a Premiership or 4 just so he can shut the likes of me up, let the football do the talking right..?!

This might draw me some heat, and that's fine but these things matter to me and it's just my own personal take. His demeanor, his aura...his projection. I want to be convinced not just given adequate doses of hopium so the club can uptake its membership. I'm torn with him, I'm 50/50

I am a (somewhat, begrudingly) fan of J-Lo the coach, not necessarily the person. By that I mean, I don't hate on him...I just feel conflicted about his presence, his overall 'aura'. And ultimately, whether there's enough there in the character to take this team to the next level. I'd argue it's a smaller percentage of feeling, as I do think J-Lo as a coach has grown a bit and has a clear messaging manner and a way that has the players invested. But I'm not in the 4 walls, so I honestly don't know. These are just feelings, or intuitions.

I know there's not a lot he could do about certain moments in games....Raz and whoever the other one was running too far without bouncing (Sharp did this too I think against the Dees recently?). Obviously, there's a lot a coach can't control during the game, but there's a lot they can. Horses for courses.

What I didn't like seeing was a coach biting his nails, looking nervy and panicky. I don't like this. He needs to think about this, and how he handles these moments. He looked flustered. And that's not a good look for your senior coach. Of course, he wouldn't be the first and it's hardly crime of the century. But I just didn't like seeing it, I thought it looked weak and it typified the day. We weren't psychologically strong enough to cope with the boiling point outside the comfy confines of our Optus Ivory Tower. These are issues for mine.

Don't want to become flat track bullies either. We should have scouted what Essendon were going to try and do psychology wise. Their season was on the line, our season and a chance to push for top 2 was also there. We struggled with it. Yes we came back and got in front, that was good.

But we capitulated when it mattered most.

And I'm not comfortable with J-Lo pressers...still!! Too many awkward pauses and stumbles, stutters. Want to see a coach that can articulate himself enough to give me confidence even if it's more bravado than anything. I accept it's not the most important of things, but as an example I still watch Lyon pressers just for the amusement! Although he is versed in his own well-worn tropes and cliches, there's something about him that feels worth ingesting in. J-Lo's are horribly bland for mine, I hate saying it; just spitballing my honesty. I hope he wins a Premiership or 4 just so he can shut the likes of me up, let the football do the talking right..?!

This might draw me some heat, and that's fine but these things matter to me and it's just my own personal take. His demeanor, his aura...his projection. I want to be convinced not just given adequate doses of hopium so the club can uptake its membership. I'm torn with him, I'm 50/50
Did you manage to get a look at what Scott looked like just before Amiss took the shot to tie it. There was certainly no aura around him. Also just because Lyon still throws out the one liners this is merely a diversion to distract from how bad his team is and they are only going to get worse until he is let go in the next couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back