Kangaroo squad

Remove this Banner Ad

melbournestorm

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2003
Altona/Parramatta
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
The full squad is Anthony Minichiello (Roosters), Matt Bowen (Cowboys), Luke Rooney (Panthers), Matt Sing (Cowboys), Shaun Berrigan (Broncos), Tonie Carroll (Broncos), Matt Cooper (Dragons), Brent Tate (Broncos), Willie Tonga (Bulldogs), Daren Lockyer (Broncos) (c), Scott Hill (Storm), Craig Gower (Panthers), Brett Kimmorley (Sharks), Petero Civoniceva (Broncos), Mark O’Meley (Bulldogs), Jason Ryles (Dragons), Shane Webcke (Broncos), Danny Buderus (Knights) (v/c), Craig Wing (Roosters), Michael Crocker (Roosters), Craig Fitzgibbon (Roosters), Nathan Hindmarsh (Eels), Willie Mason (Bulldogs), Andrew Ryan (Bulldogs) and Ben Kennedy (Knights).

Glad Scott Hill was selected but disappointed for Matt King and Matt Orford.

melbournestorm said:
The full squad is Anthony Minichiello (Roosters), Matt Bowen (Cowboys), Luke Rooney (Panthers), Matt Sing (Cowboys), Shaun Berrigan (Broncos), Tonie Carroll (Broncos), Matt Cooper (Dragons), Brent Tate (Broncos), Willie Tonga (Bulldogs), Daren Lockyer (Broncos) (c), Scott Hill (Storm), Craig Gower (Panthers), Brett Kimmorley (Sharks), Petero Civoniceva (Broncos), Mark O’Meley (Bulldogs), Jason Ryles (Dragons), Shane Webcke (Broncos), Danny Buderus (Knights) (v/c), Craig Wing (Roosters), Michael Crocker (Roosters), Craig Fitzgibbon (Roosters), Nathan Hindmarsh (Eels), Willie Mason (Bulldogs), Andrew Ryan (Bulldogs) and Ben Kennedy (Knights).

What a crock of sh1t! Tonie Carroll getting a game for Australia just shows what a joke international rugby league is.

The Tri Nations has now lost any hope it had of having ANY credibility. If I was in that squad, I'd be very dissapointed.

EDIT: I forgot. The reason he's playing for Australia. He wants to play Origin.

So it's official...Origin is a bigger deal to RL players than Internationals. What a disgrace.

I agree, absolute joke.

He shouldn't make the top 17, but considering Bennett is the coach, don't rule it out.

Pantsless said:
What a crock of sh1t! Tonie Carroll getting a game for Australia just shows what a joke international rugby league is.

The Tri Nations has now lost any hope it had of having ANY credibility. If I was in that squad, I'd be very dissapointed.

EDIT: I forgot. The reason he's playing for Australia. He wants to play Origin.

So it's official...Origin is a bigger deal to RL players than Internationals. What a disgrace.
And I always thought it was the other way around- State of Origin is meant to be one of the selection trials for a Kangaroos jumper, isn't it?? :confused: We need to make sure that test matches are the pinnacle of the code, as they once were for many years.

Good to see Hindmarsh there though :D :cool: Also good that Bowen and Sing are there- judging by their performances for the Cowboys this year, I doubt many opponents could live with them.

I don't so much mind Tests taking a back seat to Origin. It's origin that is what most of NSW and Qld look forward to every year, as well as the players i'm sure - Would be risky i think trying to make tests more important than origin because you may run the risk of making Origin less important to do so.

I've always prefered origin, and always will.

Pantsless said:
When the No 1 team in the international game doesn't take it seriously, you know the future of IRL is in trouble.

Lets not forget that Carroll has been playing SOO for years, so I spose the argument about the SOO being a selection trial still holds up.

Carroll would struggle to make the Kiwis line up in my opinion - he certainly wouldn't make the starting side, maybe he would squeeze out Kidwell on the bench.

The kiwi side to play Aus on the 16th is..

NZ team to play Australia:: Brent Webb (Warriors), Francis Meli (Warriors), Nigel Vagana (Cronulla), Paul Whatuira (Penrith), Matt Utai (Bulldogs), Vinnie Anderson (Warriors), Thomas Leuluai (Warriors), Jason Cayless (Sydney Roosters), Louis Anderson (Warriors), Ruben Wiki (capt, Canberra), Tony Puletua (Penrith), Joe Galuvao (Penrith), Sonny Bill Williams (Bulldogs), Motu Tony (Castleford), Roy Asotasi (Bulldogs), Nathan Cayless (Parramatta), David Kidwell (Melbourne).

Remember that Rauhihi and Lauititi are still to come into this side.

dr nick said:
I don't so much mind Tests taking a back seat to Origin. It's origin that is what most of NSW and Qld look forward to every year, as well as the players i'm sure - Would be risky i think trying to make tests more important than origin because you may run the risk of making Origin less important to do so.

I've always prefered origin, and always will.

I think the players and fans would look forward to tests more if the Aussies were consistently challenged at this level.

Its unlikely the Poms could beat us regularly, but I have some hopes for the Kiwis in another couple of years.

Pantsless said:
When the No 1 team in the international game doesn't take it seriously, you know the future of IRL is in trouble.

They haven't taken it seriously for years. Nothing has changed.

SOO and Club footy come before Internationals, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

I'll tell what. That Kiwi team looks DAMN strong. Especially the forwards - Jason Cayless , Wiki , Puletua, Galuvao , Sonny Bill Williams , Asotasi, Nathan Cayless , Kidwell.

Some great players there. If they go into the games with belief, they can take win the whole thing.

Mark Rudd said:
I'll tell what. That Kiwi team looks DAMN strong. Especially the forwards - Jason Cayless , Wiki , Puletua, Galuvao , Sonny Bill Williams , Asotasi, Nathan Cayless , Kidwell.

Some great players there. If they go into the games with belief, they can take win the whole thing.

no halves though...who will direct them around the park?

They'll struggle...I think they'll come 3rd, which will be appropriate as the All Blacks came 3rd in the RU tri-nations...and the last two RWC's :cool:

Kangaroos by 18 in a couple of weeks.

AuckMel said:
They haven't taken it seriously for years. Nothing has changed.

SOO and Club footy come before Internationals, and that's not going to change anytime soon.
I think that's rather sad. IMHO Rugby League needs a healthy and competitive international scene a la Union and soccer, it's something which could help expand the appeal the game nationally and worldwide. International competition needs to be nurtured as such- two tests each vs England and New Zealand, with tests vs Wales, Papua New Guinea and France, would be a good start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Votoupal said:
I think that's rather sad. IMHO Rugby League needs a healthy and competitive international scene a la Union and soccer, it's something which could help expand the appeal the game nationally and worldwide. International competition needs to be nurtured as such- two tests each vs England and New Zealand, with tests vs Wales, Papua New Guinea and France, would be a good start.

I used to love my International Football and would do anything to promote it, but the years have taken it's toll on me, and I leave it to those with more patience than I've got.

Even for the match against Australia next week, the Kiwis are at a disadvantage. We don't get to pick all available players due to the ESL GF, and you can bet your bottom dollar an Australian will be the referee.

I want more Internationals, but they must be structured right. Continuing to go to the UK is a bad move. What about the game in NZ? I can't remember the last time Great Britain stepped foot in New Zealand. While the seem happy to feed of our junior development, they put little back into the game there.

For the International game to thrive, the NRL and ESL have to finish there seasons earlier, or have a break during the year. Maybe play SOO over 3 continuous weeks, while the Kiwis, GB, France and PNG have a 4 nations type tournament.

The biggest problem facing the International game is, getting the Aussies and English out of control of the International Board. At least then it will make decisions which are right for the game, rather than themselves.

Mint Condition said:
no halves though...who will direct them around the park?

Yep, that's the big worry.

Mint Condition said:
They'll struggle...I think they'll come 3rd

I reckon they can beat GB. Robbie Paul becomes available in the UK which should solve the HB problem.

Mint Condition said:
Kangaroos by 18 in a couple of weeks.

Despite the jacked up odds, a Kiwi win wouldn't surprise me one bit. A bit like last year when an understrength Kiwis accounted for the Kangaroos.

Leading player-manager David Riolo says the selection of Tonie Carroll in the Australian squad for the upcoming Tri Nations series cheapens international rugby league.

Brisbane lock Carroll is set to become the first rugby league player in 90 years to play for both Australia and New Zealand.

He was given special dispensation to play for the Kiwis in the 2000 World Cup.

Riolo says it's a different story for emerging nations such as Fiji or Russia, but he believes NRL players should be barred from playing for both the Roos and the Kiwis.

Riolo manages Brisbane teenager Karmichael Hunt, who turned his back on a New Zealand jersey this year in the hope of playing Origin football for Queensland.

Source: SMH

Why bother anyway??

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroo squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back