Gods_Son23

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd & Melb Vic
Is it just me or has the Kicking In Danger rule pretty much gone out of the game? You often see a player going for the ball nearly getting kicked while the ball is on the ground with no free kick being paid.

This seems to rear its head when we have wet weather football such as we saw at the weekend.

There were a couple of frees paid in the Geelong - Richmond game, and I saw several paid in a local league game - again played in rather wet conditions.

In drier weather the ball moves faster, players are able to release it in the correct manner or push it out of a contest and there are very little if any attempts to kick the ball out of players hands.

It's still payable if the umpire feels there's geniune possiblity of an injury, effectively. So nowhere near as much as it used to be where it was almost automatic when you had your hand on the aggot when someone kicked it.

Had one payed in my game last week, which saved my butt, cause the defenders hand, the attackers boot and the ball all pretty much came together at one time, and it all happened so quick I had no idea what happened first...So I didn't have to try and decide whether the ball was touched or a legit goal.

I pay it if it's there, which is not too often, but you'll find that with the pace of the game currently, the common umpire will not be in the best position to see that kind of free kick.

Deledio had his wrist broken by Shannon Grant late last season - got a free. Think that's pretty much what has to happen for an "in danger" free to be paid these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicking In Danger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back