Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
This post wont be that easy to read, and many wont want to read any of it, but I thought I'd share it.

I know a guy who trains athletes correct co-ordination patterns.
He trains the best golfers, baseballers etc in the world.

Basically the belief in what he does is that all sports movement starts at the ground.
What you do with your feet (creating torsion etc) is what eventually delivers the power.

But the only way that power is correctly transferred to the end result is by making sure all sequences of the action are trained correctly.

It's pretty deep and changes dependant on the sport. But things like "when should your hip rotate, and then the shoulder, and then the leg" etc. etc. (known as Kinetic Link)
They measure everything in 3D and then train to get the co-ordination patterns correct.

In effect they remove any power leaks.

So I thought I'd ask him about the kicking action. ie. why can some kick it a long way.
I found his answer with regards to injuries interesting.

You will struggle to read his reply a bit. This guy nearly died in a horrific accident a few years ago and had to learn how to read and talk again, so sometimes it shows up in what he writes. Just try to find a way through it :)

Again, many wont want to read it :)

Q: Do many cricketers or footballers do this sort of stuff?
I was thinking about it today.
You see a lot of bowlers leak power through the delivery stride, and you can see great kickers of the footy who just can’t kick it long distances.
This cannot come down to muscle etc.
It’s a technique issue of course, but is it the lack of use of ground forces that restrict the power on release / impact?

A: I did a bunch of testing for an AFL club, what we did find between efficient kickers who kicked to the ball long and accurate in comparison to a short kicker. Is how efficiently they utilised all the power generated from the ground up and transferred all their speed into the football. The guys who kicked it long utilised majority of all their speed from the ground up. They had great connection with the ground and had an effective kinetic link.

Short kicker, break down in ground connection and stability, acceleration deceleration patterns were poor or break downs. Muscular loading or break downs in stretch shorten cycle of muscles in segments. Again they have a break down in their kinetic link to utilise speed and power at the point of impact.

What we have found short kickers or kickers have break downs in their kinetic link have a high rate of injuries. Mainly ACL’s, hamstring tears etc. This is due to create over acceleration speed of the kicking leg, producing superficial speed to over compensating for a break down in their link. This cause over extension of the knee and hip extension.

This is due to there aren’t using the stretch/shorten of the muscles to accelerate deceleration of each segment. Instead if the segment decelerating it kick on acceleration put velocity and force on their knee joint centres and muscles.
Again it’s the left leg, torso, right leg, knee extension, foot. Kinetic link.
The stretch shorten applies between each segment.

Bowling is similar to throwing a baseball really again same old same old again.
It’s all about coordination or the muscles and ground in any sport really once you have the basic understanding cycling, running, walking and kicking are a similar pattern in movement and coordination.

Any rotational sport like, tennis, baseball and golf again similar patterns in coordination and movement. The same principles apply.

Although when it comes to the sport at hand you have to train the coordination and movement specific to that activity. This is known as specific activity coordination. We Tailor Progressive Skills Training specific to that activity and custom built specific and individually for that athlete.

Nothing new in these sports or difference really Vin

Yeah it's too technical for me to discuss really.

But affectively every action has a number of sequences and if one of those break down you're going to lose power and develop an injury.

So, just making stuff up.
Let's assume part of the kicking process is right hip back, followed by right shoulder, right thighs, knee bend etc.

They are all meant to accelerate in sequence, and decelerate in sequence.
Let's say step 2 (shoulder) doesn't accelerate correctly you are going to leak power.
And you'll try to compromise by over accelerating the thigh etc.

You'll never get the power back that you lost and you'll develop an injury.

The drills they would give might be as simple as holding a beach ball to your chest and rotating right for 20 minutes 3 days a week. No kicking needed. And that movement will naturally find it's way into your technique to repair the sequence.

Again, I'm making that last bit up, but that's the gist of it.

And I was wondering if this is where Chappys problem has come from.

Excellent read and point Vinum. Chappy appears to predominantly generate most of his kicking power though the acceleration of his right leg from what i've seen on the telly. Could well be the reason for his frustrating hamstring troubles.

agree with all that, just watch Josh Hunt go to kick a long ball and it's like someone slowly pulling an elastic band as far back as they can before letting go and his follow through is supreme.

Ben Graham was another who had complete control of his motion when kicking a drop punt or torpedo, all came from the feet upwards which is why I struggle to see how Bartel is able to kick beyond 50 with relative ease because his action is quite unorthodox....the follow through ends up at an angle not dissimilar to players have a snapshot

319875-jimmy-bartel.jpg

but it works for him and makes the journey anywhere between 50-55 metres out no probs.

In a non technical way , a lot of this is common sense. Just like an engine that gets hot is losing power and transferring potential performance into heat , a poor technique kills an output. Look at Hawkins , the size the strength of him. He should kick the ball the length of a Rocca , before last year his fade slice meant he quite often struggled to get to 50. He changed the way he kicked and won a game form outside that mark. If anone has played golf , and just half hit a ball from under the trees and the ball has flown because the contact was pure , it sort of shows how much effort is lost with the huge swings of a club.

It is common sense Turbo.
The big thing about it though is that most of the faults cant be seen with the naked eye or on video.

I'm talking about correct sequencing (kinetic link)
So a great kick of the footy may still be breaking down in an area and gradually creating an injury.
No I have no financial interest in this stuff at all. I just think it's interesting.

Especially with bowlers in cricket. How many of them get injured?

In a non technical way , a lot of this is common sense. Just like an engine that gets hot is losing power and transferring potential performance into heat , a poor technique kills an output. Look at Hawkins , the size the strength of him. He should kick the ball the length of a Rocca , before last year his fade slice meant he quite often struggled to get to 50. He changed the way he kicked and won a game form outside that mark. If anone has played golf , and just half hit a ball from under the trees and the ball has flown because the contact was pure , it sort of shows how much effort is lost with the huge swings of a club.
I live under there:(

If anone has played golf , and just half hit a ball from under the trees and the ball has flown because the contact was pure , it sort of shows how much effort is lost with the huge swings of a club.

That's a bit different though.
There is a great golf coach that says "if you want to know the difference between a golfer who is a swinger, and a golfer that is a hitter, remember the feeling after you play one from under the trees next time. That is a hitter"

Sorry, sidetrack :)

It is common sense Turbo.
The big thing about it though is that most of the faults cant be seen with the naked eye or on video.

I'm talking about correct sequencing (kinetic link)
So a great kick of the footy may still be breaking down in an area and gradually creating an injury.
No I have no financial interest in this stuff at all. I just think it's interesting.

Especially with bowlers in cricket. How many of them get injured?

HEY... in Trouble with the Curve , all Clint need was the sound. I suspect that everyone doing the same technical will still result in some loss for some players. Big waste to me was our old mate KK , if he could have kicked like McKenna he could have been a star

I think kicking is a different action to most other things you can think of in sports in that it involves two moving objects, controlled by the exponent, connecting at the same time, unlike a moving object connecting with a (relatively) stationary object. Kids even learn hitting a cricket ball via the stocking on the clothesline, before progressing to the nets. In that sense, I think kicking a footy is probably most similar to a serve in tennis.

The ball drop is so important and I think it's why the theory of a 'confidence kicker' happens. Confident kickers make the connection when the ball is closer to the ground, whereas kickers who are lacking in confidence make their connection to early, which causes the ball to go higher (and more often, get sprayed).

I've probably run the table as a kicker: from being an absolutely atrocious kick in my mid-teens as a relative latecomer to seriously playing the game in my mid-teens (had never even learnt how drop the ball properly as a kid...I was on my way to being the next Warwick Capper); to reaching my peak probably from about 17-21 (could regularly kick drop punts 55-60m and the occasional torp a fair bit further, though I was never consistent at really getting on to a torp); to a serious case of the Mooneys (although it affected my field kicking as well), after an extended lay-off and finally to being a good kick (though nowhere near as long) now.

And I agree with the theory that confidence is the most important thing. From having a kick a few metres outside 50 and having most of your teammates just automatically running back to the centre square, to taking a mark 40m out and having 2-3 blokes try running out the back to get a cheapie hand-off (and seriously thinking about giving it)...it makes a massive difference to your attitude. So I sort of hated seeing Moons and Hawk choosing to hand off shots at goal, when they had their confidence issues. As much as the hand-off from Hawkins to Johnson was one of the moments of the 2011 grand final, the battler in thought it would have been so much sweeter for Hawk to go back and slot it.

The ball drop is so important and I think it's why the theory of a 'confidence kicker' happens. Confident kickers make the connection when the ball is closer to the ground, whereas kickers who are lacking in confidence make their connection to early, which causes the ball to go higher (and more often, get sprayed).

With regards to ball drop I think where you make contact on the ball can have an impact too. Without looking at video I'm sure Ablett Jnr & Fevola kick the ball more towards the point that others, and can kick it a long way relatively easily (notwithstanding they are obviously powerful guys). That's as opposed to gettinga bit more underneath it.

Gary Jnr seems to have a slightly robotic style to his kicking on both sides, and he seems to hold the ball a bit more upright than others and kick it closer to the point of the ball. Having a go with that style in the park you do feel like there might be something in it, although it feels a little awkward. There's a sweet spot around there somewhere where the ball just pings off the boot.

Then again Warwick Capper used to hold it really upright and couldn't kick very far at all, but from memory he didn't used to have a lot of momentum and leaned back a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With regards to ball drop I think where you make contact on the ball can have an impact too. Without looking at video I'm sure Ablett Jnr & Fevola kick the ball more towards the point that others, and can kick it a long way relatively easily (notwithstanding they are obviously powerful guys). That's as opposed to gettinga bit more underneath it.

Gary Jnr seems to have a slightly robotic style to his kicking on both sides, and he seems to hold the ball a bit more upright than others and kick it closer to the point of the ball. Having a go with that style in the park you do feel like there might be something in it, although it feels a little awkward. There's a sweet spot around there somewhere where the ball just pings off the boot.

Then again Warwick Capper used to hold it really upright and couldn't kick very far at all, but from memory he didn't used to have a lot of momentum and leaned back a bit.

Ablett Jnr is interesting in the way that he doesn't break stride to kick, most players need a half step or a pre step but he kicks in rythym with his running. I'd imagine that it would be very efficient in terms of not losing energy.

Ablett Jnr is interesting in the way that he doesn't break stride to kick, most players need a half step or a pre step but he kicks in rythym with his running. I'd imagine that it would be very efficient in terms of not losing energy.
Yeah his kicking technique on the run is very sound, he just gently guides it down and not a lot can go wrong from both a distance and accuracy point of view. Some guys will really grip the ball, lift it up in the air in a big wind up before bringing it down which is a bit hit or miss.

Now you're talking collision dynamics.
Different ball game from ground forces and Kinetic Links.

Now you're talking collision dynamics.
Different ball game from ground forces and Kinetic Links.
Ha ha yeah well these things usually go off track pretty quickly. Apart from doing testing with AFL clubs did the guy you know have any success with any individuals to gain a bit of kicking distance?

I guy I know in the AFL system for a while was able to get maybe a further 5-10m in his kicking length from when he started as a skinny-ish kid, which I think was primarily around leg & core strength and a little bit of technique. He was a longish kick to begin with too. But I wouldn't have thought you'd see too many guys improving the kicking distance much, but then again it's not like they get to showcase very often either, nor is it something they appear to test at draft camps. Maybe they should do long kicking comps again :) And yeah it's only one piece of the footballing puzzle. I'd like to be able to kick 60m though......

I'll have to ask him. He may have just used them to get the data and not to actually train them.

But it would be an interesting thing to do if you have a talented 13 year old who just lacked kicking distance.
Put him on the program for a year and bingo.

It roughly costs about 1k a year to do it because you have to keep getting retested and having the program modified as you change / develop.

Yeah it's amazing how skinny weak looking people can often kick the furthest. Same principles apply to all other sports. It's why skinny guys with flexible hip joints always dominate Muay Thai and generate far more power than a brawn, muscular guy

Well an undersized Eardley must have done his homework on this. His kicking over 40m transfers all the mechanical energy to the ball. He fires bullets.

May one day feature in kick out duties as well as small forward harassment.

Great thing about sports.

Think Bradman, Mark Waugh, Federer, Beckham, Tiger Woods, even Benny Grahme, these people have mastered particular skills and have fluidity within there actions....BUT at the other end of the spectrum think Jeff Thompson, Nadal, Rooney, and some champions from the unorthodox, who use different actions to their advantage. In football, Gary Ablett, Robert Harvey and Trent Cotchin have very unusual hunched actions....but boy are they effective.

As I said, the great thing about sports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicking techniques

Remove this Banner Ad

Back