AFL Club
North Melbourne
Name: Kieran Harper
Height: 187cm
Weight: 78kg
DOB: 5th June 1992
Position: Utility
Club: Eastern Ranges
TAC Cup Statistics: http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...&pID=188975161&client=1-3020-0-102897-8054968
Video Footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMMrj16d2BA
http://rangesfc.matchvision.com.au/video/?video=437
http://rangesfc.matchvision.com.au/video/?video=475
http://rangesfc.matchvision.com.au/video/?video=503

Achievements:
2010 Vic Metro Team
2010 Draft Camp Invite

Draft Camp Results:
1st in Running Vertical Jump – 88cm
3rd in Repeat Sprints – 23.837
5th in Standing Vertical Jump – 65cm

kieranharper.jpg

Harper played three matches for Vic Metro at the 2008 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships to average 14 disposals and five marks per game. In 2009 he missed the cut for the Vic Metro NAB AFL Under-18 Championship team, but played 9 matches in various positions for Eastern in the TAC Cup. Harper averaged 17 disposals and seven contested possession per match, with his best return for the season coming in the Round 14 win against Murray in which he amassed 21 disposals, seven inside 50’s, two goals and four score assists. AFL Prospectus

Midfielder/half-forward/half-back whose stocks rose as the championships went on. Some had him under watch early, but his performance in slipping free to kick four goals against Western Australia on the final day at Geelong stamped him as a very likely type. Paul Daffey

A quick and skillful player with a great goal sense. Can take contested mark and impact a game. VIC Metro representative in 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships where he kicked seven goals including four against WA. Attends Yarra Valley School. Kevin Sheehan

Can play up forward or through the midfield which allows him to shake free of an opponent. He has tremendous leg speed and he is able to burn opponents through his hard running. He is clever around goals and he has good goal sense, and when he plays up the ground he delivers well inside 50. He has the ability to kick goals when he is not expected to. TAC Cup Website

In his own words

What type of player are you?
I'm a versatile player with good skills, an outside mid-forward that is reliable with the ball.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Robert Murphy - a lead up forward with classy skills and finishes off his work, and good overhead.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Athleticism, my pace and vertical leap. I'm also skilful.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Inside football, my aerobic base and my consistency.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Richmond - due to dad’s influence.

i didnt realise he was that tall, ive only seen him in the final game of the under 18 championships, has anyone seen him push into the midfield for extended periods of the game?

unfortunately i think he will be taken between our first and second picks.

Yep.

Steel Sidebottom-syndrome.

Is one of those years.

Not much seperating the guys taken in the first 6 picks, to types like Harper who looks like he will end up at a top 8 club's first pick.

Excellent prospect.

I see him as a better version of Hayden Ballantyne, with the potential to play that Steve Johnson/Alan Didak, high half forward, goal kicking role.

If the Doggies didn't need to use up their first two picks, he is exactly the type they are after.

Can play the sole crumber, or higher up the ground in bursts.

played on and against this kid several times very hard to play on quick off the mark, huge jump good hands on the lead really good athlete

Who's the better prospect Jed Lamb or Kieran Harper?

Lamb looks better inside 50. Harper appears to have more versatility which would give him the edge. Both looking like late 1st round - early 2nd round. Harper strikes me as a player who could rise up the rankings pretty quickly.

I remember hearing Jason McCartney saying during the champs, Harper had hip surgery and had a limited pre season this year. He expected him to have a good finish to the TAC Cup season and he could climb up the rankings similar to Jake Melksham last year.

I also watched his interview on TAC Cup Future Stars. He said he models his game on Nick Riewoldt and Campbell Brown. He thinks he’s more of an outside player than an inside player atm, but he’s working on improving the inside areas of his game.

I see him playing in the middle long term, perhaps the wing.

In the mean time, a HFF who pushes into the middle.

Lovely upside this kid.

just looked at his TAC stats. in 4 games averaging 13 possessions without a particularly high efficiency rate and not been included in best players. Still stats don't always reveal quality.

Agree with you about upside and he's definitely draftable. He kicked four super goals in the Vic Metro TV game, but might need to be getting more of the ball and using it better to be considered a 1st round outside mid prospect.

I guess he's one of many whose position in the draft will be determined by how he finishes the season off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generally polished with the ball in his hands, looks the goods. Would be happy if we picked him up with our first pick.

He doesnt give enough of a consistent postitive ouput and will need to be well developed by the club that drafts him.......a risky pick IMO!!

On the Eastern Ranges website, there's a file listing the entire b&f voting for the season just past. Harper was naturally unavailable for plenty of games, but doesn't look like his coaches gave him even a single vote. DID play one good game in the championships, where he looked very impressive. Had an encouraging 2009, but reading some of the big footy debate about this prospect, makes me think waaay too many base their opinions on a single you-tube clip.
It'll be interesting to see whether a professional recruiter is prepared to risk his reputation by selecting this player as a high draft pick ahead of dozens of kids who banked several good performances during the season.
I can partly see why people rate him though, 'cos he does have an interesting skill set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Profile Kieran Harper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back