Kurt Tippett to the Swans? **UPDATE: Tippett requests trade to Sydney***

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this means he won't be getting to us i'd suspect?

I'm more inclined to think this is just a bit of manoeuvring by the Tippett camp.
Sure they'd like the certainty of being a delisted FA and moving to Sydney, but given the suggested contract terms I think he'd still get to us in the PSD.
As westcoastswan says above I think the latest move has an element of " an act of goodwill" and perhaps a touch of good cop (Tippett), bad cop (Galbally) about it. :)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/tea...t-move-to-sydney/story-e6frf9ko-1226522510985

two lines i find interesting in this article.

"But there was a growing feeling on the Gold Coast yesterday the Giants might eventually relent"

The AFL Players Association is backing Tippett's bid to become a Swan
"Effectively he is being penalised before the charges have been heard before the commission,'' AFLPA executive Ian Prendergast said.
"That's unacceptable from a natural justice point of view.''

Sounds likely he will get to us in draft and that the AFL could be in a lot of trouble should he not get to us. im not overly familiar with the whole system but can the AFL Players Association actually punish the AFL if they believe they have acted inappropriately??

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/tea...t-move-to-sydney/story-e6frf9ko-1226522510985
Sounds likely he will get to us in draft and that the AFL could be in a lot of trouble should he not get to us. im not overly familiar with the whole system but can the AFL Players Association actually punish the AFL if they believe they have acted inappropriately??
I don't think so, maybe someone could back this up... As far as I am aware the PA acts like a players union supporting players in legal/admin matters with the AFL in a negotiator type role. They may have some impact on what the AFL ends up deciding but no actual power in directing or forcing the AFLs decisions as far as I'm aware.

There are grievance procedures written into the Collective Bargaining Agreement, so if Tippett is unhappy he can go down that path or alternatively could go straight to the courts, particularly as it appears from what Anderson said the other day the new CBA supposedly agreed to in December last year hasn't actually been signed off as yet.

There are grievance procedures written into the Collective Bargaining Agreement, so if Tippett is unhappy he can go down that path or alternatively could go straight to the courts, particularly as it appears from what Anderson said the other day the new CBA supposedly agreed to in December last year hasn't actually been signed off as yet.
ok cool. so its like a union for AFL Players. their only power is in numbers but they dont have the final say.

The more i read about GWS acquiring to get Tippett the more i get puzzled considering they took four KPPs and promoted Sam Frost from the rookie list.

If they do pick him up i guess they see Tippett as a trade commodity to be entitled to compensation for next year's draft like they need anymore draft picks :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFLPA have teeth but they choose when to use them. On players wages they were very vocal and increased the minimum % of the cap a club could pay its group of players.

They also forced the introduction of restricted and unrestricted free agency for some players and will push hard again in the future to increase those options for players.

I wouldn't want them to show their teeth on a situation like this and believe Tippett was far from innocent in this situation.

The AFL last night still knocked back kurts bid to be delisted by adelaide and become a free agent last shot know is to go to the surpreme court before wednesday free agent deadline.Any 1 think they will go that far also john ralph said on SEN that the AFL would not want to go to court because they no they wouldnt win.Should kurt go to court then or will he just wait till PSD and hope and hope he still gets to us

I really hope he doesn't take it to court. Would hate to get a player that way.
I have no problem with it if that's what happens. Mainly because he should have got to us during the draft period and the AFL stopped it. So, if he doesn't end up where he wanted to go then they are the reason. They seemed happy to let Adelaide keep draft picks this year and any punishment will happen next season so why stop the trade going through? They have then stopped Adelaide moving him off their list when they needed to delist a player.

If Tippett isn't found guilty of something very serious then he is well within his rights to go to the AFL and say "WTF, why did you block me moving if I did nothing wrong?". If that results in him going to GWS then legal action is perfectly justified IMO.

I have no problem with it if that's what happens. Mainly because he should have got to us during the draft period and the AFL stopped it. So, if he doesn't end up where he wanted to go then they are the reason. They seemed happy to let Adelaide keep draft picks this year and any punishment will happen next season so why stop the trade going through? They have then stopped Adelaide moving him off their list when they needed to delist a player.

If Tippett isn't found guilty of something very serious then he is well within his rights to go to the AFL and say "WTF, why did you block me moving if I did nothing wrong?". If that results in him going to GWS then legal action is perfectly justified IMO.
AGREE mate i dont understand why they wont do it regardless of what the punishment is swans have said all along they will take take him iff he gets weeks nexted season anyway

Its not worth going to court, expensive, unknown result, limited time and he would further anger the AFL who are yet to decide his punishment will be. If he won or lost the punishment could be increased.

A friend of mine was suspended after a hockey game and fought the charge, he lost then appealed and won on a technicality, out of spite the board charged him with bringing the game into disrepute and suspended for a year.

That was the default charge from a board who are angry they hadn't gotten their way and wanted blood just like the AFL might if they were to be taken to court win of lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back