Kyabram DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

James Milne, aging like a fine wine 🍷.

Leigh Wellington CHF in the team of the year, spose he was very good when he played there for 5 mins earlier in the year.

Looking forward to hearing about the new recruits in future months.

P.S Nate Caddy breakout year incoming

Did he swap with Aidan Lloyd for a few minutes? 🤭

Tough gig picking these sides, especially when we only play most teams once per year. But usually I’d expect the grand finalists to have about 4 players each.

Other finalists maybe 2 players, then the guns from teams outside the six would be considered.

Also are we picking players in spots that they usually played for their home club, or where you’d place them if you were fortunate enough to have them together for an interleague game?

Last edited:

Zac Cerrone to ky
I’m glad he’s giving it another go Normo went in a few years back but his mind wasn’t right for GV footy a good player back then but a gun now Kicking 71 snags this year speaks for itself
Ps still in disbelief on why he didn’t impress the umpires he runs carries the ball great kick bewildering???

I’m glad he’s giving it another go Normo went in a few years back but his mind wasn’t right for GV footy a good player back then but a gun now Kicking 71 snags this year speaks for itself
Ps still in disbelief on why he didn’t impress the umpires he runs carries the ball great kick bewildering???
Man on man work and defence needs improvement for gv

Dust has settled and im bored at work so i'll give my TOTY without being too biased.
this team is only what I have played with and against. so i've only seen some teams once, and previous years are not considered.
along with this, i would kill to play with this bunch in a Interleague set up!

B: J Spencer (SE) J Borg (M-T) J Wild (M-T)
HB: AN Lloyd (M-T) L Devine (M-T) M Nolan (Nag)
C: B Fothergill (Nag) J Dhosi (SE) K Sanders (M-T)
HF N O'Reilly (Stan) Ai Lloyd (M-T) R Old (Nag)
FF: B Avola (Aven) J Lloyd (M-T) Z Cerrone (Lan)
F: T McCluskey (SE) Jy Formosa (Long) C Simpson (Lank)

Int: A Fichera (SE) L Wellington (M-T) R Devine (M-T)

Coach: B Foley (M-T)

Stiff Misses: D Hoysted, K Tapscott, R Pfieffer - Not ahead of A & J LLoyd
A Cashion, M Serra, H Ismet - not ahead of Z Cerrone or B Avola (not enough games from the first 2)
J Myers, Jo Formosa, S Mackrill L Francis N Fothergill - Not ahead of Formosa, Simpson, Cerrone, Dhosi, O'Reilly
J Delaney, J Donnell, N McAuliffe T Laverie - Not ahead of J Borg, J Spencer, L Devine & Co.

Justification:
Spencer - best reader of the ball in the comp, have put time into him
Borg - around 6-10 goals kicked against him all year, plays on smalls and mountains
Wild - plays on smalls and talls and swaps midfield (competitive athletic beast)
Lloyd - GF display speaks for itself. elite by foot and can also kick lonnnggggg goals if not guarded around the 50 ark.
Devine - talk and direction from position is second to none and runs straight lines and takes the ball with him
Nolan - beautiful reader of the play, uses the ball well and even had midfield minutes this year.
Fothergill🏅 - huge tank, runs all day, foot skills aren't elite, but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th efforts are.
Dhosi - absolute bull in the midfield, takes 2 blokes to bring him down and would feed formosa and simpson all day.
Sanders - Runs all day ranked 6th best player in comp mid year. best season at M-T to date and still has more to give.
O'Reilly - heart and soul, very rarely goes to ground and breaks lines and is strong over the ball (on ball rotation)
Lloyd - another who stepped up in the GF, takes the ball at the highest point and is very rarely spoiled.
Old🏅- hard runner, fast, learning to use the ball better but gets plenty of it to justify mis use sometimes. (OB rotation)
Avola - only played small minutes mid against us. in a great team he would not leave the 50. mercurial!
Lloyd - 130 goals says it all. (i think he should harden up and he'll kick 150)
Cerrone - absolute weapon across the forward line, beautiful left foot, uses it well, below the knees 11/10 (OB rotation)
McCluskey - broke even with R Devine (not gf), crash and bash, x factor when snatching the ball out of the ruck
Formosa - GUT RUNNER! his 25m passes and then to get the hands back is elite. loves a tackle or 18 a game.
Simpson - another elite runner, breaks away from a pack quicker than anyone i have played on.
Fichera - great user of the ball, reads the ruck like a picture magazine.
Wellington - i take the P155 out of him but he clocks Kms on the flank and is big bodied middy (not a CHFs @sshole)
Devine - Stiff to be second fiddle to Clucky, but really come into his own the back end of the season. ruck work is elite, anywhere on the clock!

Foley - premiership coach, didn't lose a game and has been close to the best coach i have been led by, demands more from every player, tests mental strength of players and is not just a 3 day a week coach.

Cheers, would love feedback!

For the team of the year, the KDL asked for nominations by clubs. 6 players from other clubs and 4 from the club. We (Merrigum) nominated one from each position from other clubs and added a couple of extras (mids/utility type). I gave my thoughts and then the head coaches had input. Similar with the 4 from our club.

Not sure how other clubs did it but it was largely kept quiet being a new thing.

Beyond this, I gather the league tried to have a spread of clubs - but surely that’s defeating the purpose of the team of the year. I didn’t look closely but I will guess that all clubs were represented?

But in the defence of the league, for those who didn’t like the team… if the same 8-10 players were nominated from clubs (Cerrone, Avola, Formosa, McCluskey, Lloyd(s), etc…) then they had no option other than use the nominations from the clubs of their own 4 players as well.

Perhaps next year they need to provide a pool of 40-50 names and positions. Clubs select their best 21 and submit it. That will create the team digitally. Anyone who has picked their pretend All-Australian side or AFL 22Under22 on the AFL website will understand what I mean.

For the team of the year, the KDL asked for nominations by clubs. 6 players from other clubs and 4 from the club. We (Merrigum) nominated one from each position from other clubs and added a couple of extras (mids/utility type). I gave my thoughts and then the head coaches had input. Similar with the 4 from our club.

Not sure how other clubs did it but it was largely kept quiet being a new thing.

Beyond this, I gather the league tried to have a spread of clubs - but surely that’s defeating the purpose of the team of the year. I didn’t look closely but I will guess that all clubs were represented?
New ?? It was a thing back in the 90’s . .

Dust has settled and im bored at work so i'll give my TOTY without being too biased.
this team is only what I have played with and against. so i've only seen some teams once, and previous years are not considered.

A Cashion, M Serra, H Ismet - not ahead of Z Cerrone or B Avola (not enough games from the first 2)
J Myers, Jo Formosa, S Mackrill L Francis N Fothergill - Not ahead of Formosa, Simpson, Cerrone, Dhosi, O'Reilly
J Delaney, J Donnell, N McAuliffe T Laverie - Not ahead of J Borg, J Spencer, L Devine & Co.

Justification:
Borg - around 6-10 goals kicked against him all year, plays on smalls and mountains
Wild - plays on smalls and talls and swaps midfield (competitive athletic beast)
Lloyd - GF display speaks for itself. elite by foot and can also kick lonnnggggg goals if not guarded around the 50 ark.
Devine - talk and direction from position is second to none and runs straight lines and takes the ball with him
Nolan - beautiful reader of the play, uses the ball well and even had midfield minutes this year.
Fothergill🏅 - huge tank, runs all day, foot skills aren't elite, but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th efforts are.
Dhosi - absolute bull in the midfield, takes 2 blokes to bring him down and would feed formosa and simpson all day.
Sanders - Runs all day ranked 6th best player in comp mid year. best season at M-T to date and still has more to give.
O'Reilly - heart and soul, very rarely goes to ground and breaks lines and is strong over the ball (on ball rotation)
Lloyd - another who stepped up in the GF, takes the ball at the highest point and is very rarely spoiled.
Old🏅- hard runner, fast, learning to use the ball better but gets plenty of it to justify mis use sometimes. (OB rotation)
Avola - only played small minutes mid against us. in a great team he would not leave the 50. mercurial!
Cerrone - absolute weapon across the forward line, beautiful left foot, uses it well, below the knees 11/10 (OB rotation)
McCluskey - broke even with R Devine (not gf), crash and bash, x factor when snatching the ball out of the ruck
Formosa - GUT RUNNER! his 25m passes and then to get the hands back is elite. loves a tackle or 18 a game.
Simpson - another elite runner, breaks away from a pack quicker than anyone i have played on.
Wellington - i take the P155 out of him but he clocks Kms on the flank and is big bodied middy (not a CHFs @sshole)
Devine - Stiff to be second fiddle to Clucky, but really come into his own the back end of the season. ruck work is elite, anywhere on the clock!

Foley - premiership coach, didn't lose a game and has been close to the best coach i have been led by, demands more from every player, tests mental strength of players and is not just a 3 day a week coach.

First of all mate great that you found time in submitting your Kdl all star side with one notable absentee in James Milne I think I’ve already worked out why .But mate can you tell me why you along with the Kdl selectors failed to include Daniel Clarke , he has won tally’s B &F polled well in the medal and was told too old??? Is that also your reason mate .Been around footy for quite a while and in that time have always believed these sides are picked on form ONLY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Justification:

Just missing the other league medallist!

First of all mate great that you found time in submitting your Kdl all star side with one notable absentee in James Milne I think I’ve already worked out why .But mate can you tell me why you along with the Kdl selectors failed to include Daniel Clarke , he has won tally’s B &F polled well in the medal and was told too old??? Is that also your reason mate .Been around footy for quite a while and in that time have always believed these sides are picked on form ONLY
Haha would be happy to watch this team!

Great question, and if you asked me this question a few years ago it would be completely inappropriate and unkind, but I’m a bit more mature these days haha.
Honestly, I think Clarkey is a great player and gets the touches, but I just don’t think there’s a spot on the ground that he would push someone out of. That back 6 is tight! And I think he plays his best footy behind the play.
Happy for you to suggest someone though.
I definitely should have mentioned him in the “stiff misses”

While on the topic of “team of the”.. The Ky Free Press ran an article last week for “The best teams of the last 25 years”. For the 4x local KDL clubs to Kyabram.

Attachments

• A1A47B5C-2D42-441B-9E6A-F588E10408B6.jpeg
    A1A47B5C-2D42-441B-9E6A-F588E10408B6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 84
  • 19B449E0-A7B6-4EAD-9D9D-220681D19AFA.jpeg
    19B449E0-A7B6-4EAD-9D9D-220681D19AFA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Justification:

Wow ! You do have some spare time 🤣

I love the O’Rielly selection ! Very underrated player in our comp and gives his all !

Moore vs R. Devine as back up ruck would be my only real argument .

Wow ! You do have some spare time 🤣

I love the O’Rielly selection ! Very underrated player in our comp and gives his all !

Moore vs R. Devine as back up ruck would be my only real argument .
government cough worker! 🤣

he is so underrated its not funny! and been very consistent for a few years now.

valid, i'd just love (but also hate) to see Jono care about footy and run around at 80+% instead of 30% and glimpses of 60% every now and then. that'll come with age though. but yes i do have a photo that will assist with your argument 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 53
Smooth, with your career coming to an end now what’s the official count of jumpers in the wardrobe? Would love to see you all time side with players you’ve played with 👍
Yes he’s donged a few jumpers alright and played top footy in all of them. Just off the cuff I would be close in naming Tatura/ Blighty/ Wunghu / SE / Lancy/ The gum / Waaia / Avenal / Tally/ and not forgetting his stints with the masters
Ps And not convinced he’s done 🤣

Smooth, with your career coming to an end now what’s the official count of jumpers in the wardrobe? Would love to see you all time side with players you’ve played with 👍
Great question FCC! Probably something I've never thought of to be honest, give me a couple days to come up with a side & I'll get back to you on that 1..... 👍🏾

As for clubs yeah it's 9 in 25yrs of "senior" footy. 1999 till now (excluding 2020 🤬)! So basically average of 2 1/2 yrs per club? 🫣🤣 But let me give everyone a little insight as to why? No one has to agree or disagree but it's a fact.....

Growing up none of my family were involved in footy clubs, my brother's played school footy but never went any further really & being that I was the youngest I basically grew up teaching myself every sport I knew? Footy, soccer, cricket, basketball, I would every night after school grab some equipment & go outside & start practising! I never had a football club that I grew up around or hung around with friends etc, I lived in town so the country club community was never on my radar? I played school footy all the way through till Yr 10 (U16's) then I was basically slapped in the face with the realism of what's next? I had no idea about football after school? So I played U18's at Shepp United but very quickly found out that unless you grew up around that community you were always an outsider? So that right there was the beginning for me to realise I would just play footy with mates? I never had an attachment to a footy club growing up like 1000's of country footballers have but believe me I wish I did because there's no better feeling than to walking into a club & seeing how people treat each other & respect the long standing club people!

So to cut a long story short & not to bore people, but unfortunately for me & my pathway to senior footy was alot different to many others. I had to raise myself into the player & person I am today? Would I have liked for it to be different? Yes! Would I change a thing? NO!! It's taught me to be the resilient person I am today & not care what anyone says or thinks about me? Have I played at a few clubs? Yeah? Have I ever played just for money?? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Have I always just played with mates? Every time!!

So that's my little insight as to why I've been abit of a journey man! Yes I haven't played at the least amount of clubs over the 25yrs, but I certainly haven't played for the most either! But I've enjoyed every second! Is it over? Possibly? Do I already miss it? Absolutely.....

Anyway enough of that, give me a couple of days to get you my best ever teammates side! Otherwise hope everyone enjoys the long weekend & my tip is Lions by 10pts! Clug for the Medal & Daniher to kick 4! 👍🏾

Last edited:
Great question FCC! Probably something I've never thought of to be honest, give me a couple days to come up with a side & I'll get back to you on that 1..... 👍🏾

As for clubs yeah it's 9 in 25yrs of "senior" footy. 1999 till now (excluding 2020 🤬)! So basically average of 2 1/2 yrs per club? 🫣🤣 But let me give everyone a little insight as to why? No one has to agree or disagree but it's a fact.....

Growing up none of my family were involved in footy clubs, my brother's played school footy but never went any further really & being that I was the youngest I basically grew up teaching myself every sport I knew? Footy, soccer, cricket, basketball, I would every night after school grab some equipment & go outside & start practising! I never had a football club that I grew up around or hung around with friends etc, I lived in town so the country club community was never on my radar? I played school footy all the way through till Yr 10 (U16's) then I was basically slapped in the face with the realism of what's next? I had no idea about football after school? So I played U18's at Shepp United but very quickly found out that unless you grew up around that community you were always an outsider? So that right there was the beginning for me to realise I would just play footy with mates? I never had an attachment to a footy club growing up like 1000's of country footballers have but believe me I wish I did because there's no better feeling than to walking into a club & seeing how people treat each other & respect the long standing club people!

So to cut a long story short & not to bore people, but unfortunately for me & my pathway to senior footy was alot different to many others. I had to raise myself into the player & person I am today? Would I have liked for it to be different? Yes! Would I change a thing? NO!! It's taught me to be the resilient person I am today & not care what anyone says or thinks about me? Have I played at a few clubs? Yeah? Have I ever played just for money?? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Have I always just played with mates? Every time!!

So that's my little insight as to why I've been abit of a journey man! Yes I haven't played at the least amount of clubs over the 25yrs, but I certainly haven't played for the most either! But I've enjoyed every second! Is it over? Possibly? Do I already miss it? Absolutely.....

Anyway enough of that, give me a couple of days to get you my best ever teammates side! Otherwise hope everyone enjoys the long weekend & my tip is Lions by 10pts! Clug for the Medal & Daniher to kick 4! 👍🏾

Great post mate.

I know that I have been one to judge players like yourself for changing clubs so regularly… and yes, I judged you on this also.

As we get older we realise that we all love the same game, and as much as we ‘hate’ the opposition, we do get to make life long connections.

Your story resonates with my belief that more kids (maybe all) should be starting at a ‘district’ club. Then they can progress onwards and upwards from there. When a player then finishes up at major league level, they know that they can come back to their district club and local community. I feel we have lost many good players that were lost as you nearly were in that 3rds age group.

Well done on navigating through and giving to each club that you played for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kyabram DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back