Lachie Button

Remove this Banner Ad

shooter#9

Debutant
Jun 24, 2005
Other Teams
port power
Heard a lot of hype about this fella, have also played on him.... I know he absolutely dominates college footy in ruck....and it does help when your about 10cm and 10 kg bigger than everyone else on the field, however im not so sure that he has the skill, speed and that edge u need to play AFL especially when the guys he would be playing on are his size. What are peoples opinions on this? SHC boys just dont talk unless u have something constructive to say for once

I rate him highly, he may be taller and bigger but i dont think until this year he really knew how to use it but he has learnt. As you said he dominated college footy because of his size and he didnt perform to badly for glenelg in the under 17s either when he played there. i see a lot of upside in his game, he is still growing, he is already massive and could step into a side already, his tap work is excellent and i dont think you should question his skills, at one stage int he knock out final on the run he hit someone 40m away on his left it was a brilliant kick. Also he has strong hands and takes quite a few marks, i think he will get drafted for sure next year.

agree.. couldve played last year with aaron day as a yr 10... dominated yr 10 comp... he has played on guys his size and done well... ward from rc beat him in the taps but around the ground button is too good... also played on probable draftee angus graham from assumption and play very well.. gave onballers first use.. a year in the gym to tone up and a few ressies games and i believe he could get drafted... however he will take a few years to develop

Flying Joey said:
agree.. couldve played last year with aaron day as a yr 10... dominated yr 10 comp... he has played on guys his size and done well... ward from rc beat him in the taps but around the ground button is too good... also played on probable draftee angus graham from assumption and play very well.. gave onballers first use.. a year in the gym to tone up and a few ressies games and i believe he could get drafted... however he will take a few years to develop

i hav playd a bit of footy with lachie and i disagree. he has a big frame and generally uses the footy well but i doubt he possesses the agility and stamina that is increasingly required with players his size in the afl these days, examples are Dean Brogan, Adam Goodes and Biglands. Not sure how Button would match up against ruckmen of this calibre.

no_ducktown4jnsn said:
i hav playd a bit of footy with lachie and i disagree. he has a big frame and generally uses the footy well but i doubt he possesses the agility and stamina that is increasingly required with players his size in the afl these days, examples are Dean Brogan, Adam Goodes and Biglands. Not sure how Button would match up against ruckmen of this calibre.

Hmmm, considering he has probably not played as much footy, or had the coaching that those named have, i wouldnt be surprised if he didnt match up well against them. But he has potential, he gets around the ground well and like you said, he uses the ball well, give him the training of an AFL club an he could be as good as those players.

Cheers

A lack of agility is something that ruckmen can get away with, for example the clarkes and sandilands of the AFL, and i would not be too worried about stamina at his age, as an intensive pre-season and a little bit of hard work can get any joe blow into shape. On that note, i believe he has great things in front of him. Big men that are able to find players around the ground are highly sought after these days and button would surely fit into that category. Also, word is, he is still growing which is always appealing to interested AFL clubs.

The kid is a gem. I can see a bright future for the young fella. Destined for greatness. Massive unit that will only get bigger. Look out Sandilands!!!!! :)

Zac Millar is the biggest talent in the school comp next year. Followed pretty closely by Holmes... Talk up these guns because they have enormous natural talent, they just might not have the enourmous hulk'like bodies like button but they are much more of an excitement for the future.

do u think holmes is good enough to get drafted at start of yr 12, which is likely to happen to Xavier Ellis nxt yr, a gun yr 11 at Melbourne Grammar and is what happened to players such as McGough and Goddard. Is already PACs best player in yr 10, can only get better, injuries aside.

Holmes is on the track to get drafted end of year 12. I cant see many clubs passing up the opportunity to take him with one of their later picks. He would go very early in 07 draft if he was to wait. Played his first ressies game on the weekend for Glenelg, hes got fair talent

button is a hack, angus graham destroyed that bloke the other week, gave him a football lesson. the kid will not go very far he is a dopey prick

vantheman32 said:
button is a hack, angus graham destroyed that bloke the other week, gave him a football lesson. the kid will not go very far he is a dopey prick

a hack?? hmmm ur credibility is again questionable

vantheman32 said:

Surely your not serious. The ACK ****************s didnt make angus go to any of the pre match festivities so he could rest up and be fresh for the big game. Button participated in all festivities and easily broke even with him in the ruck, if not beat him. Plus he's a year younger than him..... :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i agree straylan, millar will dominate next year and should feature somewhere in the 2006 draft. holmes is also a very good player and should grow more, which will see him go as size is the only queiry at this stage, although he has exceptional pace.
also i think white from saints will be prominent next year as he showed he has what it takes as a yr 11 this year. great pace and good skills to go with that.

colin custard said:
what festivities did you have??? why would it make a difference to how someone would play???

from wat i heard (i wasnt there) but the mass on sat nite and all that ddnt finish till 11... most hitting sack at 12 for a 9am start... young gus would have had a nice sleep

colin custard said:
what festivities did you have??? why would it make a difference to how someone would play???
It was just a social on the friday night, then on saturday pretty much everyone went into melbourne and walked around and then listened to th enthralling music and debating sat night. Its not much but I just thought it was extremely soft and weak for him not to join in.

angus played footy saturday for calder cannons in wangaratta at 2pm in the arvo n didnt get back to skool till 9pm at night. as for button he is a very good player i just wanted 2 get a reaction outta some of u fellas, knew it woodnt take long

Despiten Buttons many atrributes i believe Aaron Day is a far greater player and if they both are drafted Day will prove his superriority to Button

power_house said:
Button = No GOOD ... no athleticism or skills will struggle when he comes against some good ruckmen and bigger players in general .

Very big call that. You obviously didnt see SHC play ACK, Button played on Graham who is a very good player (presently at draft camp and in year 12) and Button did pretty well against him. NO skills?? He has probably got the best skills for a big man I have ever seen. I'll give you the athleticism, but thats something he can work on over the off season.

I just remember watching a State trial last season when Button stood Hutchinson from port and hutchinson jumped all over him and burned him every time he got the ball button couldnt stay with him was far too athletic and he was hitting fowards lace out on both feet. Button had the strength early on in the throw ins then hutchinson just started jumping over the back and winning everythin so i cant say ive seen a whole lot of him i just thought to myself.. that day he will struggle obviously hes improved abit .did watch the grand final at the parade SHC and Saint micks took some good grabs it looked like he was the only bloke over 6 ft out there

so u see him play in two games and brand him 'no good"!!! i dnt get it?? won b&f for shc as year 11. the last two to do that were sam elliott and matthew pavlich. as for skill, prob the best skilled ruckman over 6'3" in sa college footy. with more muscle and less puppy fat he will be an absolute gun, if he keeps his size 18 feet on the ground. another one to watch out for, and his transition from having excess baggage to out and out brickhouse is aaron day. if he doesnt dominate next year ill run naked down rundle mall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie Button

Remove this Banner Ad

Back