Lenny Hayes

Remove this Banner Ad

Lenny's been tops - great tackling, strong run. It's interesting that two of our best midfielders in the last few games have been the ones returning from bone-injuries: Hayes and Joey. Dal and the Pharaoh (Luke Ball) need to do some soul searching over the break, because when two underdone midfielders - one with his jaw wired on - out do those two, something is definitely up.

Lenny's been tops - great tackling, strong run. It's interesting that two of our best midfielders in the last few games have been the ones returning from bone-injuries: Hayes and Joey. Dal and the Pharaoh (Luke Ball) need to do some soul searching over the break, because when two underdone midfielders - one with his jaw wired on - out do those two, something is definitely up.

Do you really think Dal needs to do some soul-searching?
Its been widely-acknowledged that Dal has probably been our best and most consistent player this season. He got 29 disposals last week and was very good. Yes, he did get towelled up by Ling but aside from that hes been pretty damn good. He's averaged 21.5 disposals this year (only bettered by Joey who's avg. is 23.8). Also, he is one of the few players for us who can hit a target by foot at the minute.

Anyways. I reckon lenny is one or two games off really getting back to his peak fitness and form. Last week he was brilliant. Look for him to have a big second half of the year.

Do you really think Dal needs to do some soul-searching?
Its been widely-acknowledged that Dal has probably been our best and most consistent player this season. He got 29 disposals last week and was very good. Yes, he did get towelled up by Ling but aside from that hes been pretty damn good. He's averaged 21.5 disposals this year (only bettered by Joey who's avg. is 23.8). Also, he is one of the few players for us who can hit a target by foot at the minute.

Anyways. I reckon lenny is one or two games off really getting back to his peak fitness and form. Last week he was brilliant. Look for him to have a big second half of the year.
The thing about last week was that everyone of our good mifdielders had an awesome game (from memory). I'm pretty sure lenny, ball, dal, montagna all had about 20+ touches, normally I would have said if we have those 4 firing we would win by a big margin.

Just to clear up what I meant about Dal. Dal's a great player, but he's been playing GOOD football. Every GF team needs to have at least one (preferably two or three) REALLY good, freakish, midfielders: Cousins, Judd, Kerr are a good example, particularly of course Judd. Again, Voss, Aker, Black for Lions in bygone days. Dal and Luke Ball are expected to be our freaks. They should be averaging 25+ possessions a game. I'm not suggesting they carry the team, or anything silly like that. I'm just saying more is expected of Dal - I'm sorry if that's harsh, but it's just the reality.

But having said that, I'm not suggesting he gets dumped, or gets down on himself, or should sign somewhere else (HEAVEN FORBID!). I'm just saying mid-year breaks are a good time to re-assess and to re-commit. That's what I mean by soul searching. I'm just saying it would be good if he had a great holiday away in a quiet spot, sat down for a while, said, "I've been playing okay, but I know that I have the capacity to play so much better, and I'll make a commitment to myself, the team, the coach, and the club to make sure I do."

I agree he has been great. to play the devils advocate for a moment the only thing is he has lost a bit of leg speed and noticed he cant turn on a 50c coin any more (to be expected i know) although minor issues that i think he will overcome with another pre season.

just thought i would throw in my 2 bobs worth.

all in all the true leader out on the field as far as im concerned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lenny Hayes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back