sproulie

Debutant
Sep 7, 2004
Newcastle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mighty Pies
I've only seen him play once, during the TAC Championships. He looked pretty good, but I don't know if he is what we are looking for? Has anyone else seen much of him and if so, what are your thoughts?

He seems flashy, a bit like Egan, so do we need another flashy type who goes missing for large chunks of the game?:confused:

No, if we pick him i would be devastated this guy is really going to be a dud from what ive heard he is also a very very selfish player, will not be a midfielder from a personal view, would link him to a under-developed Leon Davis IMO i would prefer Leon over him.

He would be one of the riskier types. Some thought Ash Sampi could play midfield but has now ended up being a small forward. Small forwards are inconsitent little buggers and don't really offer much to clubs unless they are super good. He will be a game breaker and when on song will be absolutely on fire but whether he will adapt to AFL midfield level I don't know. He will most likely IMO have stints in the midfield and play as a small forward. He's a risk. Some one will pull the trigger 1st round though.

Not calling him a dud or a non-midfielder but we have Egan and Thomas as midfielders come hff'ers already.

Small forwards are inconsistant because it is an inconsistant position. The best ones are good enough to be midfielders anyway and often float up around the ground gathering possies anyway like Brad Johnson, Didak, Farmer, Ablett (probably more a midfielder), Chapman (see ablett), O'Keefe.

I saw leroy jetta play in the wafl prelliminary final .Did some ok things but went missing for most of the game.We don't need this sort of player he is too small.Has got speed but he is not what we are looking for.The standout to me during that game was Albert proud.He was everywhere back forward breaking the lines.Very good hard in and under middie,he and selwood should be the ones we should target.Jetta has got pace shows flashs of brilliance,doesn't pass just try's to kick the impossible goal and in that game came unstuck then went missing.We don't need this type of player.If we can't get selwood he Proud would be my first choice at pick 8.There is a strong rumour at pie land that if one of the KPP players during the draft slips to 8 we will pick him up .THe players in question are James Sellar or Luenberger or hanson.I think all 3 will go top 5-6.So if miss on these guys we must go for two hard in and under middies.my chioces are selwood proud hislop armitage collard brown.We have to pick up 2 of these guys.It's a must.We can go for a ruckman kpp with pick 28.Someone like Tippet or Renouf or Kennendy.

daics cousin said:
I saw leroy jetta play in the wafl prelliminary final .Did some ok things but went missing for most of the game.We don't need this sort of player he is too small.Has got speed but he is not what we are looking for.The standout to me during that game was Albert proud.He was everywhere back forward breaking the lines.Very good hard in and under middie,he and selwood should be the ones we should target.Jetta has got pace shows flashs of brilliance,doesn't pass just try's to kick the impossible goal and in that game came unstuck then went missing.We don't need this type of player.If we can't get selwood he Proud would be my first choice at pick 8.There is a strong rumour at pie land that if one of the KPP players during the draft slips to 8 we will pick him up .THe players in question are James Sellar or Luenberger or hanson.I think all 3 will go top 5-6.So if miss on these guys we must go for two hard in and under middies.my chioces are selwood proud hislop armitage collard brown.We have to pick up 2 of these guys.It's a must.We can go for a ruckman kpp with pick 28.Someone like Tippet or Renouf or Kennendy.

I thought Proud was a Queenslander? Sure you're not thinking of someone else?

Pedro said:
I thought Proud was a Queenslander? Sure you're not thinking of someone else?
Proud's work ethic is so profound, that he plays in all state leagues.

That's why I say we draft him.

I have little interest in Jetta, but then there are others who are in a better position to make the call. I saw him once hungover on the couch.

Some say Jetta is the next Akermanis, some say he's the next Eddy Betts. I'm partial to him just because his name is Leroy, but hopefully our recruiters are more rational than me. I haven't seen a single one of these guys play, but going from what's said on the D&T board, there looks to be almost a consensus on the top 7, being (in no order) Gibbs & Selwood, Hansen & Gumbleton, Thorp & Sellar, and Leuenberger. I reckon if any one of these is available at 8, then we'd have to swoop. And hopefully St.Kilda don't take Proud, who I like the sound of, and we'd get him at 10. But who knows.

FIGJAM said:
Proud's work ethic is so profound, that he plays in all state leagues.

That's why I say we draft him.

I have little interest in Jetta, but then there are others who are in a better position to make the call. I saw him once hungover on the couch.

Completly agree (except the couch bit). From what I've read about Jetta, he doesn't really interest me. I'd rather Proud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's very good - However, he's not what we need, and I am very much in the school of picking for need unless the talent difference is substantial.

In my opinion, if you pick a player of a type that you already have many of, they are less likely to get opportunities, and hence less likely to fulfill their potential anyway, so in a way by not picking for need, you are putting an obstacle up in front of a young player anyway.

If we were going tall with one of the picks, then I'd pick Proud, Selwood and Armitage before Jetta. If we got Proud or Selwood at #8 though, I'd definitely consider him strongly at #10.

Not sure about Jetta. If we're going for a quick it would have to be Collard. Have hear alot of good things about him.

Prefrence of mids
1. Gibbs (will go to Carlton)*
2. Selwood (Brisbane)*
3. Proud (Geelong)*
4. Collard
5. Armitage
6. Houli
7. Jetta
8. O'Brien
9. Hislop

Geez, I reckon we would be stiff if that happened...

I reckon with 8 there will be one of Selwood/Proud available, in which case we should swoop on whichever is left, and with 10, (assuming both of these are gone) we should still be able to pick from Collard, Armitage, Jetta, and Hislop (in order of my preference) and pick one of these.

Sellar is the only one who could disrupt this, as I don't want Reiwoldt, and doubt any of the other players (ie Luenberger, Thorp) will slip to 8. Would consider Sellar ahead of Proud, but not ahead of Selwood.

Ideal would be to get Selwood with 8, Proud with 10, and a tall forward, back or ruckman (eg Tippett, Reid, M Brown, etc) with pick 28.

King Woodie you sound like a very optimistic person.

I too would love one of Proud or Selwood but this seems unlikely. Just by looking at popular opinion amongst Geelong and Brisbane supporters and the recent fantasy drafts suggests they will be gone. I know the fans don't pick the players but still.

In my own simulation of the 1st round I have Sellar as the big slider, going at pick 11. This is based on 2 things, firstly his form at the national championships and secondly on the body type and style that he plays. He has the build of a ruckman but is of the height where he should be a KPP. I reckon he will only make it as wing/HFF and will be another Josh Fraser where his preferred place on the field is floating forward.

I'd prefer Collingwood to steer clear of him but no doubt we will be tempted. It can't be all bad, after all he was touted as a top 5 selection 6 months ago.

King Woodie said:
Geez, I reckon we would be stiff if that happened...

I reckon with 8 there will be one of Selwood/Proud available, in which case we should swoop on whichever is left, and with 10, (assuming both of these are gone) we should still be able to pick from Collard, Armitage, Jetta, and Hislop (in order of my preference) and pick one of these.

Sellar is the only one who could disrupt this, as I don't want Reiwoldt, and doubt any of the other players (ie Luenberger, Thorp) will slip to 8. Would consider Sellar ahead of Proud, but not ahead of Selwood.

Ideal would be to get Selwood with 8, Proud with 10, and a tall forward, back or ruckman (eg Tippett, Reid, M Brown, etc) with pick 28.

As much as i would love to get Selwood, i cant see him slipping past 7.
I also have this really odd feeling that we will target junior players who have already played a bit of footy together ( we did last year with daisy and pendles). So ill throw it out there, that we'll go with proud and armitage, and try to get tippet at 28.

I have Jetta going at 7 to the Cats, and you picking up Proud at 8, and Selwood at 10.

However, it is very possible that the Cats will go for Proud instead of Jetta, leaving Jetta to you.

Either way, IMO you will get 2 midfielders-1 flashy and fast, with freakish skills, and 1 a bit slower, but a great leader, good skills and tough, a very well rounded player.

You have done very well getting pick 8 while keeping 10. Your midfield is your biggest worry IMO, and you need pace. Jetta/Proud will help immensely there, and I think Proud would help you more-he is tough as well. Selwood at 10 would be a steal, but with the talent on offer, is a possibility. Whilst he wouldn't help with pace, he would replace the likes of Burns and Licuria-not fast, but good players and always giving their best. Selwood will be a leader, and a very good midfielder.

You guys should have a blinder of a draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leroy Jetta: Is he as good as some say?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back