Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Well there's a lesson in how to handle a member interaction as badly as possible.

I bet there would have been a player who would happily have spent some time with her, even if it is Mr Reliable Travis Boak. Or get Connor Rozee down there seeing as he wasn't playing.

They should invite the 12yo girl to the club to meet all the players, and the dope in charge of the staff members should apologise to her for ruining her evening.

This would never happen under Benny D.
So true. As if most of the players wouldn't have a quick chat and photo with her. Just some lazy **** trying to cover their arse.

Well there's a lesson in how to handle a member interaction as badly as possible.

I bet there would have been a player who would happily have spent some time with her, even if it is Mr Reliable Travis Boak. Or get Connor Rozee down there seeing as he wasn't playing.

They should invite the 12yo girl to the club to meet all the players, and the dope in charge of the staff members should apologise to her for ruining her evening.

Thats exactly what I said to him.
Fair enough the 23 that put their bodies on the line may not be up to it, but considering how rare a home loss has been of late, surely asking a player at the ground, who's played more than a couple of dozen games, to have a quick chat with a kid standing on the oval having just sat through the loss too is not too much to ask or expect of blokes getting paid 100's of thousands of $$'s whilst on the sidelines.
As I said to my Wife, can you imagine how special she'd have felt if Connor Rozee had walked up to her and said hi.
Or JHF, who she absolutely adores.

I've seen the time Aliir and Jeremy Finlayson give to the fans pre game, I struggle to believe they'd have declined had they been asked.

Thats exactly what I said to him.
Fair enough the 23 that put their bodies on the line may not be up to it, but considering how rare a home loss has been of late, surely asking a player at the ground, who's played more than a couple of dozen games, to have a quick chat with a kid standing on the oval having just sat through the loss too is not too much to ask or expect of blokes getting paid 100's of thousands of $$'s whilst on the sidelines.
As I said to my Wife, can you imagine how special she'd have felt if Connor Rozee had walked up to her and said hi.
Or JHF, who she absolutely adores.

I've seen the time Aliir and Jeremy Finlayson give to the fans pre game, I struggle to believe they'd have declined had they been asked.

And most players will always find time for kids, they're not so old that they don't remember how special it is to get some attention from a player.

Yeah, how easy would it have been to simply apologise and invite her down to the club during the week to get a few photos and a signed footy or whatever.

A decent CEO would call this individual into his office and put him on notice for this sort of arrogance and contemptuous behaviour. Our CEO would no doubt endorse it fully.

TL;DR: 12 year old girl with anxiety gets invited to meet with player after game. Gets shunned. Parents contact club. Club DGAF and attack parent for PrObLeMaTiC bEhAvIoUr.

View attachment 2008533
View attachment 2008536
It's bad enough that they fecked up the arranged invitation but to then go into a defence/attack reply rather than an unqualified apology is disgraceful.
The contempt from our club's administrators towards its supporters/members over the last half dozen or so years is alarming. That sh*t starts at the very top of the club and now filters through the hired help.

If they felt so bad after losing then you'd think they'd you know......stop ****ing losing.
Or, atleast relate to how a kid standing on the oval watching her team walk past would be feeling having sat through the loss too and got around her.
As I said in the gameday thread, isnt that the time you'd want to do something to put a smile on the face of a junior member in that situation.

I dont blame the players though in reflection, I blame the clubs process that apparently they've been happy to roll with without consideration, simply because its never been questioned before.

Its bad enough that they dont have a legitimate plan b for these occasions, but to have an apparent 'bad luck' clause that they supposedly roll out moments before the final siren is pretty average.
And I say supposedly because according to my Wife and Daughter they certainly didnt say it to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TL;DR: 12 year old girl with anxiety gets invited to meet with player after game. Gets shunned. Parents contact club. Club DGAF and attack parent for PrObLeMaTiC bEhAvIoUr.

View attachment 2008533
View attachment 2008536
If true (and that's the key point), good on this bloke for exposing such atrocious and obnoxious behaviour by our club officials.
Hope this goes viral, and we get Koch, Richo, etc to try and alibi themselves out of it.

Symptomatic of what our club has become - ON and OFF the field.

As someone posted in this thread, this would never have happened on Benny D's watch.
I can vouch for his professionalism, courtesy and care for members first hand.

Oh, but of course we turfed that no hoper Ben out of Alberton a while ago.

But how's the stabilty, guys!

Aspiring to greatness? Pffftt.

If true (and that's the key point), good on this bloke for exposing such atrocious and obnoxious behaviour by our club officials.
Hope this goes viral, and we get Koch, Richo, etc to try and alibi themselves out of it.

Symptomatic of what our club has become - ON and OFF the field.

As someone posted in this thread, this would never have happened on Benny D's watch.
I can vouch for his professionalism, courtesy and care for members first hand.

Oh, but of course we turfed that no hoper Ben out of Alberton a while ago.

But how's the stabilty, guys!

Aspiring to greatness? Pffftt.
I can assure you its true.

My Wife received a call from a number she didnt recognise and let it go to voice mail.
She listened to it and it was the club offering our Daughter a post match experience.
My Wife called them back and it was explained that our Daughter would be going out onto the ground and receiving a ball from a player that they would sign for her.
She said we'd receive a parental consent form that outlined responsibilities of them and her.
At no stage did they say it was subject to the result, either verbally or in the form.

On the night my Wife had to take our Daughter to the roof climb meeting point by the Southern gate to meet the club rep 10 mins prior to final diren..
The club rep approached them and said you must be ******. They said yes.
The club rep said are you enjoying the game.
They said yes.
The club rep said its not the result we were expecting.
My Wife asked if she could get a photo with the player and the club rep said that would depend on the player as some dont like photos after losses.
They then said my Wife couldnt go with them and walked away.

My Wife stood behind the Southern goals and said people must have thought she was strange as she was standing there with a huge smile on her face in anticipation of seeing who she'd get to sign her ball whilst 'we are the navy blurs' rang around the ground.
I was still in the spot I'd watched the game from in the Western stand.

Someone handed my Daughter a pre signed ball in the away race and then they walked out and stood with 2 ladies about 10-15m over the boundary line whilst another lady and man stood a few meters away.
My Daughter has since said the first time she thought she wouldnt be having her ball signed on the ground was at this point.

I filmed it for 2.5 minutes, at about the 2 minute mark tha players walk past 10-15m away as all 3 looked towards them, you actually see one of the ladies take a step forward which I thought was her about to call one over.

The players walked off and the 2 ladies walked my Daughter over to the boundary line where they asked for her own phone to take her pic.
They brought her back to the place they took her from where my Wife and I were waiting.

They walked up, pointed at the ball and said shes had her ball signed by Quinton Narkle, Dylan Williams and SPP.
I said did they sign it down stairs just now.
The rep said no.
I said so she just went out, stood there and got a pre signed ball.
Yes.
Thats when I said it was a *ing discrace, to take her out there just to stand there.
The rep said you have my email to contact me on.

I did the next morning.

So the correct response from the Club would have been to apologise, invite her to training to get a ball/guernsey signed by the team, and tickets to the rooms for the next home game. Simple to organise at absolutely no cost, and would have created a family of members for life.

Instead her family is threatened with reporting to the AFL, and she'll likely have anxiety issues about ever going to the football again.

This is MY club and YOUR club, regardless of what our feeble constitution says. Our young members are absolutely key to our future, because without them there isn't one.

(I might add that I've had a young family member involved in pre-game activities in years past, organised by Ben, and they've been awesome).

David, sort this out now.

So the correct response from the Club would have been to apologise, invite her to training to get a ball/guernsey signed by the team, and tickets to the rooms for the next home game. Simple to organise at absolutely no cost, and would have created a family of members for life.

Instead her family is threatened with reporting to the AFL, and she'll likely have anxiety issues about ever going to the football again.

This is MY club and YOUR club, regardless of what our feeble constitution says. Our young members are absolutely key to our future, because without them there isn't one.

(I might add that I've had a young family member involved in pre-game activities in years past, organised by Ben, and they've been awesome).

David, sort this out now.
Agreed.

Now, their argument is that apparently my Wife and Daughter were told by the rep when they met her that should we lose there would be no player interaction.
My Wife and Daughter have both denied that this was explained.
At that stage of the final qtr we would have been 4 or 5 goals down judging by the AFL's official timeline available on their website.
So in reality the result was pretty much sealed, commentary around no player interaction should have been obvious and if its true that they dont let staff approach players after a loss then my Wifes final question of having a photo either wouldnt have been asked or should have been a 'no' on those grounds.
That the rep said a photo would depend on the player suggests they hadnt made it clear at all and if anything was misrepresentitive.

Personally, I think they overlooked saying it as if they do this post game experience at every home game and our home losses are few and far between lately then it isnt often relayed.
A simple mistake but a mistake none the less.
Regardless of that, choosing to make that important point less than 10 minutes prior to the final siren after the child has been excited for days that she was meeting a player is a pretty average way of handling and the bloke I spoke to from the club said I had a valid point that it should have been in the letter sent so she had plenty of forewarning prior.

Agreed.

Now, their argument is that apparently my Wife and Daughter were told by the rep when they met her that should we lose there would be no player interaction.
My Wife and Daughter have both denied that this was explained.
At that stage of the final qtr we would have been 4 or 5 goals down judging by the AFL's official timeline available on their website.
So in reality the result was pretty much sealed, commentary around no player interaction should have been obvious and if its true that they dont let staff approach players after a loss then my Wifes final question of having a photo either wouldnt have been asked or should have been a 'no' on those grounds.
That the rep said a photo would depend on the player suggests they hadnt made it clear at all and if anything was misrepresentitive.

Personally, I think they overlooked saying it as if they do this post game experience at every home game and our home losses are few and far between lately then it isnt often relayed.
A simple mistake but a mistake none the less.
Regardless of that, choosing to make that important point less than 10 minutes prior to the final siren after the child has been excited for days that she was meeting a player is a pretty average way of handling and the bloke I spoke to from the club said I had a valid point that it should have been in the letter sent so she had plenty of forewarning prior.
At this point your follow up phone call reflects more negatively on the club than the interaction itself.

The interaction was an unfortunate mistake. Easily fixable by a proper football club, which would have simply invited your daughter to the club during the week to spend a few minutes meeting the players, getting a signed footy etc. Instead they dug in and victim blamed. That wasn't a mistake, it was a conscious decision. And it's how dodgy businesses conduct themselves, not proper football clubs.

At this point your follow up phone call reflects more negatively on the club than the interaction itself.

The interaction was an unfortunate mistake. Easily fixable by a proper football club, which would have simply invited your daughter to the club during the week to spend a few minutes meeting the players, getting a signed footy etc. Instead they dug in and victim blamed. That wasn't a mistake, it was a conscious decision. And it's how dodgy businesses conduct themselves, not proper football clubs.
Thankyou, thats how I thought it might have been handled too, but to go straight after me for my reaction, which I own 100%, dismiss my Daughters feelings, not even ask if she was ok and have the nerve to suggest I wasn't showing any remorse, well, he made it quite clear that the AFL's policy breach was the only thing that he cared to consider.

If the players are too upset to talk to anyone after a loss (yeah, I'm sure most of them are heartbroken) they should have let her meet Ken. He's just dandy after another capitulation.
These the same players and playing culture where Jack Watts was hitting up his dealer and booty call in the immediate aftermath of a showdown embarrassment, planning a good time party night?

Yeah, utterly devastated.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back