Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

So we rang to cancel all 3 memberships an hour ago, the person my Wife spoke to asked why.
She initially declined to give a reason and then thought stuff it and said our daughter was offered a post game experience Thursday night which turned out to be a bad one and we've decided being Port members isnt for us.
He asked if he could put her on hold and returned a few moments later to say thats been done and a FULL refund of all monies paid will be deposited to your nominated account.
The money went back in minutes later.

Now I don't know about you, but to me that says a thousand words, they just want it to go away.

And for the record, Stephen Shirley still hasn't returned her call from Friday afternoon to dispute his staff's version of events.
There's genuinely no reason to support this club anymore other than pining for a club that once existed under the same name but exists no longer. We are Port Adelaide in name only, on and off the field. We changed our motto to include 'and make the community proud' because winning premierships was too hard, and now we can't even do that.

There's genuinely no reason to support this club anymore other than pining for a club that once existed under the same name but exists no longer. We are Port Adelaide in name only, on and off the field. We changed our motto to include 'and make the community proud' because winning premierships was too hard, and now we can't even do that.
I agree with that fundamentally but didn't the club drop 'make the community proud'?

Doesn't really matter, we can't really do either.

Gameday village gone as well, good stuff port rolling over as usual.

Lol that one was an absolute doozy.

South Australian football once again beheading itself to spite its face.

Last edited:
I agree with that fundamentally but didn't the club drop 'make the community proud'?

Doesn't really matter, we can't really do either.

did they ? I must've missed this too if so, is it still inside our guernsey's?

Live Ladders which I think is run by one of the HPN stats guys, or if its not them, its one of the other footy stats guys, says Sydney will win 18 games and finish first, then 4 teams will be on 56 pts - Collingwood 13 wins and 2 draws, Geelong, Port and Carlton on 14 wins.

They have assigned percentages to each team, no idea how they do that, and they have Collingwood on 111%, Carlton 110%, Geelong 108% and Port on 107%.

They have both Freo (114%) Essendon (100%) on 54 pts ie 13 wins and a draw and Bulldogs 8th on 13 wins with 118% over GWS 13 wins and 107%.

Freo and Bulldogs at the moment have effectively the second best % with 121.36% and 121.34% respectively. That shellacking of Melbourne saw Freo's % go increase from 110.64% and probably will come in handy in getting them a home final if they are indeed battling with Essendon for 6th spot.

There's enough of the happy clapper element to just say meh to generational Port families/members/backers etc. walking away they just don't give a shit.
I think so.

They'd be of the opinion that we dont need people like that.
Much easier to wash their hands of this vile pig and his 'irrational response' than consider their own process, that allows for letting a kid down, could be in any way at the heart of the problem.

Perhaps it was an irrational response. Theres little doubt they conduct an often heartless process though.

Benny D leaving, and a couple of other people who were life long Port members no longer working for Port, is why this has got to this stage. Covid also saw a whole lot of staff changes.

The staff I've dealt with on the phone have been pleasant and efficient, as have the 2 or 3 I've dealt with in person over the last few years.

Benny would have gone the extra mile to fix this up, because he was so invested in the club and its members.

So we rang to cancel all 3 memberships an hour ago, the person my Wife spoke to asked why.
She initially declined to give a reason and then thought stuff it and said our daughter was offered a post game experience Thursday night which turned out to be a bad one and we've decided being Port members isnt for us.
He asked if he could put her on hold and returned a few moments later to say thats been done and a FULL refund of all monies paid will be deposited to your nominated account.
The money went back in minutes later.

Now I don't know about you, but to me that says a thousand words, they just want it to go away.

And for the record, Stephen Shirley still hasn't returned her call from Friday afternoon to dispute his staff's version of events.
Membership drone: I don't know PenfoldFan's wife, I never met PenfoldFan's wife or had any contact with her, but cries I'm sorry, I can't go on.

Stephen Shirley: Your tears say more than real evidence ever could.

SMDH reading the last few pages. Why on Earth would they set something up that has a 50/50 chance of disappointing a child? Makes absolutely zero sense.

Sorry sweetheart Santa couldn’t deliver your present this year it’s over 25 degrees and it’s too hot for the reindeer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Benny D leaving, and a couple of other people who were life long Port members no longer working for Port, is why this has got to this stage. Covid also saw a whole lot of staff changes.

The staff I've dealt with on the phone have been pleasant and efficient, as have the 2 or 3 I've dealt with in person over the last few years.

Benny would have gone the extra mile to fix this up, because he was so invested in the club and its members.
Well now, we can't have that then, can we?
Gotta be ruthless with these pesky, time wasting supporters.

Membership drone: I don't know PenfoldFan's wife, I never met PenfoldFan's wife or had any contact with her, but cries I'm sorry, I can't go on.

Stephen Shirley: Your tears say more than real evidence ever could.
And don't call me Shirley.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's funny isn't it. When we were doing well on the field, we were doing well off the field.

In 2014:

• We had the best gameday experience in the league to the point that everyone tried to copy it, like Homer's Wonderbat.
  • We had the wildly popular Gameday Village. I used to get to the ground like 2 hours early. Now it's lucky to be 20 minutes.
  • We had a genuinely loud and engaged crowd. Remember when they did the decibel test? Imagine if they did that now LMAO.

It's all faded away. KT had his issues but did a lot right early days, and now we've gotten his non-union Mexican equivalent. We lost the best membership dept manager in the business. We've let Hinkley keep coaching despite not having given a **** for at least 7 years, arguably longer, not to even mention performance. We only recruit and promote from within. We absolutely ****ing hate criticism and expend most of our effort shutting it down.

The great poet Rooch once described the club as a being stuck in the U bend waiting for a flush. Now the toilet is more clogged than ever with Rucci included, and we'll need a plunger, some draino and an exorcist to get clear it out.
It is gotten to the point where it is always just a matter of time that the club under David shows very poor decision making on football matters that trickles down and a new level of disdain for the members and fans.

You can set your watch by it.

They are bumbling, arrogant and unlikeable fools.

They are just empty shells of people running a once great club.

The only thing you can do is have a laugh.

So my Wife finally got to speak with Stephen Shirley and give her side of the story with regards to his staff failing to notify us that there would be no player interaction due to the loss.
His response was that his staff said they did, so my Wife said she's not getting into a he said she said but that her final question of having a photo and the staff members answer of being player dependant doesnt support their narrative.

He told her the leadership group have been discussing it and looking at ways to improve the experience for the member as they'd never been called out on it before and acknowledged that every kid is different.

Apparently they wont be reporting me to the AFL as we cancelled our memberships, so to me that says the AFL's policy is only relevant if they can enforce punishment.

He said he hoped that our Daughter can heal and one day sit down and watch the team play.
He said he might send her something.

Fair dinkum, this could all have been avoided if Stephen had refrained from repeatedly threatening me with the AFL and prioritised the poorly run experience that a child was exposed to before the concern for his staff.

Had he said to me we acknowledge the shortcomings in the process for those unfortunate to be at a losing game and as a result we want to make it up to your Daughter, however, there is still the issue of how you spoke infront of our staff. I would have shown immediate remorse, asked what I could do to show how sorry and out of character it was and copped whatever sanction the AFL deemed appropriate and we would still be members if that was permissable.

I appreciate Stephens offer of sending something out to my Daughter, but in reality it is as hollow as the pre signed ball thats sitting on our kitchen table and hasnt been touched since Thursday night.
All she desired was to be made to feel special in that moment by having a player acknowledge her, speak to her, sign the ball for her and maybe have a photo with her.

What did happen to Ben? I never really knew him, but when living in Melb he was always around for Vic games and could tell he would bleed for the club...

What did happen to Ben? I never really knew him, but when living in Melb he was always around for Vic games and could tell he would bleed for the club...
Basically got offered a double the pay, half the hours job at the 36ers to head their membership department. He said no a couple of times, and they still kept increasing the offer.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back