Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

If Fremantle has offered pick 10 for Baker, as reported by Twomey, surely that deal is accepted and we have dodged another dud. Don't understand why he hasn't nominated Fremantle now.
From what I've read, Twomey never said Freo were offering pick 10 alone for Baker.
He said "It was on the table" but we don't know what other picks were involved.

No club is giving pick 10 for Baker.

From what I've read, Twomey never said Freo were offering pick 10 alone for Baker.
He said "It was on the table" but we don't know what other picks were involved.

No club is giving pick 10 for Baker.
A lot of moving parts.

Richmond will trade their second and third round picks for Brisbane 18 pick. With a promise not to bid on Ashcroft.

Rioli, Bolton, Graham, and Baker will likely include pick swaps.

Straight 10 for Baker no way.

If Fremantle has offered pick 10 for Baker, as reported by Twomey, surely that deal is accepted and we have dodged another dud. Don't understand why he hasn't nominated Fremantle now.

Both West coast and Freo fans will be delighted if the other teams gets him at that cost.

I like him as a player, but he is not an all Australian calibre player. An early 2nd should be enough.

How does Bailey Smith go for a 16 and change.

I think the most important part of the Twomey report was that Baker wants to ensure that whomever he nominates will be able to facilitate the deal.

I fully suspect that if he nominates WCE it would be knowing it has provided assurance that it can satisfy what Richmond is seeking at the trade table; which both WA clubs would obviously already know what that is.

I think the most important part of the Twomey report was that Baker wants to ensure that whomever he nominates will be able to facilitate the deal.

I fully suspect that if he nominates WCE it would be knowing it has provided assurance that it can satisfy what Richmond is seeking at the trade table; which both WA clubs would obviously already know what that is.
Not necessarily what Richmond is seeking, but a fair deal.

If the Richmond fans in the D&T board the last few months are any indication then Baker wont be going anywhere

Both West coast and Freo fans will be delighted if the other teams gets him at that cost.

I like him as a player, but he is not an all Australian calibre player. An early 2nd should be enough.

How does Bailey Smith go for a 16 and change.

The one thing that Baker brings that is seemingly being under appreciated is the off-field side.

He leads by example (winning the AFL’s most courageous award a few seasons ago), has captained Richmond this year and would likely be Richmond’s next captain if he stayed.

Which is what his worth comes down to, it’s not what is Baker’s value on an open market, but what is his value to Richmond.

Richmond will have to be mindful that Baker is out of contract and has a desire to return to WA, so it can’t hold out for the World, but that doesn’t change the fact that the parameters of the deal will be dictated by Richmond, not an open market.

The Bailey Smith situation is a lot different (some bad blood it would seem) although I’d agree on face value that he should be worth a lot more than 16 plus change.

Not necessarily what Richmond is seeking, but a fair deal.

If the Richmond fans in the D&T board the last few months are any indication then Baker wont be going anywhere

Blair Hartley in the past has been pragmatic in trading players out, and working with clubs to get to a ‘win-win’ scenario.

RFC would have provided the minimum requirement for a trade (at a guess it’ll be first round pick), but would be willing to work with whatever club Baker nominates to make the deal work (I.e. picks back to WCE/ Freo).

I know that Richmond fans probably won’t like that and want a ‘win only’ deal, but history says that in the way it’ll play out.

The one thing that Baker brings that is seemingly being under appreciated is the off-field side.

He leads by example (winning the AFL’s most courageous award a few seasons ago), has captained Richmond this year and would likely be Richmond’s next captain if he stayed.

Which is what his worth comes down to, it’s not what is Baker’s value on an open market, but what is his value to Richmond.

Richmond will have to be mindful that Baker is out of contract and has a desire to return to WA, so it can’t hold out for the World, but that doesn’t change the fact that the parameters of the deal will be dictated by Richmond, not an open market.

The Bailey Smith situation is a lot different (some bad blood it would seem) although I’d agree on face value that he should be worth a lot more than 16 plus change.

He is out of contract.

His value is set by the value the club he chooses picks. If Richmond are expecting a mid first rounder, I can see this deal being done on the last day.

Baker previously stated a late 2nd rounder wont do it.

Early 2nd isnt a late 2nd.

Blair Hartley in the past has been pragmatic in trading players out, and working with clubs to get to a ‘win-win’ scenario.

RFC would have provided the minimum requirement for a trade (at a guess it’ll be first round pick), but would be willing to work with whatever club Baker nominates to make the deal work (I.e. picks back to WCE/ Freo).

I know that Richmond fans probably won’t like that and want a ‘win only’ deal, but history says that in the way it’ll play out.
As I said, if Richmond fans here are any indication then a deal shouldnt get done. Richmond can set a price, and the WA teams can have their price, but at the end of the day Baker is uncontracted.

He himself may feel that Richmonds valuation of himself is too high and force the move, there is a world where he feels Richmond is being unreasonable.

TBH if a player asking for a trade cares what his old club gets then thats a huge red flag, his old clubs performance is not relevant, he should actively want the best deal for his new club more than anything. This whole idea alone is a big part of why I dont want him

As I said, if Richmond fans here are any indication then a deal shouldnt get done. Richmond can set a price, and the WA teams can have their price, but at the end of the day Baker is uncontracted.

He himself may feel that Richmonds valuation of himself is too high and force the move, there is a world where he feels Richmond is being unreasonable.

TBH if a player asking for a trade cares what his old club gets then thats a huge red flag, his old clubs performance is not relevant, he should actively want the best deal for his new club more than anything. This whole idea alone is a big part of why I dont want him
Not sure Richmond fans opinions = Richmond List Managers thinking

He is out of contract.

His value is set by the value the club he chooses picks. If Richmond are expecting a mid first rounder, I can see this deal being done on the last day.

No it isn’t.

That would be closer to the truth if the PSD is a legit option for a team to get him to a club, but in this case it isn’t, both because Richmond hold the first pick and more importantly because Baker and his management will ensure a deal is done and the PSD is avoided.

That’s not to say that his contract status isn’t important, Richmond will have to ensure that they’re not being unreasonable, but it doesn’t move the shoe to the other foot.

If being out of contract was so much of an issue, would Luke Jackson have been traded for two FRPs and a future second in 2022 when he was out of contract?

Baker previously stated a late 2nd rounder wont do it.

Early 2nd isnt a late 2nd.

Where did he state that?

If that’s the value that Richmond are seeking in return then that’ll be the deal.

100%. That is why Richmond needs to be pragmatic and not hold out for the world, which history says they will be pragramtic and reach a deal that both clubs’ supporter bases hate (the sign of a win-win deal).

I also have no issue with a player wanting to ensure the team that gave him his opportunity etc. should want to make sure that they aren’t left high-and-dry.

No it isn’t.

That would be closer to the truth if the PSD is a legit option for a team to get him to a club, but in this case it isn’t, both because Richmond hold the first pick and more importantly because Baker and his management will ensure a deal is done and the PSD is avoided.

That’s not to say that his contract status isn’t important, Richmond will have to ensure that they’re not being unreasonable, but it doesn’t move the shoe to the other foot.

If being out of contract was so much of an issue, would Luke Jackson have been traded for two FRPs and a future second in 2022 when he was out of contract?

Where did he state that?

If that’s the value that Richmond are seeking in return then that’ll be the deal.

100%. That is why Richmond needs to be pragmatic and not hold out for the world, which history says they will be pragramtic and reach a deal that both clubs’ supporter bases hate (the sign of a win-win deal).

I also have no issue with a player wanting to ensure the team that gave him his opportunity etc. should want to make sure that they aren’t left high-and-dry.
In the majority of cases, when there is no bad blood and a respected player requests a move, it generally happens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back