Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

Nah I’m just calling out your inconsistencies.
But one thing we will probably both agree on is that the players are probably more valuable to their current teams than the draft compensation they will get if they request a trade.
It's not inconsistent It's just fact. I'd personally love Baker to come to west coast and if I had to value him I'd say he'd be worth one of freo's earlier first rounders but the simple fact is west coast aren't in a position to offer anything more than change on top of their 2nd rounder this year. Richmond aren't obliged to accept that so they can then choose what they wish to do, hopefully in that case Baker decides to stay.

There will be clubs stockpiling assets for whenever Reid is out of contract to throw at him, that's the difference.

It's not inconsistent It's just fact. I'd personally love Baker to come to west coast and if I had to value him I'd say he'd be worth one of freo's earlier first rounders but the simple fact is west coast aren't in a position to offer anything more than change on top of their 2nd rounder this year. Richmond aren't obliged to accept that so they can then choose what they wish to do, hopefully in that case Baker decides to stay.

There will be clubs stockpiling assets for whenever Reid is out of contract to throw at him, that's the difference.
Harley will choose a new home and it will be up to the club he chooses to negotiate with West Coast. The situation is no different to what Richmond will do with Baker if he decides to leave.

West Coast have enough collateral to get a respectable trade done and theres no reason for them not to be reasonable. They would want to be setting a good example of acceptable behaviour when the inevitable comes their way.

Again it’s about consistencies.

He's an uncontracted player, there is no universe we split a top 3 pick for him or give up what we get for Barrass because in that case we would just keep Barrass. He will go for our 2nd and change if we get him.
Time will tell.

Hard to say we won’t split when you don’t know how our recruiting team rate the draftees? A lot to play out in all these spaces

Harley will choose a new home and it will be up to the club he chooses to negotiate with West Coast. The situation is no different to what Richmond will do with Baker if he decides to leave.

West Coast have enough collateral to get a respectable trade done and theres no reason for them not to be reasonable. They would want to be setting a good example of acceptable behaviour when the inevitable comes their way.

It's completely different. Harley is the most valuable asset in the AFL and clubs will be speaking to his manager every year to check in and if they think he is interested and that they're in with a sniff they'll be gathering assets to facilitate a trade. Baker is a good player but not the type of player you plan years in advance to get and WC are likely to have a better contract on offer to him than Freo, Reid will have teams trying to outbid each other for his signature.

Baker's choice will come down to if he prefers a chance at success sooner or if he prefers more money and to play for the team he supported growing up, and will have to wait a couple more years to push for finals.

WC are always fair traders but that doesn't mean they're going to split a top 3 pick in the middle of a rebuild just to get a better pick to appease Richmond. If he does choose us o
our 2nd is slight unders so I imagine that'll be our starting point and then a few other things will be discussed and figured out. WC fans will think we overpaid given where we're at in the rebuild and Richmond fans will probably think they got unders.

WC fans will think we overpaid given where we're at in the rebuild and Richmond fans will probably think they got unders.
This will be the same for Harley.

You ain’t getting a generational player in return or draft picks to satisfy losing one.

Best hope would be a big club sinks down the ladder in a couple of years. Wouldn’t be great if he chose a top club that was competing for a flag, for you guys.

This will be the same for Harley.

You ain’t getting a generational player in return or draft picks to satisfy losing one.

Best hope would be a big club sinks down the ladder in a couple of years. Wouldn’t be great if he chose a top club that was competing for a flag, for you guys.
If you say so

Did I hear Cotchin say Richmond when asked on talking footy if Baker would end up and Freo or Eagles? 🤔
He seemed to be non committal, I think he was trying not to be on either side. Said he hoped richmond for the club and fans. But did say he was an eagles fan growing up

He seemed to be non committal, I think he was trying not to be on either side. Said he hoped richmond for the club and fans. But did say he was an eagles fan growing up
Yeah it was after that part. Right at the end they did like a quick fire 5 question segment. I wasn't really paying attention. Pretty sure Cotchin said Richmond and Selwood said Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles will 100% make an offer that at least matches Freos.

Easy trade for Freo if he goes there unless they have Warner or Bolton on the hook.

A few different of ways to get the trade done if he decides to go home and picks the Eagles.
-Eagles can Split the first round pick (depends how they rank the draft)
-If Barrass does get traded (which I think he will and Eagles will get ‘overs’)
-Bundle the 2nd round picks.

A lot to unfold but if he leaves. he will get traded to what ever club he picks.
What makes you think he will be traded?

A few hours ago at the presser he pretty much said he would be an Eagle for life unless he was pushed out.

One day you might find that when you win flags you can afford to take risks topping up to win another
WC can afford to do whatever they like, doesn’t make it a good decision. Sometime you need to assess the list correctly & walk away when the price is too high.

A 1st rounder?

Great piece of recruiting by Crows though.
Swans wanted more - Crowd didn’t have the draft capital so it ended up 18. Dawson is a much better player than Baker - if a club doesn’t have the draft capital then you stuck taking what is on offer.

How many clubs will be chasing Harley?

Versus two WA clubs at either end of the table?

And being traded in contract or coming out of contract is another factor.

Supply and demand are factors are they not?

Swans wanted more - Crowd didn’t have the draft capital so it ended up 18. Dawson is a much better player than Baker - if a club doesn’t have the draft capital then you stuck taking what is on offer.
He is now, he wasn't at the time.

Of course they wanted more. Anyway it was a first rounder, I asked for examples where 1st round picks weren't given for players offered multiple long term deals.....
You have Sam Naismith and Samson Ryan....

You clearly need help. alot of help
He'd be depth for us because he's not better than Nank and he's an average forward.

You're not getting Baker for a depth player and a shuffle of later picks....

He is now, he wasn't at the time.

Of course they wanted more. Anyway it was a first rounder, I asked for examples where 1st round picks weren't given for players offered multiple long term deals.....

He'd be depth for us because he's not better than Nank and he's an average forward.

You're not getting Baker for a depth player and a shuffle of later picks....
He would play up forward because he is better then your non existant 3rd tall forward

Freo recruit way more players than west coast do...

Really, like who?

Since 2019

Freo has lost

Lachie Neale
Brad Hill
Langdon
Hogan
Cerra
Acres
Logue
Lobb
Meek
Schultz
Henry

Freo has gained

Corbett
Jackson
JOM
Brodie
Clark
Conca

West Coast has lost

Lycett

West Coast has gained

Tom Hickey
Tim Kelly
Zac Langdon
Alex Witherden
Sam PS
Jayden Hunt
Tyler Brockman

West coast has recruited many more players from other clubs actually and has lost basically nobody to other clubs in the last 5 years, in contrast, it seems as though lots of players want to leave freo

I do not think it controversial to say that for whatever reason West coast is a much more attractive destination for players to both go to and stay, compared to freo.

Love that Baker hasn't pigeon-holed himself into only one WA team, will definitely max out the final earnings he gets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back