QLD
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Spurs
Height: 185cm
Weight: 73kg
DOB: 4/03/88
Recruited from: Yuendumu/Federals/Wanderers (NT)
Bio: Exciting indigenous talent with a huge vertical leap and explosive foot speed. Has played some of his Northern Territory footy as a ruckman despite standing just 185cm. Reads the play well and knows how to bring his teammates into a game. He only came into serious draft discussions in the days leading up to the draft. Cousin of Melbourne's Liam Jurrah.
source

This guy is exciting to watch, he is quick, agile and takes some great grabs.

Some footage of his playing in the VFL for the suns this year
[youtube]D5dqDPhYi2E[/youtube]

Looks worth the admission on his own.

A player like this at a new franchise is worth his weight in gold.

They'll turn up early for Ablett and Brennan, Hunt etc, but once they get a glimpse of young Patrick they'll start coming through the gates for him.

43_LiamPatrick.jpg

DETAILS
JUMPER # 43
DOB 4 March 1988
HEIGHT 189cm
WEIGHT 71.9kg
BEGINNINGS Started playing in 2004 for the Federal Demons

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/liam-patrick/

Imagine driving 950 kilometres every weekend just to play the game you love?

It’s hard to fathom, but that’s exactly what GC SUNS forward Liam Patrick had to do to keep his AFL dream alive.

Just last year the ‘Lajamanu Lightning Bolt’ – cousin of Melbourne Demon Liam Jurrah - was making the weekly trip from his home in the Lajamanu community 550 kilometres south west of Katherine to Darwin to run out with NTFL club Wanderers.

His effort paid off when several clubs showed an interest but the Gold Coast SUNS short-circuited any chance of him going elsewhere via the 2010 rookie or pre-season drafts by contracting him as a Northern Territory priority pick.

After a slowish start to the 2010, Patrick impressed in the season’s later stages as dangerously quick, fast-leading and agile goal-kicking forward.

Good to see Liam in action against AFL opposition in the Eagles NAB Cup game yesterday when he came on as a sub in the second half. The young man is exciting to watch and adds a bit of unpredictability to our forward line. Lightning fast once he gets into rhythm, he scored three behinds (one poster), with an electrifying run through the middle hopefully a taste of things to come. Once he gets a few games and gets used to the tempo of the AFL, he could explode. Still looks a chance to grab a spot on a forward flank for our first game, but needs to follow up with strong performances in the last couple of NAB Challenge matches. Here's hoping :thumbsu:

Lads, this is the most impressive player from the match yesterday, unbelievable quick across the deck. His run in the last quarter was Adam Goodesesque.

Will watch him with interest over the coming months, really smart football brain as well, loves to draw players toward him to bring his teammates into the game with releasing possessions.

Good to watch :thumbsu:

My man Liam makes his long awaited debut on Sunday. Best of luck!!!

lajamanu-lightning-bolt-290411.jpg

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/04/29/311291_gold-coast-afl.html

Suns' Liam Patrick to make AFL debut

THE 'Lajamanu Lightning Bolt' is set to be unleashed.

At the age of 23, the super-exciting Liam Patrick -- who has fought back from many setbacks to realise his AFL dream -- is set to make his long-awaited senior debut for the Gold Coast Suns against Essendon at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

It has been a long wait from the man who hails from the remote Lajamanu community, which can be found 900km south of Darwin heading towards the Western Australian border.

He has battled obstacles, including the loss of his baby daughter in a car accident a few years ago, but never wavered from his goal of playing AFL football.

Tear it up Flash:thumbsu::cool:

I missed the game but saw he got 7 touches as the super-sub.
How did he look out there and any chance of a full game next week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I missed the game but saw he got 7 touches as the super-sub.
How did he look out there and any chance of a full game next week?

Definitely a chance for next week. Part of Bluey's rotations that a new guy will play 2 weeks and judge them from there. Or so he's shown thus far. Might even start on the park.

Lads, this is the most impressive player from the match yesterday, unbelievable quick across the deck. His run in the last quarter was Adam Goodesesque.

Will watch him with interest over the coming months, really smart football brain as well, loves to draw players toward him to bring his teammates into the game with releasing possessions.

Good to watch :thumbsu:

Good to see he was able to produce glimpses of what the lajamanu lightning bolt was able to in the NTFL.

A number of times I thought if he just put the power down he could have done some real damage running the field. But I guess that's confidence.

Even though I've seen him a fair bit, I never realised how much he moves and looks like Chris Lewis. His legs look the same, his running technique and gait are almost identical.

And remember, he was able to play in the ruck up here. So hopefully he can produce plenty more thrills. Great player to watch. :thumbsu:

Seems to be really taking this year by the scruff of the neck so far.

Played well in the first and second NAB games, and in a half of footy (NAB half), he looked dangerous off the half back line.

I think he really needs to execute his disposals better, but love his attack on the ball and his agility. One brilliant moment for mine against the Cats was where he collected the advantage and played on. When the umpire called play-on, he was a clear 15 meters gone from the mark and into space. If he can attack the ball at his huge pace more often, he'll be a gem.

If he can hit his targets and keep that effort up, he'll slot into the 22.

In about 40 minutes of play he accumulated 6 kicks, 8 handballs, 2 marks, 2 tackles and 1 free. Certainly not bad stats. Some of these kicks were going into 50 too, and if he had aimed a little better, would have definitely got some score assists. I think his problem has always been his lack of ability to run out a game. It's easier to be the sub and get these numbers.

I really hope we see him play a full game sometime in the pre-season just to see how he goes. Against the Giants this week may be his chance.

I think I said this on another thread, but because his frame is so small, he is very easily shoved/pushed around. He draws frees like no-bodies business.

In Round One of the 2012 NAB Cup, he won a few easy frees by being closest to the ball when it went out of bounds off an opposition player. In Round Two he won the ball more in general play. His mistakes were costly, but he did some good things & was more involved in the game than I've seen from him before. He's getting better.

If he can keep up the amount of good things he's doing, but cut down on his mistakes, he'll push for a senior spot. He'll be 24 in April, 2012 so the coaches may demand more from him this season than he's shown so far in order to retain his place on the list for 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back