Liberatore's On Field Collapse

Remove this Banner Ad

Except they have love footage on the bench, and channel 7 showed 3 replays of it over the next 2 minutes, all of which would have been seen by the doctor on the bench.

Plus Parish was waving for medical help
This is just a lie. You know the Channel 7 coverage is available to view on Kayo? Channel 7 did not show any replay from the moment it occured until (long) after the final siren. There's only footage from behind the other end of the ground, since it occured so far off the ball.

Abbey Holmes on the coverage, sitting next to the Bulldogs bench, 2.25 to go (~30 seconds after the incident): "I still don't think the Bulldogs doctors have noticed, there's been no movement"
No doctor or medico ever ran out to him at any point after the collapse.
Luke Hodge, 15 seconds to go: "the doctor is running out to Libba now"

At least be honest.

Trainers/Physio's are taught to watch the play and to follow the immediate after effects of contests. Don't really want to put too much blame on them for missing the incident considering the ball was 60m away. They probably saw Parish's hand up in the air and have seen Libba get up, say he's fine and then proceed to make gut busting runs for the 2 minutes of the match - Watch the footage, honestly incredible to see how much he works his ass off post the collapse. So for the doctors in-game to be scrutinised I don't think they would've seen immediate footage of the incident and it's a tad unfair considering the game ended (and he was subsequently assessed). If it was at the start of the quarter they would've definitely had access to vision and pulled him from the ground (I would hope)

… "the doctors tried to get out to him (for the final 3 minutes).

I strongly doubt that there would be anything stopping a doctor from going out onto the field at any time if they felt they needed to?

If a doctor (or anyone for that matter) runs onto the ground during play, then play will get stopped soon enough. Would people / commentators / AFL seriously criticise a doctor for running out to an injured player during play?

Except they have love footage on the bench, and channel 7 showed 3 replays of it over the next 2 minutes, all of which would have been seen by the doctor on the bench.

Plus Parish was waving for medical help
Not just Parish but the Bulldogs player to the left of Libba was waving as well. But no-one came to his aid.

The Stringer hit was one of the best (and fairest) you will see. It reminded me of one Doug Hawkins copped from Anthony Rock many years ago.
I spoke to Hawk about it some time later and he said it's the ones you don't see coming that do the most damage. The body can make a quick decision to brace itself in anticipation of impact.
I don't think Libba saw it coming and here we are. In this case, I think it was a delayed shock of the impact. Libba didn't look too flash after the game. The club would be wise to relieve him of his duties for 2 or 3 weeks.
As for Beveridge's assessment, it's an indication of a bloke under pressure. Sweating bullets tells a story.

libba.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Stringer hit was one of the best (and fairest) you will see..
I was almost going to start a thread solely dedicated to it!!

It was brutal. Liberace is a tough dude, and once the adrenaline wore off he was a crumpled mess after it.

There's really no way to legally maim someone these days - but Stringer found a way!!

He's a powerful, fast moving unit, and he timed it perfectly. Went super low, found the small window of vulnerability whilst the major organs were exposed and just crunched him at full speed! Top shelf brutality. His intent was absolutely nothing less than hurting him.

And even if it did cause a whiplash concussion, Stringer could claim with a straight face that it was a tackle and not a bump. I mean, it was clearly a bump, just not executed with the hip and/or shoulder in the traditional sense.

I've always considered Jake Stringer to be in the Top 3 on-field flogs of all time - but that act of legal thuggery was just magnificent.

He really should have immediately turned to the crowd and pointed in celebration immediately afterwards like he does after he kicks a goal.

The Stringer hit was one of the best (and fairest) you will see. It reminded me of one Doug Hawkins copped from Anthony Rock many years ago.
I spoke to Hawk about it some time later and he said it's the ones you don't see coming that do the most damage. The body can make a quick decision to brace itself in anticipation of impact.
I don't think Libba saw it coming and here we are. In this case, I think it was a delayed shock of the impact. Libba didn't look too flash after the game. The club would be wise to relieve him of his duties for 2 or 3 weeks.
As for Beveridge's assessment, it's an indication of a bloke under pressure. Sweating bullets tells a story.

View attachment 1958867
To quote Jake..” my eyes lit up like a Christmas tree” The verbal was going on all night between these two. We all know in todays football that you have to be extremely careful re.tackling and showing a duty of care. That was as brutal as todays football gets.

Chasing Tom And Jerry GIF by Max

I’m not sure any blame can be put on the doctors here. There was two minutes left and the incident was missed in real time.

You can hear on the broadcast that a doctor ran out to him with 30 seconds left and then the game finished. They would’ve been alerted to what had happened and took action We’re not talking like Libba was running around for 15 minutes here.

As for Bevo’s comments, I’d argue he was probably ill informed and the ankle comment might’ve come from Libba himself. He seems like the type to downplay it or pass it off as something minor.

I’d be checking for any heart issues following the Stringer hit. It’s happened previously in contact sports where a heavy hit at exactly the right time can cause heart issues.

And conveniently a late out with "illness" this past week.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with this week if he's to miss another match.

Honestly for his sake, nothing else matters. Just hope Liberatore is fine and healthy. One of those athletes who takes his body to the upmost extreme when it comes to fitness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Liberatore's On Field Collapse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back