Like to have a punt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Northam 23/10/2007

Best Bets
Race 1 - She's Royalty 3rd - didnt see race so dont know how it lost
Race 6 - Estiarte - Hung in all the way up the straight, whiting had to stop riding on several occasions to get it to straighten up. Ran 2nd and put me out of the Quaddie as I had it by itself.

Each Way
Race 7 - Dvoryan - 4th
Race 8 - Dante's Banquet - No idea

Have stayed away from quaddies lately but might be some value here at Northam today so going to have a crack at a Flexi Quaddie.

Race 5
Dr Bella - Seymour Park - Youlwin - Turbo Charged
Race 6
Estiarte - 2nd
Race 7
Dvoryan - Silver Rolls, Regal Minx, Aflica
Race 8
Our Boy Drew - Dante's Banquet - Midnight Train - Glastonbury Tor - Smiling Tsarina - Old Till - Whitehaven

2-5-6-12/6/1-2-8-11/1-2-3-5-7-10-11

Full Dividend - $112
Half Div - $56
Im going with 33% Flexi Quaddie for $37
25% would cost $28

Horses in Bold were winners.... Cant believe how much it paid $5868 - 3 winners, 1 second.... :(

Can someone explain what the hell "flexi" is? I got a letter in the mail explaining it but it made no sense.

I did one the other day and for $2 investment on a multi horse trifecta made a tidy profit on the $2.05 return.:eek:

Basically if you couple up combinations of horses in tri's quaddies etc. and lets say the total of your ticket without the flexi option is $200 but you flexi bet and only invest $20(10% of actual cost) then you will receive 10% of the winning dividend if it lobs.

Clear as mud really eh!!;)

I did one the other day and for $2 investment on a multi horse trifecta made a tidy profit on the $2.05 return.:eek:

Basically if you couple up combinations of horses in tri's quaddies etc. and lets say the total of your ticket without the flexi option is $200 but you flexi bet and only invest $20(10% of actual cost) then you will receive 10% of the winning dividend if it lobs.

Clear as mud really eh!!;)

Oh ok I kind of get it now. Basically you can pay a % of any trifecta bet but only get that % in winnings back. The letter I got was far more complex and ended with "Its that simple!"

Can someone explain what the hell "flexi" is? I got a letter in the mail explaining it but it made no sense.

Previously you could only get a half stake or a full stake on quaddies, quartets and trifectas. Now you can have any stake you want.

At Ascot on Saturday I liked 5 horses in the first leg of the quaddie then 4 in the other 3 races. 5 x 4 x 4 x 4 would have cost $320 for a full stake. I only wanted to spend $50, so I marked $50 on the ticket, which gave me 15.6%. The quaddie paid $2,406 so I got 15.6% of that winning stake back, which was $375.30.

Tomorrow's winners:

Ascot Race 3 Number 4 Rich And Wild
^Read up there a few posts^

Ascot Race 8 Number 10 No Questions
Good horse resuming in easier company than he's used to. Won a recent Belmont Park trial. Should go well.

Moonee Valley Race 4 Let Go Thommo
You'll get a good price for him as he's up against Miss Andretti and Gold Edition, arguably the nation's two best sprinters. But he hit the line very hard last weekend to run a very respectable third in a strong field and given another 50m would've won. This is 100m further and should suit him. Good value more than anything else, but in a 5 horse field (!) anything can happen.

I've gone for doubles and trebles throughout the day so hoping to string a few winners together.

PR1 Kens Double and Gloting
PR 2 Starsinmyvains and Yellow Moon
PR 3 Rich And Wild (Looks to be a 2 horse race)
PR 4 Keyton Grace
PR 5 Dark Target
PR 6 Silver Seam and Ebony Storm
PR 7 Diamond Hwy
PR 8 No Questions
PR 9 Changing Lanes and El Presidente

It's currently bucketing down, hopefully most of the rain falls before sunrise. :(

None of my published selections came in this week! Oops. I did have a very good winner though in My Time, which won the fifth at Ascot. Paid $8 in the ring. Also had a few on the nose of Royale Harvest in the sixth, coming in at $5. So a good day for me.

I wasn't too disappointed with Rich And Wild. He got a tough draw (barrier 9 in a field of 10) but he got a great jump. Trouble is, that meant he had to go to the front or stay 3 deep. He went forward and was made to work very hard by the two horses inside him to get there. He's definitely not suited to running in front as his best asset is a good turn of foot and he's still building some stamina. But he battled on well and was only 3 and a quarter lengths away in sixth despite not being suited by the way the race was run and having little luck. Hopefully he learned a bit and I think the run will do him a lot of good. We'll do it all again in 2 weeks if all goes to plan. I just hope we get a good draw next time so he can have a bit more flexibility in how to run the race.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of my published selections came in this week! Oops. I did have a very good winner though in My Time, which won the fifth at Ascot. Paid $8 in the ring. Also had a few on the nose of Royale Harvest in the sixth, coming in at $5. So a good day for me.

I wasn't too disappointed with Rich And Wild. He got a tough draw (barrier 9 in a field of 10) but he got a great jump. Trouble is, that meant he had to go to the front or stay 3 deep. He went forward and was made to work very hard by the two horses inside him to get there. He's definitely not suited to running in front as his best asset is a good turn of foot and he's still building some stamina. But he battled on well and was only 3 and a quarter lengths away in sixth despite not being suited by the way the race was run and having little luck. Hopefully he learned a bit and I think the run will do him a lot of good. We'll do it all again in 2 weeks if all goes to plan. I just hope we get a good draw next time so he can have a bit more flexibility in how to run the race.
Yea he had a tough run in front, especially down the back of the course going into that pretty strong head wind. Would have taken a bit out of him id say.

Is he backing up again this week or having the 2-3 week break again.

Yea he had a tough run in front, especially down the back of the course going into that pretty strong head wind. Would have taken a bit out of him id say.

Is he backing up again this week or having the 2-3 week break again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure that at this stage of the season all of the 2 year old events are a fortnight apart (have been so far). So I don't think there will be a race for him this weekend even if we wanted to give him a one week turnaround. Saturday the 10th of November is the plan at this stage. :thumbsu: :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure that at this stage of the season all of the 2 year old events are a fortnight apart (have been so far). So I don't think there will be a race for him this weekend even if we wanted to give him a one week turnaround. Saturday the 10th of November is the plan at this stage. :thumbsu: :)
Yep my bad :thumbsu:

Hard to find a clear winner this week. I'd have Beat The Storm, but he has to carry the weight of the world on his back. Star Risca, Royale Harvest and Capuchin will all be too short for me. I might just pin my hopes on one Perth race this week.

Ascot Race 7 Number 7 Bull Durham
I first started following him 2 starts back when he dead-heated with Diamond Highway in a very good run. Last week he very nearly got up against a good winner. He really made Dane's Mystery earn it. He's worth a couple each way on that form but I think this is a bit harder.

So who is everyone picking for the Melbourne Cup? This race has been the source of some of my biggest collects, seem to pick the winner more often than not. Over the last 10 or so years anyway.

This year I think there are 5 genuine chances.

Master O'Reilly - Current fav and deserves that tag, massive run to win the Caulfield Cup. 4th fastest in history if I remember correctly and was running away at the end.

Purple Moon - Was an eye catching run in the Caulfield Cup, got blocked and held up in the straight. Got out too late but rattled home.

Douro Valley - Sort of a suprise packet this horse, caught my eye when winning with Darren Beadman's last ride in Australia. Didnt have the same acceleration in the straight as Master O'Reilly in the Caulfield Cup but was a good run and should continue his form in the Melbourne Cup.

Maybe Better - Hasnt shown his best form but is a class act and will be in the firing line.

Zipping - Previous place getter in the cup. Barrier may be its down fall but with a bit of luck should be in the thick of things.

Out of those 5, my pick is Purple Moon with Damien Oliver.

Im actually going to have an each way bet on Tungsten Strike. Scared of this horse to be honest. I have a feeling it may stride 4 lengths clear hitting the straight and may not be run down.

Zipping was 4th in the cup last year. He's never placed in it before.

I like Zipping and Princess Coup. I'm generally not real keen on the kiwi horses but Princess Coup has really shown some form. 2nd in the Mackinnon and 3rd in the Caulfield Cup is just about the best form in the race IMO. Zipping is one of the very few horses who will actually appreciate the step up in distance. If he can get a clear run in the straight without having to go too wide during the running he will be hard to beat. His turn of foot is deadly.

I can't quite find who will be the third leg of my trfecta. I fancy Blue Monday, Purple Moon and Master O'Reilly but I can't quite decide. The Fuzz could be there and I fancy Maybe Better as a mud runner too. Ugh, I've always found the Melbourne Cup to be a mongrel betting race. I'm one of the minority who gets a lot more excited by the Cox Plate.

So close yet so far for Purple Moon. I got on at fixed odds Sunday at $10/$3 so made a bit of a profit but I'd still be drunk now if he had hung on considering how heavily I backed it.

Anyone else cop this from eagles workmates "Typical purples, second as usual!"
:rolleyes:

So who is everyone picking for the Melbourne Cup? This race has been the source of some of my biggest collects, seem to pick the winner more often than not. Over the last 10 or so years anyway.

I think the same thing. Each year I narrow it down to about 5 horses and cover them so that if either of the 2 I like most win I'll clean up and if any of the other 3 win I'll make a small profit or break even. This year is only the second time in 12 Cups that I haven't had anything on the winner.

Hard luck Dom and Pistol. Mighty run from Purple Moon. Sadly the same could not be said for Princess Coup, who never looked likely, and Zipping, who had every chance but surprisingly didn't seem to get the trip.

I don't know how anyone could've backed Efficient considering his form. I knew he had the talent, but ruled a line through him after he showed absolutely nothing all campaign. Until the day it mattered, of course.

Also, it was very sad to see Bay Story go down earlier in the day. It's never easy to see such a fine animal sustaining an injury so severe that they have to be destroyed.

On a brighter note, Rich And Wild is in the field for the Nicholas Martinovich 40 Year Membership Plate this Saturday. He had a bit more luck in the draw this time, he got barrier 1! Here's hoping he'll appreciate the step up to 1100m and get over the line first.

On a brighter note, Rich And Wild is in the field for the Nicholas Martinovich 40 Year Membership Plate this Saturday. He had a bit more luck in the draw this time, he got barrier 1! Here's hoping he'll appreciate the step up to 1100m and get over the line first.

I'm guessing he wont be leading this time. Had to do a bit of work last time from the wide draw. Might put a few $$ on him.

Who is riding him?

I'm guessing he wont be leading this time. Had to do a bit of work last time from the wide draw. Might put a few $$ on him.

Who is riding him?

Clint Harvey is back on board after he missed the last ride through suspension.

Don't go backing it into favouritism, I still want some good odds! ;)

(It'll probably start favourite anyway)

Great run by Rich And Wild! Had $20 on the nose, and I also have a $10 double with Pure Black in the third and a couple of trebles with those 2 along with New Spice and West River Charley in the 7th.

I got close on Tuesday then donated $300 to the Packers last night so a treble or even a double would be nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Like to have a punt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back