List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this is more about selection than list management, but I’d like to see the following for the rest of this year:

1. Scully to debut, and ideally play alongside of Lord and Georgiades late in the season. Scully is the obvious longterm forward/second ruck option for me.

2. Visentini to get given a patient and extended go at ruck. Sweet’s ceiling is very low. Soldo is an incomplete player. Neither are the answer. Dante has not played enough footy this year because we’ve dicked around with him at SANFL level (eg resting too much forward) and as a travelling emergency.

3. Lorenz to be tried on a wing.

4. Houston to return to the midfield, possibly with Bergman. Wines and Drew are not getting it done. Yes, JHF and Rozee in particular are not pulling their weight either post-bye, but we need to try something else around them.

5. Continue to look at Sinn and Evans behind the ball. Perhaps Bergman too if you’re not playing him in the centre square. Bergman on the wing doesn’t work.

6. Plan to look at Jackson at AFL later in the year.

7. Try Anastosopoulos instead of McEntee. Honestly, this one might end up a nil-nil draw, but no-one can argue that we’ll miss McEntee if he’s omitted for a few weeks.

If we could, I’d love to replace one of Aliir or BZT who both need to be dropped. Maybe T. Marshall could be tried in place of one of them for a while to get Scully some time forward. Kyle Marshall, McCallum and Walsh aren’t ready and may never be, to try at AFL level.

I'm a Todd supporter but I'd drop him in present form it wouldn't hurt him he needs a reset.

Everything is a limbo land directionless mess under Hinkley though, he's the epitome of a player you'd like to see under a better coach and system so you need to hold out.
Totally agree, Todd and Jed will be better under a new coach and system.

Marshall gets harshly judged
1. Todd and Mitch do not play similar styles.

They’re as different as they are to any other kf in the league.

2. Your measure of a blue chip kf is being AA?

As I explained we’ve had just 1 AA season from a kf in the last 20 years. That’s a ridiculous expectation.

Adelaide have had 1 AA season from a kf in their entire history.

You’re living in dreamland.

We might be lucky to see another before we shuffle off this planet.
No I said, and read the post, the measures of blue chip are consistency, being above average in your stats and performance, being AA. Todd is bog standard in his stats. The areas he excels are pressure and marks on a lead. He isn’t consistent and goes missing against good opposition. He is bog average, not blue chip. What is your definition of blue chip?

Dixon was AA in 2020, WGT 2001-2004.

Mitch and Todd are both lead up forwards. Todd can apply pressure and creates a bit more, Mitch (thus having more potential) can also take a contested grab.

I posted elsewhere that we should trade Marshall, assuming we could get a top 20 pick in return to try again with another tall forward.

But I understand and begrudgingly agree with Philthy’s caution about doing so.

However, I don’t think Marshall should be allowed to feel so comfortable about his place in our squad and team any more. His form for most of this year hasn’t passed the eye test - at least for me. Yes, we’re not generating enough inside 50s for the forwards, but being outmarked by opponents who are playing in front of you when the ball quickly enters forward 50 from a clearance is not good enough. It’s happening too often. He’s barely better than Finlayson in that regard. It’s as though he’s not concentrating or his mind is distracted by other thoughts so he’s not ready when the ball comes his way.

If our season continues to unravel and his form doesn’t improve, then he needs a spell in the SANFL. Some standards need to be set. For all players, including him.
I’m actually a fan of Todd. But what I saw today was a guy lacking confidence, getting Bronx cheers from supporters that are fed up with the coach and president. Todd doesn’t have an avenue to goals other than as a lead up forward. He will never be Charlie Dixon, the powerful, ball demanding forward and it’s unfair of us to expect that of him. I don’t think he will ever be a good to great forward. We need draft and trade capital, that’s clear. And it may be in Todd’s best interests to move on. If we can convince Wines to change his mind and go to North, then I would be pushing that too.

I'm a Todd supporter but I'd drop him in present form it wouldn't hurt him he needs a reset.

Everything is a limbo land directionless mess under Hinkley though, he's the epitome of a player you'd like to see under a better coach and system so you need to hold out.
Yea this is the hope. What have we seen in Todd that suggests he will be any different at Port under a different coach?

I know this is more about selection than list management, but I’d like to see the following for the rest of this year:

1. Scully to debut, and ideally play alongside of Lord and Georgiades late in the season. Scully is the obvious longterm forward/second ruck option for me.

2. Visentini to get given a patient and extended go at ruck. Sweet’s ceiling is very low. Soldo is an incomplete player. Neither are the answer. Dante has not played enough footy this year because we’ve dicked around with him at SANFL level (eg resting too much forward) and as a travelling emergency.

3. Lorenz to be tried on a wing.

4. Houston to return to the midfield, possibly with Bergman. Wines and Drew are not getting it done. Yes, JHF and Rozee in particular are not pulling their weight either post-bye, but we need to try something else around them.

5. Continue to look at Sinn and Evans behind the ball. Perhaps Bergman too if you’re not playing him in the centre square. Bergman on the wing doesn’t work.

6. Plan to look at Jackson at AFL later in the year.

7. Try Anastosopoulos instead of McEntee. Honestly, this one might end up a nil-nil draw, but no-one can argue that we’ll miss McEntee if he’s omitted for a few weeks.

If we could, I’d love to replace one of Aliir or BZT who both need to be dropped. Maybe T. Marshall could be tried in place of one of them for a while to get Scully some time forward. Kyle Marshall, McCallum and Walsh aren’t ready and may never be, to try at AFL level.

I would just select our 6 best goalkicking players and play them up forward. Could be Scully, JHF, Rozee being in the forward line.

I don't care if they don't defend or tackle. I want to see if it's the players or the system

Marshall gets harshly judged

No I said, and read the post, the measures of blue chip are consistency, being above average in your stats and performance, being AA. Todd is bog standard in his stats. The areas he excels are pressure and marks on a lead. He isn’t consistent and goes missing against good opposition. He is bog average, not blue chip. What is your definition of blue chip?

Dixon was AA in 2020, WGT 2001-2004.

Mitch and Todd are both lead up forwards. Todd can apply pressure and creates a bit more, Mitch (thus having more potential) can also take a contested grab.

I’m actually a fan of Todd. But what I saw today was a guy lacking confidence, getting Bronx cheers from supporters that are fed up with the coach and president. Todd doesn’t have an avenue to goals other than as a lead up forward. He will never be Charlie Dixon, the powerful, ball demanding forward and it’s unfair of us to expect that of him. I don’t think he will ever be a good to great forward. We need draft and trade capital, that’s clear. And it may be in Todd’s best interests to move on. If we can convince Wines to change his mind and go to North, then I would be pushing that too.
The Wines one is becoming more obvious by the week. Of all the things wrong with us this year, the lack of influence that Wines and Drew have on our midfield contest and clearance work is most perplexing for me.

I’m disappointed in JHF post-bye, but accept that he’s young and learning to deal with a tag. In the month before the Carlton game, he was a shining light.

Similarly, you can see Butters trying today to get his mojo back after 2-3 weeks of passive acceptance of being tagged.

I accept that Rozee is a downhill skier and not a clearance or contested ball winning mid.

But what the hell is up with the consistent inability of Wines AND Drew to roll their sleeves up and win some contested ball. Both of them have let us down as much as anyone in finals, Showdowns and this recent rut where we’re getting flogged in the contest. I’d happily accept some Ollie and Drew hack kicks, if it meant we weren’t leaking easy clearance losses so consistently.

The Wines one is becoming more obvious by the week. Of all the things wrong with us this year, the lack of influence that Wines and Drew have on our midfield contest and clearance work is most perplexing for me.

I’m disappointed in JHF post-bye, but accept that he’s young and learning to deal with a tag. In the month before the Carlton game, he was a shining light.

Similarly, you can see Butters trying today to get his mojo back after 2-3 weeks of passive acceptance of being tagged.

I accept that Rozee is a downhill skier and not a clearance or contested ball winning mid.

But what the hell is up with the consistent inability of Wines AND Drew to roll their sleeves up and win some contested ball. Both of them have let us down as much as anyone in finals, Showdowns and this recent rut where we’re getting flogged in the contest. I’d happily accept some Ollie and Drew hack kicks, if it meant we weren’t leaking easy clearance losses so consistently.
It's not a mystery. We play 5 centre square mids and that's one too many. You can only play 3 at a time and there's only so many minutes to go around.

I know I'm very much in the minority on this but I'd still happily drop Drew unless he can learn to play a different position. Playing him and Wines throws our balance out, and I prefer Wines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a mystery. We play 5 centre square mids and that's one too many. You can only play 3 at a time and there's only so many minutes to go around.

I know I'm very much in the minority on this but I'd still happily drop Drew unless he can learn to play a different position.
I’d absolutely drop Drew based on his last 6-8 weeks. Since the Collingwood game he has been third rate. Not locking down effectively on any opponents and clearly not winning enough ball - either contested or outside. He escapes a lot of scrutiny but is another example of someone whose form has regressed after a very short period of looking like he might take the next step.

Many might hate this but what would Butters get us in a trade 🤔 could we get 2 1st rounders.
I love him and my preference is we keep him with a coach that isn't with us now.
But im concerned he didn't sign on long term also

I know I'm very much in the minority on this but I'd still happily drop Drew unless he can learn to play a different position. Playing him and Wines throws our balance out, and I prefer Wines.
We were supposed to have a balanced midfield where the inside “beasts” (Wines, Drew) complemented the in-out three jets. Virtually none of them has done his job against the Crows, Carlton, GWS or Lions, while only JHF fired a shot against Collingwood and Hawthorn.

Wines and Drew were in the centre square often enough to have some opportunity to impact the clearances today. In the first quarter alone, I can recall two instances where Wines was head over the footy against Berry, had at least a 50% share of the scrimmage and lost a clean clearance to him. There was no resistance from him at all. Couldn’t even secure a ball up. Weak.

Last edited:
Didn’t that happen once today?
Don’t worry Philthy doesn’t go live he reads stats

If you watched him live today you couldn’t say anything positive.. his body work, his second efforts, his ability in a contest were so bad and basically non competitive at times. and has been for a number of weeks. Hence the several Bronx cheers

he’s just another flakey type.. absolutely trade him.

Based on this year I’m not sure he can actually play.

But yes he should never ruck again.

Body language is very bad..

Poor body language in a non performing side gets you sacked from most professional sports teams.

I like him as a forward and left as a forward he's looked good. We have messed him up Rucking him.

Body language needs to change or he doesn't get a new deal. He can play but for were we are at we don't need his attitude on the ground.

I’d be more concerned about delisting guys like McEntee than guys arhat actually kick goals like Todd Marshall does

McEntee kicked as many goals as Todd did yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back