List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been banging on about the development of key position players for a while now. It started as just defence but eventually overflowed to forwards and then to rucks.

During Hinkley's reign he's struggled to develop the majority of tall players and the List Development Team haven't given him any favours.

We've got year, player, draft selection, then brackets game played.
The bolded players were traded in.

2012, Tom Clurey 29 [124], Mason Shaw 30 [0], Jack Hombsch [89]
2013, Mitchell Harvey 45 [0], Brent Renouf R44 [16]
2014 Dougal Howard 56 [45], Logan Austin 59 [13], Billy Frampton 84 [3], Paddy Ryder [73]
2016, Todd Marshall 16 [116], Peter Ladhams R9 [32], Bretty Eddy R26 [3], Jarrod Lienert R42 [23], Charlie Dixon [156]
2017, Sam Hayes 47 [11], Jack Watts [21], Trent McKenzie [58]
2018, Riley Grundy 73 [0], Scott Lycett [71]
2019, Mitch Georgiades 19 [69], Jake Pasini R8 [0], Wylie Buzza [9]
2020, Ollie Lord 49 [19], Aliir Aliir [92]
2021, Dante Visentini 56 [6], Jeremy Finlayson [54], Sam Skinner [2]
2022, Tom McCallum 36 [0], Tom Scully 53 [0], Kyle Marshall 59 [0] Brynn Teakle M8 [6]
2023, Xavier Walsh R13 [0], Esava Ratugolea [23], Brandon Zerk-Thatcher [26], Ivan Soldo [8], Jordon Sweet [17]

From the home grown talent, we have three lower draft picks in Clurey, Marshall and Georgiades getting games. Next is Dougal Howard. Then not a lot after.

With trades we have clear winners in Dixon, Aliir, Hombsch, Ryder, Lycett, Finlayson, McKenzie and recently Sweet and Zerk-Thatcher.

Two disappointments would be pick 30 on Mason Wood who didn't play a game and trading in Jack Watts for 21 games.

It is around 2020 when we started to get some issues and become a bit desperate for tall timber. In 2020, by all accounts, we luck upon Aliir. In 2021, we luck into Finlayson and try out Skinner. In 2022, all of the picks we bring in are key position players, including Teakle. By 2023, we are super desperate and overpay for four missing key position players.

I'm not going to go super deep into analysis but you can see the lack of key position players being picked in the first or second round and when we have invested it has been pretty good with Clurey, Marshall and Georgiades. After those early picks, the majority of our tall stocks have come from trading.

In recent times, the poor list management and development coaching has meant we've had to pay overs to be at least competitive with our tall players.

KEY FORWARDS

Mitch Georgiades - looking great
Todd Marshall - serious injury issues
Esava Ratugolea - honest tryer
Jeremy Finlayson - soft, more backup
Ollie Lord - young and unknown
Tom Scully - yet to debut for the Power

There is Mitch and five question marks. Hopefully Lukosius can play that third tall. He will give us a good, second tall option. Another tall forward with talent would be nice and we would probably have to go to the draft with one of the Houston picks but I think picking up another tall player later in the draft would be a good idea.

KEY DEFENDERS

Aliir Aliir - very good, 30 but a young 30
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - pretty good
Miles Bergman - excellent up and coming 3rd tall
Tom Clurey - Clayton's delisting
Kyle Marshall - yet to debut
Xavier Walsh - yet to debut

We should be happy with our tall defenders but we could always upgrade Zerk but he's pretty good. Cover for the ageing Aliir should be a consideration.

RUCK

Jordon Sweet - number 1 but would love a bit more around the ground
Ivan Soldo - wanting to be traded
Dante Visentini - talented and waiting in the wings

We should be happy with our ruck situation. Once again, it could be better but we have rucks. I guess another developing ruck should be brought in.

I want Tredders to have a good look into our development coaching strategies for young players especially those over 193cm.

Last edited:
There’s a few left field options I reckon which might be worth a look:

Finlayson couldhold down a bench spot as a true utility. Could play forward, back, or on the wing. Has speed and a good kick, and could give us an extra marking target. Could go behind the ball. Not many players would actually suit having a random role, but I reckon Jez would. He is an AFL player - will always be that 15-22 - but he has shown what he can do when in form and playing with some freedom.

SPP could go in the centre square with Rozee forward. So could Bergman too and maybe Burgoyne eventually. I dont think anybody else is good enough. If Wines or Drew are injured SPP would be the obvious big body in there. Has finals all over him too.

I think Lord, with a full preseason could take a full forward role with Esava as depth (and Marshall retired). We all know Esava doesn’t have much improvement, but Lord with some maturity could almostdouble his goals by just converting set shots. With a full season that could be a 35 goal season.

I've been banging on about the development of key position players for a while now. It started as just defence but eventually overflowed to forwards and then to rucks.

During Hinkley's reign he's struggled to develop the majority of tall players and the List Development Team haven't given him any favours.

We've got year, player, draft selection, then brackets game played.
The bolded players were traded in.

2012, Tom Clurey 29 [124], Mason Shaw 30 [0], Jack Hombsch [89]
2013, Mitchell Harvey 45 [0], Brent Renouf R44 [16]
2014 Dougal Howard 56 [45], Logan Austin 59 [13], Billy Frampton 84 [3], Paddy Ryder [73]
2016, Todd Marshall 16 [116], Peter Ladhams R9 [32], Bretty Eddy R26 [3], Jarrod Lienert R42 [23], Charlie Dixon [156]
2017, Sam Hayes 47 [11], Jack Watts [21], Trent McKenzie [58]
2018, Riley Grundy 73 [0], Scott Lycett [71]
2019, Mitch Georgiades 19 [69], Jake Pasini R8 [0], Wylie Buzza [9]
2020, Ollie Lord 49 [19], Aliir Aliir [92]
2021, Dante Visentini 56 [6], Jeremy Finlayson [54], Sam Skinner [2]
2022, Tom McCallum 36 [0], Tom Scully 53 [0], Kyle Marshall 59 [0] Brynn Teakle M8 [6]
2023, Xavier Walsh R13 [0], Esava Ratugolea [23], Brandon Zerk-Thatcher [26], Ivan Soldo [8], Jordon Sweet [17]

From the home grown talent, we have three lower draft picks in Clurey, Marshall and Georgiades getting games. Next is Dougal Howard. Then not a lot after.

With trades we have clear winners in Dixon, Aliir, Hombsch, Ryder, Lycett, Finlayson, McKenzie and recently Sweet and Zerk-Thatcher.

Two disappointments would be pick 30 on Mason Wood who didn't play a game and trading in Jack Watts for 21 games.

It is around 2020 when we started to get some issues and become a bit desperate for tall timber. In 2020, by all accounts, we luck upon Aliir. In 2021, we luck into Finlayson and try out Skinner. In 2022, all of the picks we bring in are key position players, including Teakle. By 2023, we are super desperate and overpay for four missing key position players.

I'm not going to go super deep into analysis but you can see the lack of key position players being picked in the first or second round and when we have invested it has been pretty good with Clurey, Marshall and Georgiades. After those early picks, the majority of our tall stocks have come from trading.

In recent times, the poor list management and development coaching has meant we've had to pay overs to be at least competitive with our tall players.

KEY FORWARDS

Mitch Georgiades - looking great
Todd Marshall - serious injury issues
Esava Ratugolea - honest tryer
Jeremy Finlayson - soft, more backup
Ollie Lord - young and unknown
Tom Scully - yet to debut for the Power

There is Mitch and five question marks. Hopefully Lukosius can play that third tall. He will give us a good, second tall option. Another tall forward with talent would be nice and we would probably have to go to the draft with one of the Houston picks but I think picking up another tall player later in the draft would be a good idea.

KEY DEFENDERS

Aliir Aliir - very good, 30 but a young 30
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - pretty good
Miles Bergman - excellent up and coming 3rd tall
Tom Clurey - Clayton's delisting
Kyle Marshall - yet to debut
Xavier Walsh - yet to debut

We should be happy with our tall defenders but we could always upgrade Zerk but he's pretty good. Cover for the ageing Aliir should be a consideration.

RUCK

Jordon Sweet - number 1 but would love a bit more around the ground
Ivan Soldo - wanting to be traded
Dante Visentini - talented and waiting in the wings

We should be happy with our ruck situation. Once again, it could be better but we have rucks. I guess another developing ruck should be brought in.

I want Tredders to have a good look into our development coaching strategies for young players especially those over 193cm.
More of a drafting issue than anything. If those players go on to better careers elsewhere then we can be concerned about development. Guys like Howard and Austin were never going to be great players.

We got a real steal in Logan Evans.

We had a desperate need for ages to build a midfield. So Rozee went in. Now here we are with a supremely strong midfield and a weak forward line, dying for a dynamic small fwd. Whilst Rozee struggles in the midfield balance.

Feels like a small forward group of Rozee, Rioli, SPP, DBJ, would be pretty dangerous. Polish, speed, defence, toughness. Few different elements there.

Use a 1st round draft pick on a good mid and the midfield is set and we start drafting for future KPPs.

Leave JHF, Wines, Butters, Drew, and a draft pick to lead the midfield. Rotating in others at times.
Malthouse thinks we had too many ball winners in the midfield, or moreso the wrong mix (In the Prelim) and is why we failed. He's saying two max. So that might look like:

Wines, JHF and Butters but don't think we can have Rozee, JHF and Butters together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Perrybloke still mulling on shit ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Trying to work out how to spend all that money Collingwood are throwing at him.

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]" data-quote="Ford Fairlane" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Trying to work out how to spend all that money Collingwood are throwing at him.

I recon we’re still in it.

I recon we’re still in it.

Until he says no. we are. Surprising he hasn't called it yet though.

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]" data-quote="Ford Fairlane" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Until he says no. we are. Surprising he hasn't called it yet though.

Is why I bumped the thread, we’re obviously still making a play.

We need to strengthen the players around the 5-12 mark. Considerably. Perryman does that. If we have the salary cap to spend, we may as well throw it at him. You cant bank salary cap, so if all the reports that we have decent cap space are true, go for it. Will be very disappointed if we don’t get him, after working on him for years.

Last edited:
Is why I bumped the thread, we’re obviously still making a play.

The delay makes it feel like he still wants to come here but Collingwood are offering him more.

Now that I've said that he'll nominate Collingwood tomorrow.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back