Discussion LM Franchise Auction and Apologize

Remove this Banner Ad

Grandsun

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hi all,

I has been a tough 48 hours and I would like to just address everything that has occurred.

I understand that I crossed the line recolouring Spanna’s Alice Springs Pirates design but I stuggled for ideas. I then edited my entry in the limited time I had.

I reason I used the monogram is because I don’t know how people can make monograms. I really wanted one for my team so googled on images GFC and that monogram turned up which ended up being Andonis’.

Overall I would like to apologize to Spanna and Andonis for what has occurred and my rudeness of not even asking.

For me, I will take a few years break from designing until I have finished school as I start Year 10 tomorrow and would like to prioritise school as I strive to become a Sports Broadcaster and Commentator. I will return to bigfooty after the Summer Holidays.

Some of you may be wondering what will happen to Twenty20 Australia. It will still run and I have control to El Scorcho. He will decide if he would like to run it or get a volunteer to run it.

In this thread I would like to pass off the franchises that I have held over my 3 years on the board. The more newer teams will come with logos if the new owners requests as I still have them. However, the Greater Gippsland Bears logo will be passed on but will NOT INCLUDE A MONOGRAM.

Once I have approved the change of owner to the new bidder, they have full rights to the name, logo, colours etc.

NAFLR

Burnie Heat (Red/Green)

Gippsland Stars (Green/Gold)

Greater Gippsland Bears (Navy/Gold)

T20A

Gold Coast Knight Riders (Purple/Gold)

East Gippsland Hawks (Navy/Teal)

FIRA

Berlin Royal (Navy/Lime)

AAB

Southern Lakers (Navy/Royal)

CCRC

Suva Warriors (Black/White/Sky)

CAN-AM

Hawaii Force (Red/Gold)

Orlando Lightning (Purple/Gold)

San Diego Lakers (Royal/Gold)

FLO

Sunshine Coast United (Navy/Gold)

PLEASE NOTE, NOT ALL BIDDERS WILL RECIEVE A TEAM ALTHOUGH I WILL TRY TO MAKE SURE THAT IT IS EVEN. BIDDERS THAT BID IN THE INCORRECT FORMAT WILL BE INELIGABLE TO WIN THE TEAM UNLESS THE FORMAT IS CHANGED
WINNING BIDDERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED TOMORROW NIGHT.

Thank you for your understanding and good luck for the future.

To bid for one of the franchises please complete the following below

User Name: NAME123
Team: TEAM NAME
Why Should I Recieve the team?: EXPLANATION

Last edited:

Hey Grandsun, follow your dream to become a commentator like your hero Basil Zempilas. All it takes is practice. For example, open the voice recorder app on your phone and then watch a YouTube clip of a great AFL moment but mute the video so you can commentate and then replay your commentary over the muted video and see how you sound and then work from there. Listen to Bruce and try to imitate him. Listen to BT and do the same. Test yourself out. Understand the vocal changes, understand when to get excited and when to use stats. You can do it man. Make your dream come true dude you just gotta work on it.

I'm glad you've come back to address this Lynton. I suggest you stick around because there's a lot you can learn here - not just about designing but there's a good group of guys here and you'll learn a thing or two about life too. As far as using other people's work goes, please understand that this is not limited to this board - everywhere you go you will be asked to use other people's thoughts and ideas to support your own and it is imperative that you acknowledge when a thought or idea is not your own. That's not to say that you can't use them but there is an etiquette that you would do well to learn. There is also great value to developing your own work.

NAFLR was not the first time this occurred which I suspect is why a few members were frustrated. Personally, I hope you stick around and work on these issues rather than run from them. Your studies are very important and should be priority number one for you but you've shown some promise as a designer and the skills you learn here, be it designing, how to interact with people or any number of other life lessons, will help you in other areas of your life.

I leave you with a snapshot of my time here (18 months). In that time I have designed, sought feedback, studied other designs, researched, practiced and made mistakes. You won't be designing footy jumpers on FJGD for the next 50 years but you have a chance to do something bigger here - to create work that is truly your own and earn back the respect of everyone here. The ability to bounce back from mistakes, earn respect and forgive when others mistakes are tools that you find valuable throughout your journey in life.

Stick around mate and show us what you've got!

First ever BF submission:
am4jAjS.png

First competition entry:

rbwyCAb.png

Latest competition entry:
PHgozEb.png

I'm glad you've come back to address this Lynton. I suggest you stick around because there's a lot you can learn here - not just about designing but there's a good group of guys here and you'll learn a thing or two about life too. As far as using other people's work goes, please understand that this is not limited to this board - everywhere you go you will be asked to use other people's thoughts and ideas to support your own and it is imperative that you acknowledge when a thought or idea is not your own. That's not to say that you can't use them but there is an etiquette that you would do well to learn. There is also great value to developing your own work.

NAFLR was not the first time this occurred which I suspect is why a few members were frustrated. Personally, I hope you stick around and work on these issues rather than run from them. Your studies are very important and should be priority number one for you but you've shown some promise as a designer and the skills you learn here, be it designing, how to interact with people or any number of other life lessons, will help you in other areas of your life.

I leave you with a snapshot of my time here (18 months). In that time I have designed, sought feedback, studied other designs, researched, practiced and made mistakes. You won't be designing footy jumpers on FJGD for the next 50 years but you have a chance to do something bigger here - to create work that is truly your own and earn back the respect of everyone here. The ability to bounce back from mistakes, earn respect and forgive when others mistakes are tools that you find valuable throughout your journey in life.

Stick around mate and show us what you've got!

First ever BF submission:
am4jAjS.png

First competition entry:

rbwyCAb.png

Latest competition entry:
PHgozEb.png
Thank you for your support. You have continued to encourage me for a long time. Thank you. I must say the thing that is hard for me is the ability to find good templates to use. Particularly in soccer/rugby and cricket. People may say to make my own but the honest truth is that I don't have the time.

Thank you for apologising. I'm glad you at least made an effort to understand what you did was morally wrong and hopefully you've now learnt that plagiarism doesn't come without consequences.

However saying that, over the past few years you have came a long way with your designing, making significant improvement and I don't see why that has to cease because of an infraction like this. As long as you now understand that what you did was not on, we can all move on, and you can continue growing and evolving as a designer.

Thank you for your support. You have continued to encourage me for a long time. Thank you. I must say the thing that is hard for me is the ability to find good templates to use. Particularly in soccer/rugby and cricket. People may say to make my own but the honest truth is that I don't have the time.
I have six kids, work four days a week, run a 200-member soccer club and I study part-time. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither were my designing skills... and I'm still a junior here! To paraphrase El Scorcho when he revived the Logo of the Week competition, it's not about the outcome, it's about the process. By creating your own work you learn how to use the tools in front of you, you get faster at using those tools and eventually, you're able to produce better quality work in shorter amounts of time. For shits and giggles, I started my FIRA entry this week and I've pretty much finished it because I've been able to produce what is in my head so much faster than I could when I first started using Illustrator.

Just stick with it. I've had people in my corner helping and encouraging me and I'll be more than happy to help you on your designing journey, as would everyone else providing you work towards creating your own designs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like others have said good on you for coming here admitting fault and apologizing. Practice will pay off eventually, Ive been at it on and off for years now and I only just worked out not that long ago how vectors and clipping masks and all that jazz worked in PS.
I wouldnt like to see you give up something you obviously love because of this but maybe if you find yourself with some free time like in school holidays or on a weekend jump on here see if theres a 'What If' or 'If Its Broke Fix It' comp running and chuck an entry in.

There's improvement there in two years. Looking at the two designs below, however, there hasn't been much evolution in your designs. The template gets built over time but each competition requires a fresh identity or a fresh take on the previous year's entry.
439985_ea59b2679b8f0259cae6c7b15f8a0452.png

Hi5YB4A.png

There's improvement there in two years. Looking at the two designs below, however, there hasn't been much evolution in your designs. The template gets built over time but each competition requires a fresh identity or a fresh take on the previous year's entry.
439985_ea59b2679b8f0259cae6c7b15f8a0452.png

Hi5YB4A.png
I must admit all my design have been BASIC

I must admit all my design have been BASIC
They aren't that far away from being solid NAFL ressies designs though, you just need ask yourself "but what if I did this?" Every time you think you are done. (command+Z is your friend ;))

I must say the thing that is hard for me is the ability to find good templates to use. Particularly in soccer/rugby and cricket. People may say to make my own but the honest truth is that I don't have the time.
Summer holidays are coming up, that's one advantage of being still in High School. You're not going to create something like a YI on your first crack.
You and I were working on that short sleeve template a few months back and it was going places! Perhaps you could go back to that look at making a version w/ pants for cricket and a version with shorts and socks for rugby/soccer. It would be your own personal template with your own style that could be evolved with time just as Barrybran and I have done with our footy ones.

If it helps, my cricket and gaelic templates aren't nearly as good as my AFL one... but I did rebuild it from scratch faster than it took me to build my original AFL template!

They aren't that far away from being solid NAFL ressies designs though, you just need ask yourself "but what if I did this?" Every time you think you are done. (command+Z is your friend ;))

Summer holidays are coming up, that's one advantage of being still in High School. You're not going to create something like a YI on your first crack.
You and I were working on that short sleeve template a few months back and it was going places! Perhaps you could go back to that look at making a version w/ pants for cricket and a version with shorts and socks for rugby/soccer. It would be your own personal template with your own style that could be evolved with time just as Barrybran and I have done with our footy ones.
Yeh since Ive been back designing Ive tinkered a bit with the footy guernsey and shorts templates to make them a bit more 80's/early 90's to fit in a bit more with a project Im putting together. Its all trial and error. I was happy to start with but then I saw someone else's template (Fizzler I think) and wasnt happy with what Id done so I tried again. Ive also put updated manufacture collars on my PS template in the past.

Thanks for apologising man. It did really grind my gears, but no hard feelings and hope we can all move on. You just need to research where you get your images from, and there won't be any more incidents like this.

You've improved quite a bit since being on this forum so I would have expected you to design a much better monogram than my shitty 2014 Geelong monogram anyway!

Anyway, good luck to all your future endeavours :thumbsu:

The worst thing about using someone else's logo for a hobbyist competition like this isn't even the lack of credit to or permission from the content creator.

It's that every time you use someone else's design, you throw away the opportunity to practice, to learn, and to create something of your own you can be proud of.

Just an FYI for people bidding for teams on this thread.

Owning the name/colours/logo for a Can-Am based team does not guarantee entry into the Can-Am competition even if the team has competed before. All teams owned by LM are classified as being his and any new owner of these clubs will need to reapply for entry. Also should an owner already have a team and wish to rebrand to one of these teams they will also have to apply for relocation as it will not be given automatically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion LM Franchise Auction and Apologize

Remove this Banner Ad

Back