Lol

Remove this Banner Ad

GH_

Draftee
Jul 4, 2002
Other Teams
Sydney
10,000 tickets being given away to kiwi fans at the warriors game, another 10,000 given away if they get taken. a free ticket for every $20 at peter wynn's. theyd do anything to get a decent crowd to a prelim

Originally posted by GH_
10,000 tickets being given away to kiwi fans at the warriors game, another 10,000 given away if they get taken. a free ticket for every $20 at peter wynn's. theyd do anything to get a decent crowd to a prelim

The Warriors major sponsor has BROUGHT 10,000 tickets for kiwis in Sydney, the owner of the Warriors intends to match that.

Vodafone wants to improve their battered reputation in New Zealand obviously.

Originally posted by GH_

DH........good to see you are taking an interest in what's happening at rugby league level ;) ;) :confused:

Good point Ms Storm.

But I was only replying to brag about how good our sponsors/owners are.

Free tickets are not my style, I believe in the teachings of the Beige Brigade, a real fan supports their team by ALWAYS paying their own way and expects, nor accepts free lunches.

That said it says alot about Australia when a man can not give away 10,000 free tickets.

Player

Originally posted by Player
Good point Ms Storm.

Free tickets are not my style, I believe in the teachings of the Beige Brigade, a real fan supports their team by ALWAYS paying their own way and expects, nor accepts free lunches.

That said it says alot about Australia when a man can not give away 10,000 free tickets.

I do agree on your point about the tickets, but at least they weren't given away and were actually paid for...so that's one consolation.

I can see both points of view on this.....the other being that NZealanders being mainly rugby union orientated, may, with a bit of encouragement (free tickets this time) be encouraged to have a look a rugby league too and embrace the Warriors.
This is only good for the game, both here in Aust. and also in NZealand......it would love to see both codes really successful......(no problems with Union in NZ I guess:D )

Many Storm members have contacted Storm Admin. (Ribot and Johns) during the year and suggested some free tickets being given away to Storm games this year because the live broadcasts of Storm games every week, had been detrimental to the attendance........but both Ribot and Johns don't believe in doing this as in their opinion, it lowers people's opinion of rugby league in Melb. He made one concession, however, was the last home game.....afl club supporters could go to Storm games at virtually half price......but it was done too late in the week to have a big effect.

Anyways, it was great to see a big crowd at today's game, and hopefully, many will return to support league in the future.
One has to start somewhere I guess.

I would love Vodafone to give some tickets away to Melbournians to go and watch the Storm.....and would never knock it back to encourage people to watch League.

Originally posted by Player
Good point Ms Storm.

Don't worry about all that Player old son all you need to know is that the Roosters are gonna stuff ya(good isn't it the roosters doing the stuffing for once:D ) htere's no way when psuh comes to shove that the Aussies are gonna let your lot walk away with the trophy.

I don't think the Warriors have done as much for the local game as they should have. They give an excellent shop window for the code but the problem I have for the team is they are a television product who don't go out of their way to promote the game (as opposed to promoting themselves).

They turned their back on the Auckland Rugby League, turned their back on Carlaw Park, I think in their entire history they have contributed the grand total of $50,000 to the local game.

(In part their success is built on ignoring the worst of local league, not the game itself but that 'underclass' segment that would alienate middle New Zealand)

Before the Warriors League had a vibrant local scene, several strong competitions including a televised provincial competition, a strong love-hate relationship with union, and the ever popular showpiece Australia/New Zealand tests.

Renaming themselves the New Zealand Warriors (and changing to a black jersey) has lessened the prestige of the Kiwis, let alone having the core of the kiwis playing for the one club.

According to a recent article I read player numbers are down 31% in the last five years. Grass roots RL is really hurting.

Much of this is no doubt the fault of increased professionalism/changing values in society, and the Warriors make it easy for a league fan to 'support' the code by watching one game a week on television.

Still it is now possible to make a good living playing the game in New Zealand (and few local sports can make that claim), facilities are good and improving, they generate excellent sponsorship, and give the game a good television profile.

The players themselves have a great love of the game, which they love to share with the fans, and the club does make it possible to support rugby league in a friendly environment.

Next year they will average 15,000 fans easy, probably closer to 17,000.

BTW it was Vodafone New Zealand that brought the tickets, we all know that Vodafone Australia has a different approach to sports marketing.

The Warriors, It's a matter of faith.

Nicho.....

Originally posted by nicko18
ribot going something for the fans???? ha!!

poor storm, i worry about their long term prospects with a guy like this at the helm

Well he did believe it or not!!

You never know, perhaps growing older, he has mellowed and he has admitted that SuperLeague was a mistake, but the original concept was a good one if it worked.

Nicho
John Ribot has looked after the Storm fans quite well ....sure made a few mistakes, but overall I am fairly happy with him at the helm.
Having said that though, he is a slow learner, and some changes to need to be made by him for Melb. to be successful long term..and By the NRL too!:D

Player

Its quite ironical what you said about the Warriors, because a lot of people say that about the Storm....promoting themselves and not league.....which is not really true.

Teams like the Storm, Warriors, Canberra do have to promote themselves in a very competitive market.....with success comes more supporters to the code.....so essentially that is the most important thing......from there, a big effort should be made by both the Warriors, Storm, etc. once established, to look after the kids wanting to play rugby league, but the NRL is the overseer of this code and support and finances should come from them as well.

The Storm are probably in a more precarious position, and even though this is a big City, we do have 9 afl teams here, who are after the corporate dollars also..and not being a rugby state, its even harder for them......because of the pathetic way they are treated by the press and media here.

I had one such confrontation on radio yesterday...;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back