Manuka Oval Upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty good outcome, private investors would only be interested in making money back on the project hence the Hotel/Apartments.
Hope the WACA is listening, a development like this there would be fantastic and just what it needs.

Pretty good outcome, private investors would only be interested in making money back on the project hence the Hotel/Apartments.
Hope the WACA is listening, a development like this there would be fantastic and just what it needs.

It all sounds pretty good. A great prospect for all sports in the city. What would it take the capacity to? It must be up towards the 20k mark?

Excellent idea I just hope they make it big enough. Probably will be the Giants home when they relocate

Canberra is unlucky in that it needs an oval and rectangular stadium, but they never really function well. And yet because there are only 10 events at each, at most, each season, any acceptably sized arena will look stingy. Oh no.

Canberra is unlucky in that it needs an oval and rectangular stadium, but they never really function well. And yet because there are only 10 events at each, at most, each season, any acceptably sized arena will look stingy. Oh no.
Given the lack of events it hosts the rectangle stadium they do have isn't terrible, food stands I remember taking ages to get anything from and it's ****ing cold for a night game in the middle of winter.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...evelopment-plan-unveiled-20160216-gmvd95.html

Been a while since a stadium redevelopment was privately funded. Though a cynic could argue the stadium upgrade is merely the cost of being allowed to build high-rise apartments...
I don't know that that's a cynical take rather than literally just accurate. It's prime centrally located Territory land they want to alienate from either direct government control or community-purpose leasehold and build on.

700m of the 800m proposal is the hotel/flats/club development outside the stadium upgrade itself. The stadium share is just the inducement.

The ACT govt has form with this - allowing the Brumbies and Raiders to convert concessional leasehold (the Brumbies with their land at Griffith and the Raiders likely at the Braddon Club) into money-spinning assets to help those clubs. No reason they won't look long and hard at the same thing here by spinning off a chunk of the Oval's land for private development.

The proposal is pretty interesting, but I hope the ACT govt tries to wring more stadium capacity, parking and a light rail contribution out of Grocon if they're really keen to build this.

Last edited:
It sounds like a bit of a no brainer for the ACT Government, but I suppose it depends on the new capacity, parking and traffic to and from Manuka. Manuka is one of the more expensive inner south suburbs so I'm sure there would be some groups against this development. Still, if the capacity climbs to 25,000+ I think it would be great, and perhaps increase our chances of getting a BBL team.

There has also been some talk about the possibility of City Centre 'rectangular' stadium being fast tracked following a similar model to Manuka. A new 25,000 seat stadium where the current city pool is located could be completed by 2022 instead of 2025.

I just like the excitement and drama of it all. Move em to Canberra just for somethin to do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes you're right but that's where the greater comes in to cover their arses, have they got anyone from Sydney on their list? Got a few from the Canberra to the border region.

The ACT is not in Greater anything. Its just a word made up by the suits in Melbourne to try & encompass an area they obviously know SFA about.

I think it is an insult to the ACT.

It's not the 'Greater' in the name that is an issue here in Canberra it's the name 'Sydney' that is the issue. The Greater Canberra region will never embrace a club with Sydney in the title and I'm not entirely convinced that the people of Canberra would except a failed team relocating to our great little city, especially one with no history and debatable local support. Perhaps if one of the Melbourne teams relocated they could generate some support, but not GWS. The vast majority of Canberrans who are members of GWS are only doing so to see a few games of AFL and follow the opposition, especially if the opposition is the actual club they support.

I'm pretty certain something similar is happening in Hobart, most of the Tassie based North Melbourne members are not actually North Melbourne supporters.

The ACT is not in Greater anything. Its just a word made up by the suits in Melbourne to try & encompass an area they obviously know SFA about.

It's not the 'Greater' in the name that is an issue here in Canberra it's the name 'Sydney' that is the issue. The Greater Canberra region will never embrace a club with Sydney in the title and I'm not entirely convinced that the people of Canberra would except a failed team relocating to our great little city, especially one with no history and debatable local support. Perhaps if one of the Melbourne teams relocated they could generate some support, but not GWS. The vast majority of Canberrans who are members of GWS are only doing so to see a few games of AFL and follow the opposition, especially if the opposition is the actual club they support.

I'm pretty certain something similar is happening in Hobart, most of the Tassie based North Melbourne members are not actually North Melbourne supporters.

Guys I'll take on board your greater wisdom on the issue. Will be interesting to see how all pans out. :cool:

So in a couple of years the Giants have managed to do what it has taken Victorian clubs a century to do and that is build a strong second home base, North, Hawthorn have them and the saints and Bulldogs are looking or have already sold games interstate or O/S

So in a couple of years the Giants have managed to do what it has taken Victorian clubs a century to do and that is build a strong second home base, North, Hawthorn have them and the saints and Bulldogs are looking or have already sold games interstate or O/S
Canberra is hardly a strong second 'home' base. They get a few thousand members from there (nothing to be shirked at, given the totals for the Giants) but it's hardly a fanbase that's devoted to the team. Canberra has a decent AFL following, but the Giants would be a 2nd or 3rd team to a lot of people.

Setting up a strong home base in WS should be their number one priority anyway. They're far from sustainable, re supporter numbers, there at the moment.

Canberra is hardly a strong second 'home' base. They get a few thousand members from there (nothing to be shirked at, given the totals for the Giants) but it's hardly a fanbase that's devoted to the team. Canberra has a decent AFL following, but the Giants would be a 2nd or 3rd team to a lot of people.

Setting up a strong home base in WS should be their number one priority anyway. They're far from sustainable, re supporter numbers, there at the moment.
That might change, but for now it is true. People (mostly Vic, SA, Tas born) get Giants membership to get access to AFL games, not because they are Giants fans. The current generation of kids might grow up as Giants fans though, simply because that is the team they are exposed to. It could work out in much the same way that hawthorn (which dominated Launceston before anyway) has increased their base in northern Tasmania - but it is a very long way to go before that is seen, and even when it is most will be Raiders/Brumbies fans more than GWS ones.

The kiddies, it is all about the kiddies, whilst the big Melbourne 4 are the biggest supported teams, times change, to use a analogy and TBH it is not exact, when the Canberra Raiders started, most fans barracked for a Sydney NSWRL team, their second team was the Raiders, however the "kiddies " ....

I'm wondering who you're referring to with these 'Melbourne suits' ... Would that be the West Australian Chairman, or the South Australian CEO?

GWS wont relocate...but that doesn't mean they wont play more games in Canberra and potentially make it an 'even split'.

Probably hard and expensive, but Canberra really needs just one multipurpose/fit for all sports stadium. Difficult to do I know with both oval and rectangular sports - could you build the seats higher for oval and put seats in front to make it near rectangular? Not sure, but one really good stadium to show off Canberra rather than two half there stadiums would be ideal.

Probably hard and expensive, but Canberra really needs just one multipurpose/fit for all sports stadium. Difficult to do I know with both oval and rectangular sports - could you build the seats higher for oval and put seats in front to make it near rectangular? Not sure, but one really good stadium to show off Canberra rather than two half there stadiums would be ideal.

I want two stadiums, a rectangular one for the Raiders and Brumbies that I will only ever go to when Parramatta and Waratahs come and an Oval stadium for AFL and Cricket. Just because we are a city of only 400,000 doesn't mean we don't deserve to have the same facilities that the larger cities have.

I'm wondering who you're referring to with these 'Melbourne suits' ... Would that be the West Australian Chairman, or the South Australian CEO?

GWS wont relocate...but that doesn't mean they wont play more games in Canberra and potentially make it an 'even split'.

You really are becoming a very paranoid Vic aren't you!

READ WHAT I WROTE. I wrote 'Suits In Melbourne' ie thats where the AFL is based.

You quoted 'Melbourne suits' Why did you write that.? To start some interstate spat? What is your problem? Paranoia? Dyslexia? What?

Remove this Banner Ad

Manuka Oval Upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back