Delisted Mark Jamar

Remove this Banner Ad

Round: 11

Stats: 12 disposals (4 kicks, 8 handballs) at 75% efficiency, 31 hitouts, 4 marks (3 uncontested and 1 contested ripper), 2 frees for and 2 frees against, 2 clearances and 1 inside 50.

My Thoughts: The big Russian was absolutely dominant in the ruck with his 31 hitouts to Fraser's 10 and Collingwood's entire hitout count of 17. The extended time out of the game I think has allowed Jamar to work on his fitness and has become a lot more mobile and athletic in my opinion, he's obviously no Dean Cox but he has definitely improved his game immensely and is without a doubt our best ruckman. He's getting more of the ball as well with 12 disposals against the Pies on Monday, 7 of those possessions were contested and he used the ball relatively well with a disposal efficiency of 75%. Believe or not, Jamar is one of our smartest players, he is one of the very few who know his limitations and because of this he goes by hand every time he has the ball unless he has no other choice but to kick the ball and even then I think he's improved his kicking a bit as well. His contested mark was an absolute ripper for the big man, if someone can help him with his set shot kicking then he could become a lot more versatile and play a bigger role up forward as well when resting from the ruck.

Rating/10: 7/10

Does he keep his spot?: Without a doubt, ever since he came back into the side he has done a magnificent job in the ruck and improved a hell of a lot around the ground. Unless he goes AWOL over the next part of the season, he has saved his career in my opinion. If we did end up delisting a ruckman at the end of the season, PJ better start praying he improves out of sight over the next half of the season.

Probably the best two games ive seen Jamar play, looking at his career stats and only once before has he strung togther 2 or more games of 10 plus possessions (other time was round 14-16 last yr). He seems to be finding more of the footy around the ground which is what he needs to do, and good to see he hasn't lost his ability to take a hanger either!

i didn't see the St. Kilda game, but the Russian appears to have improved many areas of his game. As you mentioned Dez, his kicking and his mobility.

I don't think I've ever seen him move as well as he did last week, and he had more confidence in his kicking, and was able to kick targets, rather than just kicking long to a contest like he usually does. Would really like to see him push forward, is a great grab and could be dangerous dropping into the forward line...

A bit like Colin Sylvia, it is nice to see someone hopefully starting to realise more fully the glimpses of promise they have shown in the past. As said, his ground work effort is now starting to match his ruckwork. He's still not the quickest thinker as witnessed last round when he found himself alone in the ruck and still tried to palm the ball rather than take it out of the air and handball it off but with he, Meesen and Spencer on the list, I'm more confident of having a competent rucking outfit.

Round 14

Melbourne v West Coast Eagles
2:10pm Sat Jul 4 MCG

Jamar had another good game against WCE and their young ruckman NicNat. To say he dealt with a youngster in his 2nd or 3rd game is not really pertinent but the way he did it was once again purposefull. It's quite easy to see that the Russian is really thinking about his impact in the side and the way he plays. He used his body to perfection in the rucking duels. 1 kick isn't a high accolade but given that it ended up being a goal is. 7 touches is nothing to write home about, 29 hitouts pretty much says he did his job in the ruck. He is keeping up the tenacity with 5 tackles though and that is a good sign.

7.5/10 (would have been an 8 earlier this year but perhaps he is raising expectations a little now).:thumbsu:

The stats:

K 1 H 6 D 7 M 4 HO 29 FF 1 FA 1 T 5 G 1 B 0

Round 1 vs Hawthorn

11 Disposals, 27 Hitouts, 3 Tackles, 1 Goal.

All round not a bad start to the year I guess. Against poor opposition ruck stocks perhaps more of his taps could have been effective but he easily won the taps on the day. Similar to Jolly this weekend perhaps a little off with the radar. Still tried hard and seemed a legitimate forward target at times. At one point I was wondering if we would ever kick a goal so given Jamar slotted our first after a pretty decent grab it automatically upgrades his game from a 6.5 to a 7 out of 10. Will need some decent support as the season goes on though given he'll now be expected to regularly contribute to our poverty stricken score lines.

Round 2 vs Collingwood

14 Disposals, 36 Hitouts, 3 Tackles, 4 Frees for.

Jamar was one of the driving factors behind our win against the filth. With Newton as back up they amassed 38 taps between them. Jolly and the other guy put up the best they had but Jamar's dominance at times had the filth pair frustrated and the 4 frees for reflect this. Jamar was virtually a 1 man show at the stopages and soundly beat his foe. He kept with the tempo of the game and maintained his intensity. How long we can play him like this is anyone's guess but it was a fantastic effort. 36 taps a walk in the park and they were mostly effective with our mids getting a lot of it. He is underrated as a ruckman and that is the way we like it.

8.5/10

Gee you gotta love the russian.
Ever since that game against west coast last year where he dominated NICNAT he hasnt looked back. He is looking like an a grade ruckmen and i dont think peole are appreciating how much impact he has had to the dees winning majority of the clearances.
Not only that but i love how we can rely on him to take a pack mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun - Long way to the top for Mark Jamar (Jon Ralph) June 26 2010

MARK Jamar used to be a coach killer. If his prolonged absences through injury didn't drive his coaches to distraction, his inconsistency certainly did.
Nine seasons for 73 mostly mediocre games had his career parked in neutral, sitting at the crossroads.

A dozen matches into this season, Jamar is still a career-killer, but the vanquished are now his opponents. So thoroughly and publicly did he demolish Josh Fraser in Round 12 that the Pies ruckman has been dumped, with no known return date.

Jamar is not just in the form of his career, he is pushing Fremantle's Aaron Sandilands for an All-Australian ruck position. And, in the process, he is highlighting what a bumper haul the 2002 rookie draft delivered.

471464-mark-jamar.jpg

source: herald sun

One of the surprise packets of the year. He went from injury prone fringe player to the second best ruckman in the AFL. 3rd in the B&F and has a real chance to be selected in the AA team, fantastic year. 9\10

MFC Website: Jamar hanging tough

The ruckman added that the review from last round had been “intense, thorough and really honest”.

“As a club, we’ve been that way since Mark [Neeld] took over and it will continue to be that way. So it’s all about identifying what we have to work on and get in our game and what we have to get out of our game,” he said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back