Mark Williams and Ben McGlynn asked to be traded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probs knew his role was a KPP before Franklin, and thinks he has enough time to regain that position elswhere, at Essendon.

Not convinced Williams put his hand up to be traded.

The fact is we needed to offload player(s) to get the Burgoyne deal completed.

If the Williams deal was mentioned earlier in the week, I might have believed it, but it is just too coincidental that it coincided with the stalemate between the Hawks and the Power.

Hawthorn have been using him as trade bait since the end of 2007 season.

Although we got ourselves an extra gem in the midfield, we have lost a creative player who could make goals out of nothing!

Not convinced Williams put his hand up to be traded.

The fact is we needed to offload player(s) to get the Burgoyne deal completed.

If the Williams deal was mentioned earlier in the week, I might have believed it, but it is just too coincidental that it coincided with the stalemate between the Hawks and the Power.

Hawthorn have been using him as trade bait since the end of 2007 season.

Although we got ourselves an extra gem in the midfield, we have lost a creative player who could make goals out of nothing!

It came from Nights mouth him self that he had been after Willo for a while and that they chased him and Willo had been keen on moving there for a while.

Of course Mark Williams had to ask for a trade! He knew the massive unit Beau Dowler is going to take his role as the straight kicking forward.

Dowler is a beast and going to win us at least two more premierships.

Bookmark it....

Note: Lots of love to Mark who has been a great clubman (and Premiership player).

Cyril can make goals out of nothing... it'd be nice to have everything... but sometimes you just can't.

No doubting thought - Cyril can make goals out of nothing
I did mention that our midfield will be better off! with Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne etc
However, I don't think Williams wanted out - who in their right mind would choose Essendon over Hwathorn.

I did mention that our midfield will be better off! with Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne etc
However, I don't think Williams wanted out - who in their right mind would choose Essendon over Hwathorn.

Beleive it, he had his sights on the bombers for a while,and they had their eyes on him for a while, nothing to do with the hawks doing, and Willo had another year left in his contract..
All 3 players left on their own accord and were not pushed...

This is the last I say on the matter.

Willo did NOT ask to be traded initially, his name along with a few others were thrown about to Port in order to get the Burygone deal done, when most if not all of the players whose names were put up said they wouldn't go to Port, Hawthorn looked to bring another club into the deal.

It was then Essendon who approached Willo and offered him a 3 year deal, Hawthorn told him they could not match it and would only offer him 1 year deals from now on.

I'm saddended that people question Willo's loyalty and character, he has turned down numerious offers from Essendon and Sydney in the past to remain a hawk for fewer years and less money. When he asks for Hawthorn to repay the favor with a contract extension they didn't come to the table.

The footy club were not loyal to Willo or any of the other players whose names they put on the table to get Burgyone to the club so why should the players be made to repay the club with loyalty?

No one here can seriously tell me if they were in Willo's position, with a history of injury, coming to the end of his career, being starved of opportunity and raising a young family that they would turn down a 3 year for a one year deal :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williams asked to be traded after being offered a 3 year deal at Essendon
Kennedy asked to be traded after being offered longer contract and more oppotunities at Sydney
McGlynn asked to be traded after knowing Burgoyne was coming as he saw limited game-time at Hawks. He also told Hawks if he wasn't traded he would walk into the pre-season draft!

Essendon chased Willo... offered him a 3 year contract... we couldn't match it... and hence he asked to be traded!!!

The Williams to Bombers trade has been on the cards 2 weeks before trade week started! Hence... we have known about a possible move for willo!

Its Not about his loyalty! i will not judge him on that... its about him providing for his family and making sure he does what is right for his two children! and if the dons can give him a longer contract then its understandable that he wanted to go there

In the end... good luck to willo! he has been a great servant to our club

but... YES HE ASKED TO BE TRADED AS HE WOULD GET A LONGER A CONTRACT FROM THE BOMBERS. IF THE PORT DEAL HADN'T GONE THROUGH, WILLIAMS STILL WOULD OF BEEN TRADED!!!

Stop making as if we did the wrong thing by Mark!

Beleive it, he had his sights on the bombers for a while,and they had their eyes on him for a while, nothing to do with the hawks doing, and Willo had another year left in his contract..
All 3 players left on their own accord and were not pushed...

Are you just making this up?

Are you just making this up?

I believe he is 100% speaking the truth.'

All were offered 3 year deals by the clubs, and all three wanted to jump ship. Kennedy being the most happy to stay, bu the club were being honest about his prospects.

yay all i care about is that he has said brown is loved and extremly valued and was never up for trade put a smile on my face.
we will miss you willo

Someone being offered a 3 year deal (probably for more money) & a walk up start to the best 22.

Now I firmly believe he was also in our best 22, but I think he could see the writting on the wall a few years ago with the big red machine & doctor love being the focal points, & maybe him slipping back with new players stepping up.

I don't blame him & wish him all the best (except against us....)

This is the last I say on the matter.

Willo did NOT ask to be traded initially, his name along with a few others were thrown about to Port in order to get the Burygone deal done, when most if not all of the players whose names were put up said they wouldn't go to Port, Hawthorn looked to bring another club into the deal.

It was then Essendon who approached Willo and offered him a 3 year deal, Hawthorn told him they could not match it and would only offer him 1 year deals from now on.

I'm saddended that people question Willo's loyalty and character, he has turned down numerious offers from Essendon and Sydney in the past to remain a hawk for fewer years and less money. When he asks for Hawthorn to repay the favor with a contract extension they didn't come to the table.

The footy club were not loyal to Willo or any of the other players whose names they put on the table to get Burgyone to the club so why should the players be made to repay the club with loyalty?

No one here can seriously tell me if they were in Willo's position, with a history of injury, coming to the end of his career, being starved of opportunity and raising a young family that they would turn down a 3 year for a one year deal :rolleyes:

Hello chris, who must be Willos brother if you know all this...

You are absolutely right. Your last paragraph sums it up.

Some of the earlier are wrong. Willo was offered on going contracts, & I'm sure if he had kept performing etc they would have been lucrative for him. I suspect the club knows a bit about his knee issues & were a bit cautious re long term contracts. So Willo has chosen long term security & a starting game every game. Good on him & I wish him the best. (again, except against us!)

And if any of the people bagging him for doing it get up your nose, **** em, they are morons.

Willo was a great servant for the Hawks & we will miss him. But at some stage you have to do what you think is right for yourself & family & this is what he has done. :thumbsu:

Willo asked to be traded!! He was sick of travelling from his place at Newport, to Waverley for training...The poor guy!, But make no mistake, he did ASK to be traded..
I dont really care what actually transpired. I met Willo when he first joined the club in Launceston and have always had a fondness for him, as he really is very shy. I wish you well Willo and know that you did our club proud while you were here. :thumbsu:

Someone being offered a 3 year deal (probably for more money) & a walk up start to the best 22.

Now I firmly believe he was also in our best 22, but I think he could see the writting on the wall a few years ago with the big red machine & doctor love being the focal points, & maybe him slipping back with new players stepping up.

I don't blame him & wish him all the best (except against us....)

Thanks Captain Obvious for those comments - however, I am getting a bit tired of supporters "happy" to see Williams accept Essendons offers.

Football is a business, and Hawthorn have done well out of the Burgoyne deal.
However, I don't like it when posters say Williams asked to be traded (questioning his loyalty to the club!), because it was not quite as black and white as that.

As already stated:
- Williams did not originally ask for a Trade.
- Williams was not pushed out of the club either, he saw better opportunities at Essendon

As a premiership player and nine year player, Williams deserves a bit more respect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back