jmac91

Perth Bandits Head Coach
Dec 27, 2017
Subiaco Oval
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Bandits
Mason Cox, no doubt has been one of the break out stars of the 2018 season but people have been hailing him like he is the next Jim Stynes. I personally think that he is way to overrated. The only way that he can score is marking the ball and kicking 30m out straight in front. Yes that game against Richmond was massive but, you can't be calling him the next big thing after only one good game.
I want to hear your thoughts on this. Is he Overrated or Underrated?

Now Watch him kick the winning goal against your mob in the GF this year from the boundary. The football gods have woken.

TBH he's had some great games like against the Dees on the Queens Birthday last year. He's showed some promising signs and he has ripped a few teams to shreds. Not quite at a consistent level yet but when you're a ruckmen/forward it's hard to always be prolific.

Port Adelaide1870 is spot on.

Mason Cox, no doubt has been one of the break out stars of the 2018 season but people have been hailing him like he is the next Jim Stynes. I personally think that he is way to overrated. The only way that he can score is marking the ball and kicking 30m out straight in front. Yes that game against Richmond was massive but, you can't be calling him the next big thing after only one good game.

the hype and focus from the media is over rated

his potential and current performances under rated by AFL supporters, in response to the media circus

Agree - pretty much the same assessment of every player these days.

Media - "Superstar"
Fans - "Overrated! Trash!"

Anyone who can effectively help in the ruck, kick about a goal a game and feature high in the league for contested marks is a handy player to any side.

I think his quieter games will start to feature a goal and maybe a few strong grabs and that he will finish with about 35 for the year.

David Hale kicked 37 goals in 22 games for North in 2008, something similar from Cox would be huge for Collingwood

Had some ripper games but they are the outlier rather than the norm. I would say if he can lift his worse games and raise his floor, hed be a much better player.

He is critical to structure though, makes a contest, excellent kick for goal but only within 40m, and his height demands a half decent KPD.

A handy player with the potential to be more than that, but not sure he will ever be a truly top line forward or ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is overrated purely because commentators lose their shit any time he gets near the ball

You have to remember he is different from any other league footballer we have ever seen.
Not even Sandilands could go forward and kick goals like a natural forward. Mason Cox is helping to pioneer the game.
In 50 years time, it could very well be the norm to have a 7 footer playing at CHF, especially if they are as athletic and agile as what Mason is.

You have to remember he is different from any other league footballer we have ever seen.
Not even Sandilands could go forward and kick goals like a natural forward. Mason Cox is helping to pioneer the game.
In 50 years time, it could very well be the norm to have a 7 footer playing at CHF, especially if they are as athletic and agile as what Mason is.
That's just evolution not because of Mason. Forwards are getting taller now 200cm not uncommon in the kids.

Had some ripper games but they are the outlier rather than the norm. I would say if he can lift his worse games and raise his floor, hed be a much better player.

He is critical to structure though, makes a contest, excellent kick for goal but only within 40m, and his height demands a half decent KPD.

A handy player with the potential to be more than that, but not sure he will ever be a truly top line forward or ruck.
Surprisingly balanced opinion.

I was also in the category of reliable kick for goal but after watching him recently I’d substitute reliable for direct. Kicks on a very straight line which gives the impression of reliability but he still shanks a fair few.

I personally think he is a god send for Collingwood one of the most impressive learners of the hardest game to adapt to on earth.

He has learnt from mistakes , he has learnt to hold marks, he knows where to go, he knows when to attempt mark to get the ball to the ground, he knows when he needs position to take a mark to score.
Any one who did not see his potential when he was brought in does not understand time and development.

For a big man he can move at times like a rover , he is ball smart, as a ruckman, well, sometimes it is wise to use him, but he is better around the ground very rarely does he lose a contest in the air , whether the mark is taken or the ball hits the floor.

He actually amazes me and I think Collingwood made a brilliant decision , because this man actually has honesty and determination inbuilt in him, and that is what every elite AFL footballer has to have. I believe that the 18 club comp has taken a bit away as to the good type , you may get in your club.

I congratulate Carringbush because they saw and went ahead, I have respect for them except when playing HAWTHORN, then I hate them, but I think they are just finding their feet after last years campaign , and there was some things last night they need to get organised, when that happens they'll be on their way.

Some skills last night and kicking wasn't that hot, but they know that.

I reckon he's rated about right. People know he's capable of some big games but we also know not to expect it every week.
Hype doesn't always equal being overrated. Sometimes players get hyped because they are exciting or interesting. That's why the game has cult heroes.

I reckon he's rated about right. People know he's capable of some big games but we also know not to expect it every week.
Hype doesn't always equal being overrated. Sometimes players get hyped because they are exciting or interesting. That's why the game has cult heroes.

Put it this way, if I was richmond I would be embarrassed with what he did to them in the prelim final last year.

Defenses have to respect him, which is a pretty good level to be at (considering he's come from nowhere, really) and means he's getting a game on merit rather than just being a curiosity and a gimmick.

No good if he doesn't mark it. Adds nothing, too much of a beanpole in the ruck. Stands the mark well though.
Disagree on the no good if he doesnt mark it comment. He brings the ball to ground because it is rare for him to be out marked. He is also quite good at tapping or palming down a kicked ball to advantage. We have probably kicked about half a dosen goals this year from him doing this and its no accident.
Disagree also on the 'adds nothing in the ruck comment'. He beats most second rucks comfortably. If fact I would say he is dominant over secondary ruckmen its just that Grundy takes 90% of the ruck minutes. So it doesnt show up as high numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mason Cox. Overrated or Underrated?

Back