Matchday - Sydney vs Essendon - ANZ Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

In defeat, it is easier to blame some one else for our loss.

***king umpires.

But really our own poor skills let us down. We failed to pass the ball accurately, we droped marks, missed handballs. Held the balll to long. We were slow and sluggish when we need to be deft & dexterous. We failed to kick goals when we should have nailed them. Interestingly in contrast to last week we fatigued earlier in the game.

After the 1st qrt, twas happy days, but by the 3rd it was nightmare on elm st.

The bombers rebirth has many hard yards ahead.

Isnt Hibberd injured ?

Hey guys i wouldn't be stressing to much, yeah its disappointing to lose & lose a close 1 at that, but hey look at some positives, we have hille & monfries most likely back next week, still got pears 2 come back in along with gumby at some stage, also got some valuable game time into big belly, no reported injuries out of this game & still a healthy %!

Everyone was saying this week would be our test to see if we could back up our great effort against the doggies, well i would say thats incorrect cause i think that after a close interstate loss that this weeks game against the saints is our test 2 see if we can keep our heads up & bounce back against another top 4 side from last year!!! So all bar the loss i think its a good position 2 be in!!

Yeah we can say that the umpiring was crap & they got some goals from easy or not there free kicks but the main point of our loss is the inconsistency, we continuously got out to a serviceable margin yet kept letting them back in with bad passages of play, so if you look at another positive that we lost by 5pts to sydney in sydney (1 of the best lock down teams when they start losing) with about only 50-60mins of good play!! Thats the main pro's & cons IMO!!

Time to get back on the winners list next week dons:thumbsu:

clearly a push in the back, should of been an essendon free kick and goal, umpires win the game for sydney again.

No push in the back ffs umpires win yet another game for Sydney it's a ****ing disgrace

What does Essendon arse taste like? I can understand Bombers supporters being very frustrated but two West Coast fans whinging like little bitches? Hilarious and embarrassing at the same time.

One game we let slip away.

Umpiring was meh but it was pretty bad on both sides.

Only real shocker was the game winning free against Hardingham. It was a disgraceful decision and in a tough close game was the difference.

Not fussed about the Stanton one. Sometimes they get paid, sometimes they don't. These are the ones you don't want paid and unfortunately the ump did the right thing. Would have loved for them to have paid it though.

Good game by our boys. Two good sides who will play finals.

Only real shocker was the game winning free against Hardingham. It was a disgraceful decision and in a tough close game was the difference.

Not fussed about the Stanton one. Sometimes they get paid, sometimes they don't. These are the ones you don't want paid and unfortunately the ump did the right thing. Would have loved for them to have paid it though.
Yeah agree, the Stanton one does sometimes get paid but dunno if it should be.

The Hardingham one... not enough naughty words in the world to describe it...

I hate whinging about umpires, but I have to get this off me chest.

You can argue the individual decisions, but it was the overall umpiring of the game which got me.

It just seemed we were walking on eggshells, the slightest wrong move on our part was a whistle. Then, it seemed like getting bloody out of a stone to get one our way.

Watched it at home with about 12-13 people - most Essendon fans granted, but we cant remember a game where we groaned so much. A terribly frustrating afternoon.

Not at decision in particular, but just whistle after whistle after whistle against us, and then not getting anything in return. The last 2 minutes just summed the game up.

The game just seemed umpired differently depending on the colour of the jumper.

end rant.

We should/could have won. We had our opportunities to blow that game wide open, yet we didnt. We gave them a chance to pinch it, and they did.

I was surprised when I saw the count at the start of the last - 33-16. (ended 36-18).

I didn't think they were bad all day, by any means. Not great early, pretty good through the 2nd/3rd and most of the 4th. Just that guess in the last minute...

I would guess that most of the frees to Sydney were from the ruck/centre square where they were first to it and most of those were there.

A few pretty soft jumper holds going towards Bolton. Goodes grabbing or pushing blokes off the ball = no free for virtually the same infringment. Irritating but nothing new:
They were looking after Bolton reasonably well and not necessarily our blokes; that's not the jumper, that's a function of him being an older and more well known (guys like Judd/Ablett/Watson do get the same treatment.)
Is that bad umpiring, yes; is it biased, yes; is it "fair" and paid both ways, yes. So I'm not necessarily complaining about it.

Our guys should have been smarter how they went about it. Figure out they're looking out for him and scrag every other prick.

We had our opportunities to blow that game wide open, yet we didnt. We gave them a chance to pinch it, and they did.

This is what gets me, if we'd dug deep in red time in the second and third and not conceded easy goals, we would have been 6-7 up heading into the forth and practically game over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my only gripe apart from the poor hardingham decision was the countless holding decisions paid around the stoppages - esp. the centre bounces.

completely effed the flow of the game and the decisions constantly seemed to go against us. aren't players allowed to jostle for position around a ball up anymore?

that said no need for panic stations - sydney played the game on their terms and we still only lost by 5 points. i'm sure we'll take a lot from that loss and with hille back next week i'm confident we can continue the saints' miserable run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchday - Sydney vs Essendon - ANZ Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back