Toast Mathew Stokes

Remove this Banner Ad

Travs really hit pay dirt at the Cattery, they like to give away free money!!!:D
Almost as good as McIntosh, he's yet to pull on a football boot in a senior, reserves, preseason or practice match.

Almost as good as McIntosh, he's yet to pull on a football boot in a senior, reserves, preseason or practice match.

Totally agree, hope Geelong supporters have deep pockets if they want to keep the likes of these two yet talk about a 560 possession gatherer and club leader being traded,....reckon they want the old dark ages to descend back on the GFC.
I'd be giving those two the flick well before any consideration of Matt Stokes who's a gunn midfielder.

How stupid to consider him a favorite when he sucks so much out and gives sweet diddly, since when did the GFC become a charity institution?
Do you get paid to stay home because the boss likes you??
No! so get over it! Stoksey stays coze he stays on the park, leads the club in disposals(easily) and is second to Jimmie in dream team points, that's how you gauge value!!!
Trade him for someone while we can.

Bahahahhahahahaa

Good effort criticising an injured player...and yes...my boss pays me when I'm sick....and when I played the club were covered by insurance for injured players....nonsensical post.....

and your TV trolling is pathetic.

PS: Gauge value by DT points ??? bahahahahahahaa.... honestly...comic genius meto.

What and keep paying TV 400K plus for nothing, trade the drop kick and get a regular contributor.
Is the GFC a TV charity?......we're a joke!
Yeah sure...our player development and drafting history over the last decade has made us a laughing stock with little or no success or future prospects!

TV is a match- winning player cruel led by injury. In fact he was drafted with a serious injury.
Calling us a joke is itself a joke!

Yeah sure...our player development and drafting history over the last decade has made us a laughing stock with little or no success or future prospects!

TV is a match- winning player cruel led by injury. In fact he was drafted with a serious injury.
Calling us a joke is itself a joke!

He's on top bucks..... that's what I'm pointing out, and his dollar cost per disposal rate would be top of the club, I'd be pretty certain of that!
What I said is, if we want more than one high draft pick we could try trading him out, he's a 8-15 possession player at best who's now also injury prone.

He's on top bucks..... that's what I'm pointing out, and his dollar cost per disposal rate would be top of the club, I'd be pretty certain of that!
What I said is, if we want more than one high draft pick we could try trading him out, he's a 8-15 possession player at best who's now also injury prone.

an extraordinary post. He is coming in to the prime of his carer and you want to move him along.

He got absolutely smashed flush on he shoulder. Impact injury that could have hurt anyone. Prior to that he was in stellar form and looking very dangerous. Also the club is not known for paying overs. If they think he's worth it, I'll back their judgement. AFL clubs negotiate contracts based on the here and now. Look how we played hard ball with Chappy. If TV is not worth it when his contract comes around again he'll be offered a cut.
But I guarantee you this...if we trade him out we WILL live to regret it.
Basically this s an injury troll.

Meto do you rate player on possesion numbers? Im sure we would like him to have a 30 p game but if he can give me 3 goals and 15 in a GF , I'll take that.

But as you say trade. Who do we picks with the pick we get? And why are we talking Varcoe on a Stokes thread?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meto do you rate player on possesion numbers? Im sure we would like him to have a 30 p game but if he can give me 3 goals and 15 in a GF , I'll take that.

But as you say trade. Who do we picks with the pick we get? And why are we talking Varcoe on a Stokes thread?

The raw emotion surrounding this guy is seriously quite ridiculous,.....you said "give me 3goals and 15 in a grand final I'll take that", you lot keep pointing to single efforts that are hardly record breaking going back years ago, like the Buddy tackle.
The obsession is insane,....we had a Geelong bloke ring SEN the other day to tell Balmey just how great Varcoe iso_Oand he shouldn't be forgettin that!!

Fact is Turbo, if he gets 10 possessions and kicks 1goal which is more like it, "you'd still take that" and talk of him as an MVP at the club, in our best 6 players if not top 4.

Why am I talking Varcoe on a Stokes thread?...because of your post 272 remember? The "there's plenty of talent coming through so why not trade Stokes",.....I'll tell you,... there's 563 possession reasons why not already this year, but you'd arc up when I say put Mr 10 a game on the table:eek:

We don't need down hill skiers like him, personally can't wait till he's back to prove my point.
Stokes on the other hand is leading the way!:thumbsu:

If you Analise Varco's role in the side as opposed to his raw numbers you get two totally different result as to his worth,at least I do. The numbers don't always tell the true story

I understand what you're getting at, and that's alright to a degree, but on the back of a couple of little cameos I wouldn't buy into that to deeply.
It's just all to few and generally quite a bit less than what the others are doing, anyhow to compare is worth to the team in 2013 to that of Stoksey is like comparing chalk and cheese.

I understand what you're getting at, and that's alright to a degree, but on the back of a couple of little cameos I wouldn't buy into that to deeply.
It's just all to few and generally quite a bit less than what the others are doing, anyhow to compare is worth to the team in 2013 to that of Stoksey is like comparing chalk and cheese.

I don't want to get into this too deep, but I really don't understand how both you and YPO can be so critical of Varcoe. You are both entitled to your opinion, but I very much disagree with it. His impact cannot be measured in stats alone.
I will however agree that this year Stokes has been a colossus for us, and that any comparisons between the two made at this point are moot anyway due to Varcoe not being able to get on the park...I just think Varcoe's value to the team is as substantial, but for different reasons.

Stokes has had a great year but no surprise here I've always been a fan,his 2012 was disappointing and to me that was the surprise.
Back to Varcoe forget the little cameos they're the icing on the cake,to me when Varco's on the job he moves through the lines both ways all day with the ball and more importantly with out it as well,it allows you to play that extra in defense with out necessarily being one short else where as he moves to create, pressures the lose man or simply fill a hole,as you rightly say he doesn't get heaps of the ball and we would all like to see those numbers increase over time and I expect they will,but to me he is an impotent part in us being able to play the game on our terms and that's his value right now.

The raw emotion surrounding this guy is seriously quite ridiculous,.....you said "give me 3goals and 15 in a grand final I'll take that", you lot keep pointing to single efforts that are hardly record breaking going back years ago, like the Buddy tackle.
The obsession is insane,....we had a Geelong bloke ring SEN the other day to tell Balmey just how great Varcoe iso_Oand he shouldn't be forgettin that!!

Fact is Turbo, if he gets 10 possessions and kicks 1goal which is more like it, "you'd still take that" and talk of him as an MVP at the club, in our best 6 players if not top 4.

Why am I talking Varcoe on a Stokes thread?...because of your post 272 remember? The "there's plenty of talent coming through so why not trade Stokes",.....I'll tell you,... there's 563 possession reasons why not already this year, but you'd arc up when I say put Mr 10 a game on the table:eek:

We don't need down hill skiers like him, personally can't wait till he's back to prove my point.
Stokes on the other hand is leading the way!:thumbsu:

I admire your passion Meto but please dont say things are facts when they are not. Did I say to trade Stokes? NO . I said he is FA. I specifically said I was not advocating a trade.

That depends on the way you look at it. Just how much does he have accept to "repay". If The Cats offer 200 , 300 less?

If Meto is known for being anti TV , previous to this year Stokes hasn't been my fav. He has played his best no doubt but with the talent we have coming thru and will pick up. I wonder if it may be better for us long term to lose a player that will be 29 next year and to find a spot for a younger player. May hurt cause Stokes has been A grade. Better than I would have hoped and precisely what I wanted for some time but if we are really setting up for 2015 then an extra 20 plus game into another younger may be better long term.

Im not advocating trading him but if he chose to leave then I would not get in his way, or go crazy to keep him.

Obviously you like the cut of Stokes jib. Pervious to this years performance , he was a just a list clogger to my mind. You may think the same about TV.
A fit Varcoe represents a Motlop injection of talent , where as at his best Stokes is not that sort of player. He is closer to Bundy than the other two.

All my comment was about is if a big dollar offer came I wouldn't match it. It may hurt short term but long term getting games in to the kids we have would be better for us.

I don't want to get into this too deep, but I really don't understand how both you and YPO can be so critical of Varcoe. You are both entitled to your opinion, but I very much disagree with it. His impact cannot be measured in stats alone.
I will however agree that this year Stokes has been a colossus for us, and that any comparisons between the two made at this point are moot anyway due to Varcoe not being able to get on the park...I just think Varcoe's value to the team is as substantial, but for different reasons.
I don't understand how you read my post as being critical of Varcoe:confused:

Meto just taking another opportunity to slag TV. Nothing new here we should just move on before the thread gets derailed.

Can't really see Stokesy going anywhere as a free agent. Club took a punt on him as a mature age recruit supported him through his drug possession mishap and gave him a couple premiership medallions as a bit parts player.

Would be pretty poor for him to up and leave after having a breakout season where he has become a genuinely integral part of the side.
He would never leave us.

He has always said he is too ashamed to sing the Geelong theme song after a win because he doesn't feel he deserves to. You could see him after every win before this season, sulking guiltily and mumbling the song.

I think it's obvious the love and respect he has towards this club, and better yet he has become one of our top 5 players. If there was any reason he would leave, it would be for money, but I think he feels as if he has to repay the club in a big way.

Weren't you saying earlier in the thread we should trade him while the hype around him is still high?

Even if he was,...which he wasn't, what's wrong with that,... based on the numbers and his current 2013 input.
This is professional footy not a boys club my friend, no room for favorites here, afterall they're paid the average wage x10 in Varcoes case.

YPO,....You sound like a balanced critic to me, yes he has certain qualities that I like, but to me it's all about involvement, to me he lacks intensity so his involvement isn't what I'd like it to be.

That's why I stated with the breakout of Motlop and Bundy last year and 2013, should we not look to the future by taking advantage of his reputation for some young extreme talent or two.
All I did was posit the idea and the Varcoe club attacked.:confused:

Nonsensical direction this thread has taken,
Stokes is quality and a commited club man.
We would have to be offered something special to even consider parting with him
Anyone remember the doubts about Selwood, Johnson when we picked them up.
Geelong has had a very good history with taking a calculated risk on injured players who have turned out ok
Selwood and Johnson were both worth the risk. I honestly think that it is part of the reason we have drafted well with only limited picks.
We take the risk of drafting less than healthy players on the logic that they do have what it takes and that we can bring them up to form often enough to be worth the risk
I would say to all of you
Have patience on Macintosh, have patience with Varcoe
I have my doubts about Macintosh but also,
I have faith that we pretty much know what we are doing and
know when to pull the pin

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Mathew Stokes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back