Toast Mathew Stokes

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if he was,...which he wasn't, what's wrong with that,... based on the numbers and his current 2013 input.
This is professional footy not a boys club my friend, no room for favorites here, afterall they're paid the average wage x10 in Varcoes case.

YPO,....You sound like a balanced critic to me, yes he has certain qualities that I like, but to me it's all about involvement, to me he lacks intensity so his involvement isn't what I'd like it to be.

That's why I stated with the breakout of Motlop and Bundy last year and 2013, should we not look to the future by taking advantage of his reputation for some young extreme talent or two.
All I did was posit the idea and the Varcoe club attacked.:confused:
Lets have a good look at all three in the same side up and injury free and talk again. But in the mean time your entitled to your opinion and I'm sure you will continue to give it and hopefully you get sensible feed back and not the personal abuse that sometimes raises its ugly head when an alternate view is put forward.
End of Varcoe in the Stokes thread for me.

Even if he was,...which he wasn't, what's wrong with that,... based on the numbers and his current 2013 input.
This is professional footy not a boys club my friend, no room for favorites here, afterall they're paid the average wage x10 in Varcoes case.

YPO,....You sound like a balanced critic to me, yes he has certain qualities that I like, but to me it's all about involvement, to me he lacks intensity so his involvement isn't what I'd like it to be.

That's why I stated with the breakout of Motlop and Bundy last year and 2013, should we not look to the future by taking advantage of his reputation for some young extreme talent or two.
All I did was posit the idea and the Varcoe club attacked.:confused:

I didn't attack you dude I just respectfully disagreed.

I see where you are coming from, but surely Varcoe has enough talent for us to hold on to him. I think of him as the cherry on top of what is a great team. He may not bring a great deal of intensity but the things that he does do, he does brilliantly.

Lets have a good look at all three in the same side up and injury free and talk again. But in the mean time your entitled to your opinion and I'm sure you will continue to give it and hopefully you get sensible feed back and not the personal abuse that sometimes raises its ugly head when an alternate view is put forward.
End of Varcoe in the Stokes thread for me.

Somtimes I touch a raw nerve, I don't understand the issue myself.
Anyway, sounds like a good thing, the end!

Just hoping Mots gets 3 tonight hasn't been kicking to straight of late.
Varcoes off-sider!

What a little Champ he is , consistently puts his head over the pill and never complains when he ( often) cops it.
Shows what a crap judge I am - I'd have stuck a fork in him after 2012 , thought he was well and truly done for.
Very happy to be proven wrong, he's been sensational the last 2 seasons.

What a little Champ he is , consistently puts his head over the pill and never complains when he ( often) cops it.
Shows what a crap judge I am - I'd have stuck a fork in him after 2012 , thought he was well and truly done for.
Very happy to be proven wrong, he's been sensational the last 2 seasons.

In your defence, his transformation has been one of the more spectacular ones I can remember.

SJ, is the huge outlier that stands out like dog's bollocks his sub game against North Melbourne last year?
It is - and it's because I am not using raw Champion Data ranking points, but points scaled to 80% game time. In that game he scored 78 points in only 31% game time.

I realise that for those sorts of games the metric loses some explanatory power, but it helps be fairer to the player when they play little time due to injury or the sub vest.

SJ, on the Y-axis what do you mean by scaled to 80% of gametime (and why did you do that)?
I might be very wrong but I think 80% gametime is the "accepted" industry standard metric with the advent of subs.

Or I am completely talking out of my arse.

But I've seen that figure used around.

It is - and it's because I am not using raw Champion Data ranking points, but points scaled to 80% game time. In that game he scored 78 points in only 31% game time.

I realise that for those sorts of games the metric loses some explanatory power, but it helps be fairer to the player when they play little time due to injury or the sub vest.
Figured as much.

Nice work.

I might be very wrong but I think 80% gametime is the "accepted" industry standard metric with the advent of subs.

Or I am completely talking out of my arse.

But I've seen that figure used around.
To be honest, I chose it for Varcoe first as his career average game time was something like 80.7%. And since he had some games where he played five minutes, then his output and averages would be dragged heavily down by injury (which is inaccurate).

I just used the same for Stokes even though his career average was something like 82%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most interesting thing about Stokes' career are the ebbs and flows.

His career basically trended downward from 2007-10, he had a career best year in 2011 (at that stage), a career worst in 2012 and a career best in 2013.

Quite a rollercoaster!

The most interesting thing about Stokes' career are the ebbs and flows.

His career basically trended downward from 2007-10, he had a career best year in 2011 (at that stage), a career worst in 2012 and a career best in 2013.

Quite a rollercoaster!
He basically added 50% to his output from 2012 to 2013.

If you take 2011 against 2013 and factor in the shift from small forward to mid field it's about what you would expect,2012 is the odd year out.
Yeah, good call. Just strange than in 2012 he couldn't get a kick in a barn.

Always rated Stokesy but he seemed destined to see out his career as a pinch-hitting small forward with the odd cameo in the middle.

How awesome has it been to see his unexpected transition to become one of the premier mid-fielders of the game. Currently averaging 29 possessions (5th in the competition) and rarely plays a bad game.

Love his creatively, awareness and preparedness to put his body on the line when it's his time to go.

Seems to be a very positive influence around the club and sets a level of professionalism for the newer generation to aspire to. :diamonds: :thumbsu:

And knob head Warren Treddrea on radio over here in SA said Stoksey was the worst player at AFL level. Wonder if he remembers saying that.

decbb269d5632f4578efe5ae0ec3ace5b2953bde300f1ed1f30226e3f1cb448a.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Mathew Stokes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back