Women's Footy Matthew Clarke becomes AFLW head coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarke has to do something different. He's been in the same role for a decade. Change is long overdue really.

However, you'd imagine there was an element of asking the men's coaching staff, Who can you most afford to lose during that key February-March lead in to the season? Is there anyone you'd barely notice is missing?

Which is fine but I wonder if the appointment was about what's best for the men's team and spreading the men's coaching spend rather than what's best for the women.

Last edited:
I agree it is good to focus on those , and not bagging the job Bec did, but those coaches who follow the Inaugural coaches will start to get better skilled players coming through

Looking at the level of the u/16s match a month ago at AO those skills arent too far away
Those girls have been in the system for a few years now... so we will benefit from that. The inaugural group of girls to join the AFLW were a mixture of athletes (most from other sports) and girls who were playing a bit of kick and giggle in the seniors. Once we start seeing girls who have grown up with the sport, learned their basic skills early, we'll start reaping the reward. Reckon it's essential to focus on this for our senior squad right now (actually, should have been the focus last pre-season).

Clarke has to do something different. He's been in the same role for a decade. Change is long overdue really.

However, you'd imagine there was an element of asking the men's coaching staff, Who can you most afford to lose during that key February-March lead in to the season? Is there anyone you'd barely notice is missing?

Which is fine but I wonder if the appointment was about what's best for the men's team and spreading the men's coaching spend rather than what's best for the women.
Do you remember the good old Spackler days? With the selection conversations? Ah.... good times. (reckon "he'd" have a field day with the goings on at the minute)!

Do you remember the good old Spackler days? With the selection conversations? Ah.... good times. (reckon "he'd" have a field day with the goings on at the minute)!
I'd be interested to know how the women's players feel about this appointment. Whether they think it's great that they have someone with AFL playing experience and current AFL coaching staff experience. Or whether they see it as an tacked-on addition to Clarke's real job.

I'd be interested to know how the women's players feel about this appointment. Whether they think it's great that they have someone with AFL playing experience and current AFL coaching staff experience. Or whether they see it as an tacked-on addition to Clarke's real job.
I wonder if they have the courage to be brutally honest?

I wonder if they have the courage to be brutally honest?
I might be wrong. They might be rapt to have him and glad that there's a direct link between men's and women's teams.

From the outside though it seemed like they couldn't justify paying a full time salary to anyone so had a look around the club to find someone on 0.6 or 0.7 time

I might be wrong. They might be rapt to have him and glad that there's a direct link between men's and women's teams.

From the outside though it seemed like they couldn't justify paying a full time salary to anyone so had a look around the club to find someone on 0.6 or 0.7 time
And maybe that's ok... for now?

Legit it's hard to conceive of how/why a ruck coach would need to be a full time job.

Seriously, what would you spend your 38 hours a week doing?
What do any of them do? I'm sure they're all busy-ish at times and good at their jobs but I bet there are a lot of coffees.

From what I've heard the busiest guys tend to be the backroom IT crew who splice together all the footage, compile stats etc for the coaches.

What do any of them do? I'm sure they're all busy-ish at times and good at their jobs but I bet there are a lot of coffees.

From what I've heard the busiest guys tend to be the backroom IT crew who splice together all the footage, compile stats etc for the coaches.

From my rampant speculation for Ruck Coach:

You want to spend 1-2 hours each week (in season) reviewing each individual ruckman's game tape and working with them. So at adelaide that's 4-6 hours a week.

Aside from that helping out at training, attending meetings, helping out on match days is all obviously part of the job, but you tend to suspect there's only so much value you're individually adding there.

Then let's think about the 20 weeks a year where you're employed and it's out of season.

What does a ruck coach do to justify their 38 hours a week over pre-season? Seriously.

And maybe that's ok... for now?
I hope the club hasn't underestimated the time involved in being a senior coach. Sure, the 'contact hours' as far as trainings and games go might be small but I bet Bec Goddard was doing a million things all year round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope the club hasn't underestimated the time involved in being a senior coach. Sure, the 'contact hours' as far as trainings and games go might be small but I bet Bec Goddard was doing a million things all year round.
She also had a full time role with the AFP didn't she?

I thought she arranged some deal with them to do the coaching role?

She took personal leave during the season. The first year she had longer time off as leave. She was only based in Adelaide on a 2 year contract from the AFP anyway and that wound up this year.

I also have to say that I've now listened to his presser and said all the right things in it. He also wouldn't be pressured about who his assistants will be. Was very strong about improving the skills as the main focus for him. It's what we have all noticed across the whole league that this is where things are falling down a little bit. That's a big plus from me on that focus.

Well, that's a big tick :thumbsu: Have to give him credit for identifying a problem, setting about solving it, and doing it so well that we completely dominated the competition in his first season at the helm.

I'm really fascinated to see what happens next year. Based on this year's form, we're a mile ahead of everyone else, but we got there in only one season. Presumably at least a couple of the other clubs will manage to do the same.

But yes, between his admirable AFLW coaching job, and ROB's rapid ascent at AFL level, it's been a bumper year for Clarkey :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back