Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
VB is the one I am kinda intrigued by. He came from a very successful system at West Coast.
VB's first coaching stint was with us the year after he finished. Some development role.

Then went to West Coast. Was the best thing he could have done. Gain some experience outside of our system, broaden his horizons. Had some success but was only gone for 2-3 seasons.

He wasn't out of our bubble long enough to really soak in other influences. Returned to the nest asap. Was as though he wanted to move up higher here, got told he needed some outside experience, and as soon as he ticked that box he reapplied.

VB's first coaching stint was with us the year after he finished. Some development role.

Then went to West Coast. Was the best thing he could have done. Gain some experience outside of our system, broaden his horizons. Had some success but was only gone for 2-3 seasons.

He wasn't out of our bubble long enough to really soak in other influences. Returned to the nest asap. Was as though he wanted to move up higher here, got told he needed some outside experience, and as soon as he ticked that box he reapplied.

Yeah, but but I'd still like to see a year outside of the umbrella of Nicks... whose negative defensive philosophy now seems to have poisoned every part of the coaching group.

So we’ve got Brisbane next week at the Gabba, lol. Nick’s would hope we win tomorrow night, a bad loss against the Giants and a thumping against Brisbane with some of our key players back means he’s running out of excuses.

Come on Giants
A bad loss against GWS followed by an absolute reaming against the Lions?

Better get the tarps ready for the game against the Saints. ;) :embarrassedv1: :eekv1:

VB is the one I am kinda intrigued by. He came from a very successful system at West Coast.
VB was not a star mid; if anything an average workhorse (but my memories of him might be wrong).
Personality-wise, he's a cardboard cut-out of himself (placid smile and all) and didn't inspire as a Captain.
The WCE 'success' you're talking about is their Flag, yeah?
6th in 2016.
8th in 2017
Top in 2018 :oops: .
If that was on the back of VB Midfield Coaching magic, he left all his tricks back in Perth when he joined the Crows.
How much of this sh!tshow we are running due to Nicks defense-first-at-all-costs philosophy? Godden clearly bought into it from day one in 2000 (as shown in what should be the now infamous "get your bag, put your shoes in it, and get out" ultimatum from Nicks video).
Sorry, what are you referring to here, please? 2000? Nicks video?
He can go straight out the door, along with Nicks. So can Burns: he has gone from heading an underperforming defence straight to an underperforming offence,
Yeah, Burns is underwhelming, to say the most.
But I'd be tempted to give VB one more year under a different coach to see if he can do what he did with West Coast. It's a short leash, but I'd be willing to give him that chance.

I wouldn't give him another day.
If it was my decision:
--- I'd have sacked Nicks after the pathetic Richmond loss, or post-Sydney loss; Burns and VB too.
--- Hombsch as Caretaker.
--- tell Smith he won't play AFL again. Ditto, Murphy and McHenry.
--- Put a rocket up Laird, Sholl, Cook, Jones, Berry, Schoenberg, Keane, Himmelberg and Keays ==> play better or you're gone.
Use the last 9/10 games to see what Curtin (at HB and give him license to roam/run/rebound), Taylor and Edwards can do. Trade like Hell during the bye/MSD and at Season's end.

If we bottom out again, use our First wisely (wishful thinking, I know).

Saw this tonight. We are not even on the list in terms of the number of players under 22 years old . Nicks is full of 💩

EDIT: realised now that we aren’t listed here as it was our bye round . GreyCrow has determined that we have 6 players under 22 in this round which would put us in the middle of the pack. Hardly fits the club narrative that we are the youngest though

Attachments

• IMG_8500.jpeg
    IMG_8500.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

How much of this sh!tshow we are running due to Nicks defense-first-at-all-costs philosophy? Godden clearly bought into it from day one in 2000 (as shown in what should be the now infamous "get your bag, put your shoes in it, and get out" ultimatum from Nicks video). He can go straight out the door, along with Nicks. So can Burns: he has gone from heading an underperforming defence straight to an underperforming offence, and with him gone from a Senior role, we may be able to attract coaches that would otherwise have turned us down (as has already happened).

But I'd be tempted to give VB one more year under a different coach to see if he can do what he did with West Coast. It's a short leash, but I'd be willing to give him that chance.

Some valid points, but I think we need a completely clean slate.

How much of this sh!tshow we are running due to Nicks defense-first-at-all-costs philosophy? Godden clearly bought into it from day one in 2000 (as shown in what should be the now infamous "get your bag, put your shoes in it, and get out" ultimatum from Nicks video). He can go straight out the door, along with Nicks. So can Burns: he has gone from heading an underperforming defence straight to an underperforming offence, and with him gone from a Senior role, we may be able to attract coaches that would otherwise have turned us down (as has already happened).

Sam Mitchell was one of the coaches credited by the WC players at the time. I'd believe them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VB was not a star mid; if anything an average workhorse (but my memories of him might be wrong).
Personality-wise, he's a cardboard cut-out of himself (placid smile and all) and didn't inspire as a Captain.
The WCE 'success' you're talking about is their Flag, yeah?
6th in 2016.
8th in 2017
Top in 2018 :oops: .
If that was on the back of VB Midfield Coaching magic, he left all his tricks back in Perth when he joined the Crows.

Sorry, what are you referring to here, please? 2000? Nicks video?

Yeah, Burns is underwhelming, to say the most.

I wouldn't give him another day.
If it was my decision:
--- I'd have sacked Nicks after the pathetic Richmond loss, or post-Sydney loss; Burns and VB too.
--- Hombsch as Caretaker.
--- tell Smith he won't play AFL again. Ditto, Murphy and McHenry.
--- Put a rocket up Laird, Sholl, Cook, Jones, Berry, Schoenberg, Keane, Himmelberg and Keays ==> play better or you're gone.
Use the last 9/10 games to see what Curtin (at HB and give him license to roam/run/rebound), Taylor and Edwards can do. Trade like Hell during the bye/MSD and at Season's end.

If we bottom out again, use our First wisely (wishful thinking, I know).
The 2020 video (not 2000, apologies) that I refer to is this one - you can see how Godden bought in right from the outset. Check out just how arrogant Nicks is. Nice guy, huh? Really? Coaches don't have to be nice (Blight certainly wasn't) as long as they are really good. Nicks is neither. Or more the point, he can't pick his moments:

Call me old, but I remember VB when he first arrived at the club as a rookie, giving veterans sh!t for not measuring up. It earned him a lot of respect early on, and (as it turns out) an overblown reputation here. I think quite a few saw him as another Bickley, a battler who was just skillful enough and did all the right things. Things changed in a hurry after his Achilles injury, after that moment the elite standards seemed to drop as he struggled to continue his career and just hung on. It's cruel, it's mean, it's football, and he was hardly alone (as you can see in our team right now).

Back to coaching... That brief moment when his eyes lit up when a random from the press asked him about Billy Dowling earlier this year actually gave me a bit of hope... he actually still remembers good talent! Then the company line kicked in... and well, you know the rest.

Call me soft (and you know how hard I am on the rest of our coaching "circus") but I see.. something? I don't quite know what (well I do... and I yet don't). If he has to go to clear out ALL of the rest, so be it... I'd rather he still be around if Nicks and Godden and Burns are gone, than he be the sacrificial lamb and the rest of the crap is back next year.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The 2020 video I refer to is this one - you can see how Godden bought in right from the outset. Check out just how arrogant Nicks is. Nice guy, huh? Really? Coaches don't have to be nice (Blight certainly wasn't) as long as they are really good. Nicks is neither. Or more the point, he can't pick his moments:

Call me old, but I remember VB when he first arrived at the club as a rookie, giving veterans sh!t for not measuring up. It earned him a lot of respect early on, and (as it turns out) an overblown reputation here. I think quite a few saw him as another Bickley, a battler who was just skillful enough and did all the right things. Things changed in a hurry after his Achilles injury, after that moment the elite standards seemed to drop as he struggled to continue his career and just hung on. It's cruel, it's mean, it's football, and he was hardly alone (as you can see in our team right now).

Back to coaching... That brief moment when his eyes lit up when a random from the press asked him about Billy Dowling earlier this year actually gave me a bit of hope... he actually still remembers good talent! Then the company line kicked in... and well, you know the rest.

Call me soft (and you know how hard I am on the rest of our coaching "circus") but I see.. something? I don't quite know what (well I do... and I yet don't). If he has to go to clear out ALL of the rest, so be it... I'd rather he still be around if Nicks and Godden and Burns are gone, than he be the sacrificial lamb and the rest of the crap is back next year.

You want us to call you old and soft? Don’t those two go together anyway?

Counterargument: Our centre bounce work.
Pay that. Although, as I have asked, how much of our total coaching (centre bounces, even forwards) has been poisoned by the Nicks defense first philosophy?

Remember back when Ken Judge was the coach of Hawthorn, and when well behind in the last quarter had all his players defensive side of the ball at the centre bounce... and Blight laughed and said "good luck with that"

If you don't know how to score goals when you need to, you just can't win. End of story.

The 2020 video I refer to is this one - you can see how Godden bought in right from the outset. Check out just how arrogant Nicks is. Nice guy, huh? Really? Coaches don't have to be nice (Blight certainly wasn't) as long as they are really good. Nicks is neither. Or more the point, he can't pick his moments:

Wonder if he's had a "pack up your shoes" talk to his buddy Laird this year yet?

The 2020 video (not 2000, apologies) that I refer to is this one - you can see how Godden bought in right from the outset. Check out just how arrogant Nicks is. Nice guy, huh? Really? Coaches don't have to be nice (Blight certainly wasn't) as long as they are really good. Nicks is neither. Or more the point, he can't pick his moments:

That moment where Godden says ‘I’d rather see you run around like a headless chook, because then I know you give a s#*t’ is the exact reason we continue to give games to Murphy and McHenry - we just value the wrong characteristics in players, and that’s why we will struggle to move forward with this regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back