Toast Matthew Pavlich inducted to AFL Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

I was channel swapping to try to see as much Pav as possible. Great stories and acknowledgment from Channel 10 and 9. But I swear when I watched the Ch 7 sports report I saw no mention of the great man, that didn’t happen did it?
Instead the top story was an interview with the captains of the last place 1 win team in the AFL.
Go figure

Beautiful Pav. When I saw the posts tally for this last night it was on '29', so I didn't want to be the 30th poster and move it off that hahaha. I guess I'm more superstitious than I realised. Silly really, but I just couldn't!

Anyway, massive congrats - so well earnt and great recap from Ross too...loved it, the good old days....to a degree! :p

I was trying to remember if the checkside boundary goal was one he kicked that day as 1 of the 8...but the commentary and scores would say this was from a different game.

That was the year before. AFL Tables tell me unlike the Pav game the year after in this one we finished up getting belted.

I just hope that when we do win our first he can cast aside the feigned neutrality and go mental like Richo did.
"And Fyfe kicks the sealer! And there's the siren! Well, Gawn obviously feels a little hard done-by there, but on the replay, Mundy's shepherd was obviously fair... who am I kidding?" <screams>
<throws microphone into crowd>
<Tears off jacket and tie, charges into mass of celebrating Fremantle players and is engulfed>

Last edited:
The coverage said he'd won a Colemen, but I thought he never did. I remember, because I was always hoping he would win one, but he played too much in defence and/or mid. Would have got to 1000 I reckon if he stayed forward. I googled and his name doesn't come up among Coleman winners.

In any case, a very worthy tribute and acknowledgement of the great man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The coverage said he'd won a Colemen, but I thought he never did. I remember, because I was always hoping he would win one, but he played too much in defence and/or mid. Would have got to 1000 I reckon if he stayed forward. I googled and his name doesn't come up among Coleman winners.

Yeah, the story on the Freo site said Coleman, too, which threw me to the point I checked wikipedia. My memory was that going into the last round of 2012 Pav was either leading or equal to Reiwoldt (J), but got held to 2 while Reiwoldt kicked a bag.

Well it's only in a VFL state of mind that Pav can kick the most goals in the year and not win the Coleman. Still riles me up all these years later. I don't see why in years like that they can't award two Colemans. No-one bats an eyelid when two Brownlows are awarded.

Watching Ross Lyon’s introduction was goosebumps. Incredible words.
Measure the player on performance- in finals, in clutch moments. Measure of the man off the field. Pav was and is elite in all of those

That last bit where he mentioned lap of honour at end of last game and seeing men and women crying :(

Well it's only in a VFL state of mind that Pav can kick the most goals in the year and not win the Coleman. Still riles me up all these years later. I don't see why in years like that they can't award two Colemans. No-one bats an eyelid when two Brownlows are awarded.
It happens fairly often. Bailey Fritsch kicked the most goals last year but not in the H&A season. McKay won the Coleman.

Instead the top story was an interview with the captains of the last place 1 win team in the AFL.
Go figure
I generally switch from 9 to 7 after nines sports news.
Looking at the 7 sports news, it would appear to be an obituary about the demise of the Yellas.
I keep looking for the tissue box along side the interviewee.
Maybe Stokesie and seven trying to keep them relevant.
But I really could not stand ten years of their tears.
But, on second thoughts. Yes I bloody could.:):):).

Surely we could name of the stands at Optus for Fremantle home games the Matthew Pavlich grandstand.

It happens fairly often. Bailey Fritsch kicked the most goals last year but not in the H&A season. McKay won the Coleman.
Pretty sloppy coverage saying he won a Coleman. Finished equal first for goals after the finals* on 69 but only kicked 62 in the regular season. Riewoldt kicked 65 regular season.

Bit weird some people getting cross about it though. It would hardly be a fair award if you could win it having the opportunity to play more games than someone in a team that misses the finals

*Looking at the stats I was reminded he played the semi the week after he kicked 6 in that famous elim against Geelong. He was on one leg after that game. Madness playing the next week.

*Looking at the stats I was reminded he played the semi the week after he kicked 6 in that famous elim against Geelong. He was on one leg after that game. Madness playing the next week.
I don't think there was anyway Pav wasn't playing in that semi against crows unless they amputated his leg.

Should have won that game regardless.

Yeah I had a look through the records, happens more than I thought but if anything goals should count double in finals. It's absurd they're not counted towards the Coleman.
Not really, it’s like counting Brownlow votes during finals. I think an * next to the finals goals is fine, as long as they’re recognised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Matthew Pavlich inducted to AFL Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

Back