Tertiary and Continuing Mature age entry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Millington Magic

Club Legend
May 27, 2009
Some place
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
Hey guys, I'm just wondering how hard it is to get into uni as a mature age student. I'm currently doing year 12 this year, but will not get a good enter. I want to take a few years off, work etc then go study. Looking at doing primary education at latrobe/deakin....

Do I need to apply through VTAC this year? Or the year before I try and get in? How hard is the STAT?

Any responce would be greatly appreciated.

Mature age? So you are talking about 24+ years old? I am assuming you are 17ish now so what are you going to do for work for 7 odd years?

Wouldn't be a bad idea as you can stuff around for a while until you settle down but 7 years down the track you may develop a lazy lifestyle and just say stuff study I enjoy my life the way it is.

Could always do part-time study (1-2 classes per semester) To see if you really want to do it.

Every state is different with entry, but I have heard from others that STAT isn't that hard.

STAT test isn't that hard. I did it at about 22yo, then dropped out of my degree, worked for 7-8 years, then went back to study via TAFE. Did a 2 year diploma, then straight into a double degree at Uni. I'm sure having received good marks at TAFE helped, but no way in hell would I have got into my current program had I been relying on my ENTER score.

That said, taking 7 years off to work is a long time, and a helluva lot can change in that time. Doing a TAFE course as a pathway into Uni is always a good option.

Sorry to arrive so late on the scene with this one, but at 28 (nearly 29), I am undertaking my first uni degree. TAFE is the way to go IMO. In the eleven years since I have completed Year 12, I have gained four TAFE qualifications; all part time whilst working full time.

Cert IV in Marketing
Cert IV in Business (Frontline Management)
Cert II and III in Business Administration

I am currently completing units in Cert IV Occupational Health and Safety as part of my job.

Hey guys, I'm just wondering how hard it is to get into uni as a mature age student. I'm currently doing year 12 this year, but will not get a good enter. I want to take a few years off, work etc then go study. Looking at doing primary education at latrobe/deakin....

Do I need to apply through VTAC this year? Or the year before I try and get in? How hard is the STAT?

Any responce would be greatly appreciated.

I'm mature age, and I'm starting an IT degree through Open Universities (affiliated with Monash) this year. I had to do two subjects last year as a pre-requisite, but the credits count towards the overall degree. One was mandatory, the other was an elective. Enrolling and so on was a fairly straightforward process. You're given the option of using Fee-Help too you don't have to pay upfront if you don't wish too.

Hope that helps.

I've just enrolled in Certificate IV Info Tech. I studied IT when I left high school but it was more software design and in the last 9 years I've been working in a library so have decided to go back and update my qualifications..I just applied and they let me in but to go to uni as mature age (which is 20+ is WA) I'd need to sit the STAT but it sounds like it's fairly straight forward for anyone with a grasp of the English language.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tertiary and Continuing Mature age entry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back