News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't know or care really.

Nothing worse than sad bitter ex-players continually pitting the club.
While this is true, it's equally sad to ignore legitimate criticism because of personalities. I also don't actually think Jako (or LeCras or others) fall into the bitter camp. This weekend was an absolute shambles, the club needs to accept every word of criticism.

While this is true, it's equally sad to ignore legitimate criticism because of personalities. I also don't actually think Jako (or LeCras or others) fall into the bitter camp. This weekend was an absolute shambles, the club needs to accept every word of criticism.
The criticism is fine.
But Jacko is pretty much known to be as thick as two planks.
I haven't read the article, only the "sack Simmo this week grab".

Does he come up with any decent suggestions?

Everyone know yesterday wasn't acceptable.

Damian Barrett is running with the line that we haven't bottomed out yet.

I had a look at our team yesterday. Andrew Gaff was the only player over 30. You could take him out of the side on current form and the team would be no worse. Many of the players playing were either not ready for prime time or are spuds who will be delisted over the next two years.

Pretty sure that right there is the bottom. There will be no point going forwards in the next couple of years where the team will be statistically significantly worse than that (and I am considering this week where the team on paper could easily be slightly worse due to new injuries, but Sunday's performance will make that look like a rounding error).

I know a few here earlier in the season pointed out the next two years would be worse, but thanks to our injury list I think we've arrived at the bottom early.

Absolute worst case is we maybe hit this point again in two years but can it really be as bad as yesterday? Really? We'll have two drafts of new players and probably a free agent or three then to replace some high salaries from our premiership year.

Discuss. Can we really get worse? Is it even possible that's not the bottom?

Any chance to bring it up.
It's funny, because an 18 year old today would have been 2 years old in 2007. If they went back to research the "drug saga" they'd find that no-one was found guilty of anything but Ben Cousins liked to do a bunch of party drugs and got banned for 12 months (for partying to hard).

It goes to show how much water has gone under the bridge.

I had a look at our team yesterday. Andrew Gaff was the only player over 30. You could take him out of the side on current form and the team would be no worse. Many of the players playing were either not ready for prime time or are spuds who will be delisted over the next two years.

Pretty sure that right there is the bottom. There will be no point going forwards in the next couple of years where the team will be statistically significantly worse than that (and I am considering this week where the team on paper could easily be slightly worse due to new injuries, but Sunday's performance will make that look like a rounding error).

I know a few here earlier in the season pointed out the next two years would be worse, but thanks to our injury list I think we've arrived at the bottom early.

Absolute worst case is we maybe hit this point again in two years but can it really be as bad as yesterday? Really? We'll have two drafts of new players and probably a free agent or three then to replace some high salaries from our premiership year.

Exactly right. Barrett is a moron. It is basically impossible for us to put out a worse team than we did yesterday. And with some high draft picks coming our way, there is genuinely only one way we can go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a belting perspective we will surpass that game this year, probably as soon as next week. I don't even think -200 is impossible at some point.

If you take a wider perspective this is going to be us for at least a couple of seasons

Look at the state of us.

May as well draw a line through all the senior players currently on the injury list who are older than 30 as we wont get another decent season out of any of them.

Of the remaining senior players currently on the injury list most of them aren't that good.

Of the young players only a couple have jumped out at as having obvious AFL futures, but they will take years for them to realise their potential.

We have hands down the worst 23-30 year olds in AFL

So its a perfect storm. A mass retirement event over the next few years handing over to a mid tier that is shit and a young brigade that arent ready and have no onfield mentors.

Last edited:

Titus Oreilly has the answer to whether it’s the bottom or not

So, there’s the bottom of the ladder, and then below that is a trapdoor, and if you open that trapdoor, there is a ladder, and if you go down that ladder, there’s an elevator. Take that down fifty kilometres and there’s the West Coast Eagles.

The Hawks, who are very much not good, smashed the Eagles by 116 points, and it was brutal to watch.

Mitch Lewis kicked a career-high six goals, but it doesn’t really count as someone who had watched a two-minute ‘The basics of Australian Rules football’ video on YouTube could do that against the Eagles.

In the second half, Hawthorn booted 11 second-half goals while the Eagles responded with two whole points.

In a half! Two points. And those two points were surprises. Basically accidents.

The Eagles were without Tom Barrass, Jack Darling, Nic Naitanui, Luke Shuey, Elliot Yeo, Jamie Cripps, Liam Ryan, Shannon Hurn, Jeremy McGovern and Tom Cole.

In their quest to injure all their players, a quest they are close to completing, they added Jamaine Jones to that list.

Apart from getting injured, the Eagles show no enthusiasm for any other part of football.

To think, Geelong briefly worried about losing Tim Kelly to the Eagles. I mean I know he wanted to be closer to family, but does anyone like their family that much?

Both Hawthorn and West Coast managed to successfully count the number of interchanges they had.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From a belting perspective we will surpass that game this year, probably as soon as next week. I don't even think -200 is impossible at some point.

If you take a wider perspective this is going to be us for at least a couple of seasons

Look at the state of us.

May as well draw a line through all the senior players currently on the injury list who are older than 30 as we wont get another decent season out of any of them.

Of the remaining senior players currently on the injury list most of them aren't that good.

Of the young players only a couple have jumped out at as having obvious AFL futures, but they will take years for them to realise their potential.

We have hands down the worst 23-30 year olds in AFL

So its a perfect storm. A mass retirement event over the next few years handing over to a mid tier that is s**t and a young brigade that arent ready and have no onfield mentors.

I'm not quite as down on every line of our list as you are.

I see us getting a decent season out of two of McGovern, Darling and Cripps.

Our 23-30 year olds are thin for depth, but we have a handful of good/solid ones (Allen, Kelly, Ryan, Barrass, Duggan, Sheed, Hunt, Jones)

Several of our kids look like they have obvious AFL futures (Ginbey, Bazzo, Long, Hough) with a few more unproven (Chesser, Hewett, Burgiel, Barnett)

Add 5 top 50 picks in the coming draft, Maric in the PSD and a couple of so far (in this post) unnamed players from our list making it (and yes we have several candidates there) and we've got a first 22 which is waaaaaaay more competitive than the one we're currently putting out.

It might take more than getting Barrass back from the flu this week, but it'll start to turn soon. Unless half the squad get Covid next week in which case I'm going to shut up and cry for a bit.

I'm not quite as down on every line of our list as you are.

I see us getting a decent season out of two of McGovern, Darling and Cripps.

Our 23-30 year olds are thin for depth, but we have a handful of good/solid ones (Allen, Kelly, Ryan, Barrass, Duggan, Sheed, Hunt, Jones)

Several of our kids look like they have obvious AFL futures (Ginbey, Bazzo, Long, Hough) with a few more unproven (Chesser, Hewett, Burgiel, Barnett)

Add 5 top 50 picks in the coming draft, Maric in the PSD and a couple of so far (in this post) unnamed players from our list making it (and yes we have several candidates there) and we've got a first 22 which is waaaaaaay more competitive than the one we're currently putting out.

It might take more than getting Barrass back from the flu this week, but it'll start to turn soon. Unless half the squad get Covid next week in which case I'm going to shut up and cry for a bit.
Yes, but you’re forgetting our love for drafting players who are good at one position and playing them in a completely different position at afl level. Then when they’re no good we delist them. 😂

Lol - how did that guy miss us having to play at the G against Pies in 2018 when we bloody well beat them in rnd 1 in the qualifying final (the same scenario we copped against Hawthorn in 2015). This time we'd learnt our lessons and won. It's arguably one of the best GF wins given the shocking home ground disadvantage.

My favourite part of this was that none of this was mentioned on GF day, instead the media decided to focus on the "Maynard was blocked" story with zero mention to the fact Jeremy Howe was caught dead to rights HTB in the goal square moments earlier.

Umpires put the whistle away late in GF, benefit was negligible, better team won on the day on the oppositions home deck.

My favourite part of this was that none of this was mentioned on GF day, instead the media decided to focus on the "Maynard was blocked" story with zero mention to the fact Jeremy Howe was caught dead to rights HTB in the goal square moments earlier.

Wasn't Howe tackled after the Sheed goal? Darling shits the bed, ball ends up with Howe who is tackled perfectly by Willie.

Wasn't Howe tackled after the Sheed goal? Darling shits the bed, ball ends up with Howe who is tackled perfectly by Willie.
you're most likely right, which makes it even worse.

He actually copped it twice. Cripps nailed him earlier and then he got drilled by Willie after Darling's drop.

*, that was such a great game!
I thought it was twice too but thought I might have been gilding the lily!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back