News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was our dibolical midfield.
Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

I come in peace. Not sure if anyone has put this on before, but there's a great Eagles/Dockers breakdown on 6PR every week with Mark Stone (was an assistant at both clubs over the last 20 years). 15-20 mins, no hyperbole, knows the players and makes some really salient points. Well worth your time. Covers protecting Reid and how to break the tag for you guys this week.

PS - You got absolutely rooted yesterday with that Yeo call. Not good for the game if that's where it's going.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolutely we did, I am still seething about it, and that McBurnley twat, the head of coaching, ticked it off as correct. Pulled the ball in, he said echoing what Cornes said. What codswallop! Where does he pull it in? The guy is on his knees trying to get up, grabs the ball and is tackled all within 1 sec.

How the umpiring department can sign off on that Yeo HTB is beyond me. Comparing it to the Draper one vs Adelaide is comical. The two incidents are nothing alike.

**** I hate this incompetent league sometimes. It’s so ****ed.

I thought it was our dibolical midfield.
AS bad as our mids were, they still got the ball forward more than North's. If half those misses were goals, the team has momentum and it puts doubt into Norf players' minds.

Absolutely we did, I am still seething about it, and that McBurnley twat, the head of coaching, ticked it off as correct. Pulled the ball in, he said echoing what Cornes said. What codswallop! Where does he pull it in? The guy is on his knees trying to get up, grabs the ball and is tackled all within 1 sec.
Complete bollocks it was the right call.

Yeo grabbed the ball and got to his knees...he didnt drag it in.

This league is a complete joke lead by useless umpiring

AS bad as our mids were, they still got the ball forward more than North's. If half those misses were goals, the team has momentum and it puts doubt into Norf players' minds.
It wasnt untill we threw some pace in the middle as a hail mary that the midfield got some momentum IMO.

It wasnt untill we threw some pace in the middle as a hail mary that the midfield got some momentum IMO.
That definitely helped and lead to us getting in front, for sure.

Just saying that as much as our pedestrian midfield sucked, we still had more scoring shots before the change was made.

Any other team than Norf and we get smashed though.

Exactly, we need Ryan and Brockman in there rotating after the bye. Brockman was terrific at that in the Beagles game against the Demons in Northam.

How the umpiring department can sign off on that Yeo HTB is beyond me. Comparing it to the Draper one vs Adelaide is comical. The two incidents are nothing alike.

**** I hate this incompetent league sometimes. It’s so ****ed.

Because they mark their own homework.

They justify it based on technicality... "derp, he dragged it in"... whilst collecting the ball and standing up...

Never mind its completely against the spirit of football to pay that as HTB.

I actually feel sorry for the umpires, they are completely confused by the incompetent pencil pushers in charge.

Because they mark their own homework.

They justify it based on technicality... "derp, he dragged it in"... whilst collecting the ball and standing up...

Never mind its completely against the spirit of football to pay that as HTB.

I actually feel sorry for the umpires, they are completely confused by the incompetent pencil pushers in charge.
Morning news reports that the AFL investigated themselves and found that the the free kick against Yeo was "the correct call".

Surprise, surprise...

We are already starting to see players hesitant to pick up the ball in congestion inside 50. Its leading towards an absolute farce.

From The Tackle in HS

3. WHAT’S YOUR DECISION?

Let’s play a little game. It’s called: What’s the worst umpiring decision of the year? We’ll put a podium together. I’ll go first.
1. The non-payment of holding the ball against Nick Daicos in the Collingwood-Western Bulldogs game.
2. The payment of holding ball to Jy Simpkin on Elliot Yeo in the West Coast-North Melbourne.
3. The holding the man free kick against Mac Andrew on Max King in the St Kilda-Gold Coast game.

Send your nominations to themindboggles.com.au.

If the AFL ticks off the Yeo decision as correct, the fabric of the game is challenged. One of the ‘guiding principles’ for the Laws of the Game says “a priority of the laws, interpretations and officiating is to reward and protect the player who makes winning the ball their primary objective”.

Yeo was on his knees, took the ball and was tackled immediately. No prior opportunity. No time to think. What was he supposed to do? Not take the ball? Suddenly, there’s a fine line between grabbing the ball and dragging the ball in.

The Andrew decision came 70m ahead of the ball when Andrew and King were both grappling. Both of them grabbed each other when they didn’t have the ball, so the free kick could’ve gone either way. King kicked the go-ahead goal at Marvel Stadium. Simpkin kicked the go-ahead goal at Optus Stadium. They were huge moments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Morris been hacked on X.

Though he has previously outed someone so not 100% sure it is a hack…

It's a hack for sure, the anonymous d1ckhead has even released his mobile number.

I get it, nobody likes Tom, but still absolute sh1t form from the flog whoever they are...

Morning news reports that the AFL investigated themselves and found that the the free kick against Yeo was "the correct call".

Surprise, surprise...

We are already starting to see players hesitant to pick up the ball in congestion inside 50. Its leading towards an absolute farce.

Lee Mathews talking sense "if that is a legitimate free kick, then we have gone too far"

West Coast Eagles star Elliot Yeo admits players confused by holding-the-ball rule amid North Melbourne report​

West Coast star Elliot Yeo admits players are confused by the new holding-the-ball rule clarification as he questioned the controversial free kick paid against him in the loss to North Melbourne.
It comes as reports emerge that the Kangaroos have joined the list of rival clubs circling the veteran, who will be out of contract at the end of the season.

Yeo was penalised after being deemed to have dragged the ball in before being tackled by Roos skipper Jy Simpkin in the nine-point defeat at Optus Stadium on Saturday, a decision later ticked off by the AFL.
The 30-year-old, who had nine disposals and a goal in the last quarter as the Eagles mounted a comeback, believed he should have been rewarded for the tackle he laid moments earlier.

“My interpretation of the new holding-the-ball rule was that if you had the ability to fend off someone, which (George) Wardlaw did with me, and I tackled him to the ground and obviously the ball fell out, I thought that was holding-the-ball,” Yeo told 96FM.

“Watching the games on the weekend, the same sort of thing happened but it was ball up, so there was a lot of inconsistencies.
“And I think there is just so much confusion about what it and what isn’t (holding the ball).

“I think it’s just more confusion and the players don’t really know what’s going on.
“And whether or not I just need more clarity because, to be honest, I don’t think there was anything I could have done at all.”
The two-time All-Australian admits the free kick would put him off going for the ball in future, given umpires boss Stephen McBurney said the correct call was made.

“They said I dived on the ball and I don’t think you can dive on the ball when you’re already on the ground,” he said.
“I think the fact that, if the ball was underneath me and I sort of laid on it, then fair enough. That’s definitely holding the ball.
“But nah, I went to my feet and I actually ended up on my back, and the ball was pinned between me and the tackler. So the ball at any point is not really underneath me at all.
“You can eliminate underneath and you can eliminate diving, so that’s just my (interpretation).”
03e0e9c30c10690a10f21a0d68cda5f5d6f35031.jpg

He argued most AFL fans would disagree with the decision.
“I get the feeling that most people that love football and understand football would probably err on the side that it was the wrong decision,” he said.
“But unfortunately at the moment with the new holding the ball interpretation, I don’t really know what’s right and what’s wrong.”

Yeo on the Incorrect Tackle decision.
Also a Worst re-tread from a 96fm interview (couldn't locate the audio).

Complete bollocks it was the right call.

Yeo grabbed the ball and got to his knees...he didnt drag it in.

This league is a complete joke lead by useless umpiring
Dead horse my friend, deader that AFL credibility.

We need to remember that AFL is a small domestic competition for a game effectively players in 3.5 states of a small country (Population). TV cash inflates egos but not credibility.

Dead horse my friend, deader that AFL credibility.

We need to remember that AFL is a small domestic competition for a game effectively players in 3.5 states of a small country (Population). TV cash inflates egos but not credibility.
That small!! Yet averages the 4th most attendance for a sports league in the entire world

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back