News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice interview with Ginbey on how Reid and Yeo have influenced his progression this year.

West Coast Eagles midfielder Reuben Ginbey explains how Harley Reid’s arrival has changed his game​

West Coast midfielder Reuben Ginbey has revealed watching number one draft pick Harley Reid dominating as a first year player has made him re-assess what he’s capable of and increased his own expectations this season.
Reid has been one of West Coast’s best players after being selected as the number one pick in last season’s national draft, but is currently serving a two-game suspension.

He and Ginbey, who West Coast selected at pick seven in 2022, have worked closely together as the future of the club’s midfield.

Ginbey said watching Reid in action had shown him what is achievable for young players.
“The way he plays really inspires us as a team,” Ginbey told The Sunday Times.
“It’s just that aggression he brings just the ability for him to back himself and use his power that’s been super impressive. It’s been awesome to play with him for the first half of this year.

“I’m still building on my ability to have more time than I think and take the game on. Over the last month I’ve been able to improve on that and look more composed with the footy and I’m stronger around the contest.
“Harley’s been able to set the tone on that as a young player that can’t be tackled. And obviously Yeo’s another real great role model for that as a bigger midfielder that’s a real bull in the contest. I love the way he goes about it. So having those two real contested beasts around me helps me to model my own game.”

Ginbey is still learning how to play as an inside midfielder after being drafted as a half-backman who could also play on the wing.
A late growth spurt means Ginbey is still coming to terms with what’s expected while playing a taller and stronger midfielder. But he made the most of his time on the sidelines at the end of last season due to injury by spending more time in the gym.
Ginbey said his confidence had grown significantly in recent weeks.

“Coming into the start of the season, I was probably not playing the best footy. I wasn’t in bad form, but I was just trying to find a bit of better form. think over the last month I’ve been able to do that myself we have also as a team,” he said.

“I’m really finding clarity in my role now as that midfielder that can crash and bash inside but also go on the wing and use a bit of outside run and carry.
“Modern day midfielders are just getting taller and stronger, so I think I’m been having that 190cm frame and 90 kilos is really helping me out this year.

“That versatility you get from being a little bit taller being able to help in the air and also on the ground is important. The likes of Patty Cripps set the tone with that biggest ask me first so hopefully I can get to that kind of size one day.
“The added bulk this year has definitely improved me.”

Not an Eagles piece but you gotta love Daily Mail - they’ve decided to call Abby Holmes ‘Abby Chatsfield’ - a misspelling of the surname of a different woman called Abby - but to their credit, they have correctly described her job as a post-game interviewer at the same time.

IMG_5284.jpeg

Not an Eagles piece but you gotta love Daily Mail - they’ve decided to call Abby Holmes ‘Abby Chatsfield’ - a misspelling of the surname of a different woman called Abby - but to their credit, they have correctly described her job as a post-game interviewer at the same time.

View attachment 2022376

A whole lot of hoo-ha about nothing!

I didn’t see anything about her hoo-ha.

Was that on the Brissie players WhatsApp group?
Lol.

Apparently these 2 are close friends, hence the interaction.

It's just a rehash of Leigh Matthews' radio segment, where he said he found it 'peculiar'.

Got a run on news.com.au also.

Hard to argue.

Mark Robinson on the state of AFL umpiring in 2024 after the Bailey Scott decision

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In light of the new interpretation of HTB, going to be interesting to see if HR9 gets pinged for breaking tackles. And if it is equally applied to His Highness Mr Dusty. Might have a word with Elliot Yeo to get his thoughts.

I’m sure it’s been posted in this thread ad nauseam but anyone disillusioned with the current AFL ineptitude and clickiness that saw Dillon and Kane (not Bock and Gunston…) ascend to their roles would be well served reading “The Boys Club” by Michael Warner.

It covers all manner of nepotism, cronyism and good old fashioned conflicts of interest that permeate AFL House.

Even more interesting to read given Gil’s recent appointment as Tabcorp CEO and tweets like this 👇

I’m sure it’s been posted in this thread ad nauseam but anyone disillusioned with the current AFL ineptitude and clickiness that saw Dillon and Kane (not Bock and Gunston…) ascend to their roles would be well served reading “The Boys Club” by Michael Warner.

It covers all manner of nepotism, cronyism and good old fashioned conflicts of interest that permeate AFL House.

Even more interesting to read given Gil’s recent appointment as Tabcorp CEO and tweets like this 👇

Can't look at the game and the decision making of the "AFL" in the same light after that book.

Glorified bush League.

All the more satisfying when we win though!

As much as I enjoy having a crack at Kane from time to time I can say I admire that he’s not afraid to say what he thinks

Yes but it's just no-one knows what she's talking about because it's pure corporate speak.
G, Not sure if you're running a piss take here but if you are is there any chance of a giveaway emoji at the end of the sentence?

If not, I'll point out the obvious. Different Kanes.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back