Melbourne Rebels (Super Rugby Pacific) Gone!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Numero 31

Rookie
Mar 8, 2023
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne
Anyone else follow Rugby here?

Melbourne Rebels are in financial strife and their ongoing future depends upon this upcoming season. They need to perform on the pitch (they have a good squad for this season) and to get more bums on seats to show there is life in Victorian Rugby.

If you have some interest in this code, pop out to some Rebels home matches. Round 1 of Super Pacific Rugby against the A.C.T. Brumbies is on this Friday night at AAMI Stadium.

Carn the Rebs 🏉

Rebels want wins and fans ahead of critical season

Anyone else follow Rugby here?

Melbourne Rebels are in financial strife and their ongoing future depends upon this upcoming season. They need to perform on the pitch (they have a good squad for this season) and to get more bums on seats to show there is life in Victorian Rugby.

If you have some interest in this code, pop out to some Rebels home matches. Round 1 of Super Pacific Rugby against the A.C.T. Brumbies is on this Friday night at AAMI Stadium.

Carn the Rebs 🏉

Rebels want wins and fans ahead of critical season
Love em

The Rebels are on 3 wins so far with a win away against the Waratahs in Sydney last week and now there is talk of a private equity rescue package for the Rebels so there is still hope they may survive ...

The Rebs play Fijian Drua at AAMI Stadium tonight at 7.30pm and the Fijians play an attacking brand of running rugby, should be entertaining.

Carn the Rebs!

The Rebels are on 3 wins so far with a win away against the Waratahs in Sydney last week and now there is talk of a private equity rescue package for the Rebels so there is still hope they may survive ...

The Rebs play Fijian Drua at AAMI Stadium tonight at 7.30pm and the Fijians play an attacking brand of running rugby, should be entertaining.

Carn the Rebs!
theyre a good chance to make finals for first time now.
The Private Equity deal actually seems quite smart. it will be a new stadium with reduced capacity (15k) so less leasing costs and I believe its in a large growth area for pacifika community.
Rugby Aus would be utter campaigners to knock it back (or just spiteful that rebels could organise a PE deal when McLennans PE deal fell through for RUgby Aus).

I went last night against the Chiefs. First time I've been to a rugby game. I loved it. The atmosphere was good. Best thing was seeing so many kids around.

I went last night against the Chiefs. First time I've been to a rugby game. I loved it. The atmosphere was good. Best thing was seeing so many kids around.
I went last Friday too. Was a good night. I quite liked the footy style banner for the players to run through at the start. A very Victorian touch. Thanks to The Demon Army for that 👍👍

I was there last night but unfortunately that will be it for rugby in Melbourne.
Maybe we get a finals match in Melbourne? 🤔 2 more rounds to go with away matches in Canberra and Fiji.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as a Melbourne based rugby fan Im gutted at the thought RA will cease any investment in the game here, but at same time Rebels have been poorly run from the get go and Rugby Aus (due to their own mismanagement as well as the mismanagement of most Super teams) cant afford to prop up 5 teams.
Its annoying that NSW and ACT are also poorly run but NSW were obviously never getting kicked out, ACT were probably in the gun first but the moment they worked with QLD to oust the Hamster and push back on centralisation the rebels were a dead man walking.

There has to be close to a call for a Royal Commission into what has happened to Rugby in Australia over the past 15+ years.

Absolute farce of what used to be a great sport to watch. They had chances and for reasons I don't know, keep failing.

Shame, real shame.

As a foundation Brumbies member I’ll admit we have been poorly operated at times but speaks volumes that we are more successful than every other team in Australia combined
yeah not throwing shade at you guys, I wouldnt want to see the Brumbies go either. But there were a number of reports that RA were looking at removing the Brumbies once they got centralisation over the line, or at least Brumbies were very concerned about it because part of the centralisation arrangement was RA had full financial control of each team and therefore would have access to their books.
There was also reports Rugby Vic/rebels were closing to signing on for centralisation straight after NSW did but then the QLD and ACT managed to get the numbers to kick Mclennan out and everything was off the table after that.

Personally I think the best course would be to ditch super rugby altogether and invest in a domestic provincial comp, maybe have a knock out comp with NZ teams like the heineken cup in NH. But that would be a lot of short term pain and I dont think RA are in the financial position to do that now.

There has to be close to a call for a Royal Commission into what has happened to Rugby in Australia over the past 15+ years.

Absolute farce of what used to be a great sport to watch. They had chances and for reasons I don't know, keep failing.

Shame, real shame.
Funnily enough super rugby was quite entertaining this year after being really boring for ages, probably due to Aus teams being more competitive following a large number of all blacks going to NH/Japan post world cup.

Shame, real shame.

I'll tell you what happened...

They closed ranks and made it an elitist/private school code and ostracised the ones who wanted to see it (the average, middle class)

20 years ago while it was the "rich" code of Australia, it embraced the plebs who actually spent money

I'll tell you what happened...

They closed ranks and made it an elitist/private school code and ostracised the ones who wanted to see it (the average, middle class)

20 years ago while it was the "rich" code of Australia, it embraced the plebs who actually spent money
It at least there was some semblance of recognition in the general public in the early two thousands mainly due to the success of the Wallabies. There was a lot of promises after the 2003 world cup when they were cashed up about how they would challenge league.
But you are right reverted back to the old private school and has gone through bad administration after bad. I really don't see where union goes from here. It's broke , it can't or won't help sustain grass roots rugby or grow the game in the non traditional states. It can only just about survive in its heartland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back