HFC10

Rookie
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Something struck me watching the Melbourne Storm from the comfort of my lounge room on Friday afternoon. How good is the side? More so, how well coached is this side?

I grew up in Melbourne watching the Storm on a regular basis but due to the ineptness of channel 9 they were the only games I could watch. I moved to Brisbane 2 years ago and watch a couple of games a week. The gulf between the Storm v Dragons game and the Roosters v Brisbane game was extraordinary.

What gets me with this Melbourne Storm outfit is their ability to constantly improve when they lose key players at the end of each season, this season will be no different, Aiden Tolman, Adam Blair and Jeff Lima will all want new and improved contracts. The Storm have played in 4 consecutive Grand Finals, won two (should have been 3), won the World Club Challenge and the first 4 games of the season. Wow. When have the players had a break?

Every good side around the world is built on a strong defence, there's none better than the Storm.
Craig Bellemy reminds me of Arsene Wenger the Arsenal manager. He has this uncanny ability to pick these players from obscurity and develop and nurture them into superstars. It's no wonder the players love him and attribute him to their successes. A host of players have arrived at Olympic Park and on minimum wage and left to exorbitant contract deals. Not to mention a host of players, ie/ Brett Finch excepting a lot less money to be part of a professional winning team.

Dane Neilson, Kevin Proctor, Hep Cahill, Jesse Bromwich, Luke Macdougall and Ryan Tandy who? Exactly. This team consistently churns through players but they all go out there and do their job to the minute detail. It such a well oiled, well drilled side. No fan fare, they just go out there time and time again and win.

Look out for when Brett White, Hoffman and Siku Manu return. Not to mention when Greg Inglis decides to turn up this season. Go Storm.

This thread is nothing more than a Melbourne Storm love in, but they impressed me last night and I had to tell someone other than my girlfriend who thought she was watching AFL.

Agree with every word!

Craig Bellamy plus the quartet of Inglis, Billy, Cronk and Cameron Smith is what makes this team a great one.

Bellamy has the knack of getting great performances out of discards, maybe because he can see the talent & strengths in players that others can't.

Look at Jeff Lima: he was swanning around in France, overweight and not performing: Bellamy has transformed him into a topline front rower, and a New Zealand international.

But the backbone to the team is Cameron Smith. he never does anything flashy or brilliant, but he has the best footy brain in the NRL, and is in the middle of every move.

Agree with every word!

Craig Bellamy plus the quartet of Inglis, Billy, Cronk and Cameron Smith is what makes this team a great one.

Bellamy has the knack of getting great performances out of discards, maybe because he can see the talent & strengths in players that others can't.

Look at Jeff Lima: he was swanning around in France, overweight and not performing: Bellamy has transformed him into a topline front rower, and a New Zealand international.

But the backbone to the team is Cameron Smith. he never does anything flashy or brilliant, but he has the best footy brain in the NRL, and is in the middle of every move.

Spot on. Looks like Jeff Lima is destined for West Tigers at the end of the season, no doubt on a fairly substantial contract as well!

Smith is the rock, geez he's good around the rucks. Really wish he'd kick straighter though, remember his misses in the Grand Final?!
Can't wait to see Luke Kelly come in during origin and eventually Smithy brother running round in the Storm colours!!

agreed, funny thing is, the NRL are doing everything in their power to try and bring melbourne back to the pack, meanwhile in the AFL, the admin is trying to do everything to keep the northern sides up the top

Agree with all the thoughts above.

Aiden Tolman is now under the radar of many NRL clubs being off-contract this year. He's only 21 and I would hate to lose him. The salary cap keeps biting the Storm each year, but we keep bouncing back somehow.

Agree with all the thoughts above.

Aiden Tolman is now under the radar of many NRL clubs being off-contract this year. He's only 21 and I would hate to lose him. The salary cap keeps biting the Storm each year, but we keep bouncing back somehow.

Spot on, thats the price you pay for success. Its been happening year in year out starting with Richard Swain to the Broncs. Seems that the players who leave are not quite the same as the were when they played in Melbourne, a sign of the good coaching we have had in place and the structure of the club

Very professional outfit. Will go close again this year.

go
419.gif
's

What I want to know is why people continually believe the Storm should get good television coverage in melbourne.
Their game against the Gold Coast averaged bugger all viewers(45k I was told) and tv networks shouldn't have to justify such low figures.
They are a good team but they should be made to earn their stripes before demanding quality free to air coverage.

What I want to know is why people continually believe the Storm should get good television coverage in melbourne.
Their game against the Gold Coast averaged bugger all viewers(45k I was told) and tv networks shouldn't have to justify such low figures.
They are a good team but they should be made to earn their stripes before demanding quality free to air coverage.

45k for a 11.50pm timeslot.

The Sydney Swans attract around 100-120k in prime Saturday evening slots.

45k was an excellent viewership given the timeslot.

You are missing the point: in Melbourne, we do not see ANY games on Channel 9.

What Melbourne supporters want is coverage in Melbourne. The only games we get are shown after midninght on Fridays.

If Channel 9 was interested in enabling the code to grow in Melbourne (and not just trying to win back the AFL coverage), they would show games on Friday evenings, and on Sunday afternoon like they do in Sydney. This applies to all NRL games, but particularly when Storm are playing.

I know several people who would never go to a game, but catch all the SOO on TV and love it. Without Foxtel, they have no chance in gaining interest in the game.

meltiger said:
45k for a 11.50pm timeslot.

The Sydney Swans attract around 100-120k in prime Saturday evening slots.

FTA has dropped a bit, but they (the Swans) have been going up against Fox as well.

meltiger said:
45k was an excellent viewership given the timeslot.

It was 40k, but still a very good result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

with the 1 7 9 combination they have down there (also now with their 6 adding his touches in) they will remain up the top for quite some time.
very well coached side

I have grown to love the Storm and Rugby League. As you can probably tell by my name, I am a St. Kilda devotee of the AFL kind. I often think about going to Storm games, but can't afford it after all my footy expenses. If the storm put 100- 200 seats aside for AFL supporters, who on showing their AFL membership could get to see 3 games in a season for a $50 membership, they would fill up the coffers and the ground.

Something struck me watching the Melbourne Storm from the comfort of my lounge room on Friday afternoon. How good is the side? More so, how well coached is this side?

I grew up in Melbourne watching the Storm on a regular basis but due to the ineptness of channel 9 they were the only games I could watch. I moved to Brisbane 2 years ago and watch a couple of games a week. The gulf between the Storm v Dragons game and the Roosters v Brisbane game was extraordinary.

What gets me with this Melbourne Storm outfit is their ability to constantly improve when they lose key players at the end of each season, this season will be no different, Aiden Tolman, Adam Blair and Jeff Lima will all want new and improved contracts. The Storm have played in 4 consecutive Grand Finals, won two (should have been 3), won the World Club Challenge and the first 4 games of the season. Wow. When have the players had a break?

Every good side around the world is built on a strong defence, there's none better than the Storm.
Craig Bellemy reminds me of Arsene Wenger the Arsenal manager. He has this uncanny ability to pick these players from obscurity and develop and nurture them into superstars. It's no wonder the players love him and attribute him to their successes. A host of players have arrived at Olympic Park and on minimum wage and left to exorbitant contract deals. Not to mention a host of players, ie/ Brett Finch excepting a lot less money to be part of a professional winning team.

Dane Neilson, Kevin Proctor, Hep Cahill, Jesse Bromwich, Luke Macdougall and Ryan Tandy who? Exactly. This team consistently churns through players but they all go out there and do their job to the minute detail. It such a well oiled, well drilled side. No fan fare, they just go out there time and time again and win.

Look out for when Brett White, Hoffman and Siku Manu return. Not to mention when Greg Inglis decides to turn up this season. Go Storm.

This thread is nothing more than a Melbourne Storm love in, but they impressed me last night and I had to tell someone other than my girlfriend who thought she was watching AFL.

Hey guy's how much is admission price for Monday nights game Storm v Manly ?
I went to ticket site but keep getting $32 ......???
That can't be right for a home an away game , can it ?

I have grown to love the Storm and Rugby League. As you can probably tell by my name, I am a St. Kilda devotee of the AFL kind. I often think about going to Storm games, but can't afford it after all my footy expenses. If the storm put 100- 200 seats aside for AFL supporters, who on showing their AFL membership could get to see 3 games in a season for a $50 membership, they would fill up the coffers and the ground.

I am sure there are many like you, maybe if you email the storm www.melbournestorm.com.au or phone the membership dept. 8412 4920 with your suggestion, its something they might consider for next year.
The closest package they have for this year is a 5 game membership (Adult Price) is $95 (not sure about the price of concession with this one if you are in that bracket) but you have to live in what they classify as a country area. If you knew someone, say in Geelong etc. and used their address, you would be right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne Storm - Love In.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back