Coach Men's Coaches 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Senior Coach: Brad Scott (thread)
reports to the Chief Executive Officer
  • Ben Jacobs – Assistant Coach (Defence)
  • Daniel Giansiracusa – Assistant Coach (Midfield)
  • Brent Stanton – Assistant Coach (Midfield)
  • Dale Tapping – Assistant Coach (Forwards)

Head of Development: Cam Roberts
reports to the General Manager, AFL
  • Travis Cloke – Development Coach (Forwards) & VFLW Head Coach (VFLW thread)
  • Michael Hurley – Development Coach (Backline), Jack Jones Academy & Player Welfare
  • Natalie Wood – Development Coach (Teaching & Education) & AFLW Senior Coach (Coach thread)

VFL Senior Coach: Blake Caracella (VFL thread)
  • Adam Potter – VFL Assistant Coach

Last edited:
Blake going back to the Tigers shows just how bloody stupid it was to have him coach the VFL. The VFL job is the second most important coaching job in the footy department. He is the guy that has to get the young AFL listed guys and the VFL guys playing the same brand of footy so that players can come in and out of the side without too many issues.
Now we are in a spot where we will be signing our 4th VFL coach in 4 years and all the work done with the current young VFL group may get undone again.
It was a seriously stupid move to park Blake there if they knew he was likely to go.
We have basically screwed up the VFL program 3 years in a row now.
They need to sign someone as head of development / VFL coach and make it a 3 year gig so we can bed down a proper VFL system.
**** the VFL, who cares? It's completely unimportant. The club only fields a side because the AFL makes them. Players can develop in match sim. You certainly wouldn't pick any important players to play in it.

**** the VFL, who cares? It's completely unimportant. The club only fields a side because the AFL makes them. Players can develop in match sim. You certainly wouldn't pick any important players to play in it.
Is this satire?

3504.jpg

Blake going back to the Tigers shows just how bloody stupid it was to have him coach the VFL. The VFL job is the second most important coaching job in the footy department. He is the guy that has to get the young AFL listed guys and the VFL guys playing the same brand of footy so that players can come in and out of the side without too many issues.
Now we are in a spot where we will be signing our 4th VFL coach in 4 years and all the work done with the current young VFL group may get undone again.
It was a seriously stupid move to park Blake there if they knew he was likely to go.
We have basically screwed up the VFL program 3 years in a row now.
They need to sign someone as head of development / VFL coach and make it a 3 year gig so we can bed down a proper VFL system.
I came here to say the same thing. So dumb have constant turnover in the vfl position. You need stability to build the culture of the vfl team/ the younger afl listed guys coming through. Just ridiculous. So we’ll lose most of the vfl list and have to start again, just after the team was starting to gel, which benefits the younger guys coming through a lot

I'm just glad we had him for 4 years. Clearly has had enough of us now, probably noticed the snails pace of the traction of the club. But he has one of the best AFL player/assistant coaching CV's in AFL history. We were lucky to have him but we also broke his long run of success. Also, it is kind of bizarre that he ends up back at the Tigers with Rutten as assistants again. They must really like the club, but what does this say about Essendon i wonder.

It's frustrating for the VFL side though, the players must feel pretty deflated that its so common now.

Last edited:
I'd be trying to get an experienced state league coach either at a senior or underage level with a history of leading a strong club (Williamstown, Port, Casey, Footscray, Southport or Geelong from a VFL standpoint, or Eastern, Oakleigh, Sandringham, Dandenong, Geelong Falcons from Coates League) to be VFL coach. Give him 3 years. We have to retain our VFL core of Hoare, O'Neill, Bailey Scott, Peris, Hartley, Nyko, Smartt, Eckersley and Foley. Get them to sign on and we'll be good.

I'd also like a refresh in the assistants. New forwards coach, new mids, new backs.

I would still try to lure Jordan Lewis into the fold somehow.

Obvious what he did at Hawthorne but I think it's understated that he really helped set a foundation for Melbourne's PF and flag.

I'm assuming Gia stays.
Not sure how Jacobs is seen overall but do we need an assistant to an assistant?
Tapping? I would have thought he would ne health focused more than been here.

We'll see I guess.

I would still try to lure Jordan Lewis into the fold somehow.

Obvious what he did at Hawthorne but I think it's understated that he really helped set a foundation for Melbourne's PF and flag.

I'm assuming Gia stays.
Not sure how Jacobs is seen overall but do we need an assistant to an assistant?
Tapping? I would have thought he would ne health focused more than been here.

We'll see I guess.
That is part of the development program.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How has that worked out do you think? Honest question because I find it hard to rate one way or another.
Some blokes are going okay. Others seem to be flat lining. But why not throw out the development coaches after a year or so. It can not be the players can it.

We have enough blokes stealing a (decent) wage at the footy club
So we go back to having none. You are always the same. Complain about how we have ****ed up the past and then complain when it is not fixed in 5 minutes.

Feels like I'm pissing into the wind suggesting this because of jobs for the boys, but we need to get some better assistants. Start by pissing Jacobs and Stanton off. Forward line has been abysmal so I wouldn't be adverse to Tapping hitting the bricks either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Coaches 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back